Fenix TA30 ?Issue?

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that when I leave this light in the drawer for a couple/ few months, with 3 fresh cr123's, when I take it out to use it, the batteries are dead. This defeats one of the main purposes that I love about lithium ions, the 10 year shelf life an long battery life when not in use. I have avout 10 other li battery FL's, including Seven, Fenix, Olight and a few other respected brands, and none of them do this-- many have had the same batteries in them for years, with occasional use, and still light right up when I pull 'em out.

Is the circuit in this thing different somehow, and this is maybe normal for this light? Or did I get a lemon. I have had the thing a year or so, maybe more so I imagine it is out of warranty. I am exprimenting with loosening the tail a bit for storage, thinking that breaking the contact will allow the batts to retain their juice for a reasonable storage period (years for these types of batts). Have to say, I love this light, with it's 4 setting ring swich and bright setting (I forget how many lums, but it is a healthy 3 cr123's worth), but this aspect is very dissappointing.:mad:

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Have you try these batteries in other flashlight?

As far as I know, the Fenix got two years warranty about the free repair.

And I am sorry to tell that I also don't know the really reason of your problem.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have used several sets of batteries, including rechargeables used in other lights. Definitely not the batteries. Maybe it's time to call Fenix.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
TA30 uses mechanical switch. This means there is no current path to the circuit, when the switch is off. If the light drains your batteries it means, that there is current flow despite switch is in off position. You may unscrew the switch mechanism, clean it and put it back together ...make sure there nothing that connect spring with outer retaining ring. If this doesn't help, just unscrew the tailcap while storing the light.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's time to call Fenix.

I have noticed that when I leave this light in the drawer for a couple/ few months, with 3 fresh cr123's, when I take it out to use it, the batteries are dead. I am exprimenting with loosening the tail a bit for storage, thinking that breaking the contact will allow the batts to retain their juice for a reasonable storage period (years for these types of batts).

I agree.
The light has mechanical side-mode selector ring to change the different levels of output and tail-switch for on/off. So I think you need to loosen the tailcap a little for lock-out.
I'm not sure if there is parasitic drain for the light when the tailcap is tightend for switching off. But you can ask Fenix.
Good luck!

KH

00Madz

Newly Enlightened
Hi - it sounds strange - I have a Fenix TA30 and my initial set of primaries lasted well over a year of light weekly use in the torch. I got Dad the same torch and in almost 2 years he's never replaced the batteries! I hope you can get to the bottom of it as they are great torches.
Cheers
Mick

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
Update 1 1/2 years later: I unsxrewed the tail light a bit, as suggested, and it solve the problem. Still going on the same charge all this time, albeit with very little use. However, I am not pleased that I need to perform this maneuvre each time I put away the light. I was too lazy to send it back to Fenix, though, and I am sure the warrenty is out now. Plus I have so many other lights now, lol.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Hi srmd22!

I understand it's annoying to have to lockout the tailcap when it shouldn't be needed.
What coolperl wrote sounds wise.
If you have a DMM you can check the tailcap if there is a closed or open circuit when switched off.
I have read before about somebody having som metallic dust/flakes shortening the switch when it was clicked off.
It's an old and discontinued light so it might be hard to get it fixed from Fenix.
Maybe it's a standard switch that can be easily replaced if needed.

TA30 uses mechanical switch. This means there is no current path to the circuit, when the switch is off. If the light drains your batteries it means, that there is current flow despite switch is in off position. You may unscrew the switch mechanism, clean it and put it back together ...make sure there nothing that connect spring with outer retaining ring. If this doesn't help, just unscrew the tailcap while storing the light.

Btw: I (and some others) had a problem that the return key didn't work on CPF when using Internet Explorer but I just realized that itworks now. :twothumbs

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the tailcap, trying to figure out how to dismantle it for cleaning, but it is not obvious to me. Their is a silver colored metal round piece under the spring, inside, with two tiny holes, but no screws or apparent way to detach the parts....?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Look at this videoclip:

www.fenixlight.com/ServiceVideo.aspx

fenix used to have several clips incl one when they took a tailcap apart.

In this clip they don't, but there is one part when they tighten the retaining ring in the tailcap.

Unscrew the retaining ring and you can take the switch and switch boot out.
Put together in reverse order.
Maybe you can figure out if the switch is OK and if it's not maybe you can find a fitting switch somewhere.
If you can't get it from Fenix I'm sure somebody here now where to find one.