Looking for a vehicle mounted (12v input) LED light for ambulance.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
My brother-in-law is a paramedic and I recently introduced him to high power flashlights. Right now he is using a JetBeam BC40 to look for house numbers because it is so much brighter than their mounted spot light. The batteries don't always last all shift. He asked me if anyone makes a vehicle mounted option that would plug into a 12v vehicle power supply.

Is anyone currently making a 12v plug-in flashlight that is as bright/brighter than the BC40 (800+ lumens)? Mounted would be nice, but a simple plug-in flashlight would work too.

vaizki

Newly Enlightened
Loads of 35W HID searchlights around that plug into 12V and give out a nice (claimed) 3000 lumens. Many of them mounted via magnet with wireless small remotes or wired joystick remote. I think the price range is $500-$1000 depending on features. Also available with a pistol grip handheld ballast + bulb combo for cheaper..

H3 bulb searchlights also a very inexpensive option when running off 12V plugged in. But that's what the mounted spotlight probably has in it.. and I'm a bit surprised that it's not doing it's job.. is it too floody then?

If you want led or have a specific budget in mind, please enlighten us :)

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
He said the BC40 blows the stock searchlight away. I think the stock searchlight is both dim and floody (I believe it's the same as the lights that are mounted on the door of police cruisers). I do wonder if floody incans appear dim when used this way because the addition of the flashers on top possibly drowns out the weak stock light. The cool throwy light of an LED may appear brighter.

He is looking for an option that has the same output and beam characteristics of his XM-L in a large head, I think he really wants to go the LED route.
He talked about building one, but I think he'd get in over his head with the required heatsinking and custom body building he would need (he used to be in tool and die, but knows little about electronics/LEDs).
He'd like to spend less than $200 and a complete unit would be best.

I was wondering about hooking up a triple-XML/Triple-18650 light directly to the 12v power supply. I just wonder how well the driver would handle the dirty power it provides...

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you'd think that the manufacturers would get it into gear and tap into that huge 12vdc market!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Discharges at ~C/2 and charges at ~120/1.5 = ~80C?
Stand back!

Yes... What's you're not seeing, is that it doesn't have cells for a battery. It uses large capacitors instead. So there is no chemical reaction to store the electricity, and therefore the caps can charge at enormous rates that wouldn't be possible with cells. Then the discharge rate is managed by the PCB. It's really quite clever.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with them, and don't even own one (yet)! I just like good ideas, and this seemed to me like a really good one.