Opinions wanted... Who has the better UI, RDS Clicky or Zebralight?

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to get a RA Rotary but the inability to use a clip has me looking at other options, namely the Clicky 200. I have a zebralight SC31w that has a great interface and I am wondering how they compare. If the clicky isn't as good then I doubt I will be enticed to give it a whirl and may still give the rotary a go.

What are your thoughts when comparing the clicky and the zebralight? Is one better?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have both, i prefer the zebralight because it doesnt have to be programmed. Youre just a couple clicks away from any level possible, unlike the hds which requires some advancex steps to get to levels you dont have preprogrammed.

Dont get me wrong, i love everything about my hds including the interface/ programmability. But nothing touches the zebralight ui.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the HDS the best.
The HDS doesn't require that you lock-out the tailcap to carry the light in your pocket.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
Its a shame that your put off the rotary because of the clip because i have one & the UI is second to none,i can't speak highly enough of
this light,it goes with me everywhere.:)

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
For day to day carrying with the relaxing handshake grip, held at the level of the thighs, the Zebralight's side button is best.
To look at something in particular, the overhand grip, or the pen/cigar hold, held at chest level or high up above the shoulders, the Clicky's tail end switch is best.
In an ideal world, a flashlight would have both switches, so that both grips could be used according to the situation...

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a zebralight SC31w that has a great interface and I am wondering how they compare.

You may have answered your own question? There will be as many answers as there are members. And I have no allegiance to any manufacturer (nor do the other members.) My personal opinion is that the Zebralight is one of the best interfaces going - it is intuitive and allows 6 well spaced levels from only '3' positions.

Having said that, if you need infinite control, the Rotary would be a great choice. Every user is different, and I find that for my own uses I typically use a very low low, and a high. But that's just me.

If you don't need infinite control, then you'd probably continue to be happy with the Zebralight.

Sorry - I just read my response and it reads like a "definite maybe":eek:...but every user has their needs and wants. Although I have total respect for everyone else's opinion, mine is either go with the Rotary or stick with the Zebralight.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Such is true. My SC60 is a great light. But my Rotary is better. I can't comment on a clicky as I dont have one but I do know how they work. I would take a zebralights UI over the Clicky's UI but I would take the Rotary's UI by far over either of these two. It just doesn't get much better than the Rotary. Its sitting in my pocket right now and I would never know its even there in regular jeans. I dont like clips though so for that I would be biased.

Acid87

Enlightened
I have to agree Zebralights UI is great. Really simple and easy to cycle. The clicks can be over complicated or using the HDS clicky defaults is also fairly simple.

Love both for different reasons though.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Some of you are confusing UI with programming? Once programmed, the HDS has the best UI. It's not like you need to program it every time you use it...It allows you to select the exact level you want as your presets.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that most understand the difference, and as I stated, everyone has their own opinion. The reason I maintain that the Zebra UI is better than the Clicky is that you can still access 6 levels from the UI WITHOUT ENTERING PROGRAMMING. Having said that, I LOVE HDS lights and the interface. This isn't meant as a put down on any of the HDS lights or interfaces - or programming for that matter, as the HDS lights are proven and loved by many for GOOD REASON.

Of course, the Rotary is an elegant and simple solution!!

Acid87

Enlightened
shane45_1911 said:
Some of you are confusing UI with programming? Once programmed, the HDS has the best UI. It's not like you need to program it every time you use it...It allows you to select the exact level you want as your presets.

Not at all. My post I did mention the programming is a pain in the bottom. The Zebralight UI is simpler though. Every mode has a click to a different mode. HDS UI is still easy but only allows three modes.

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
Great you open this thread Biginboca.

Because I wanted a new light and couldn't decide between a Zebralight SC31w and the new HDS rotary.
I know they are quite different, but eventually I want them both.

But this thread helps me to get some opinions about the UI-concepts and may help me to decide which light to buy first :D

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a HDS clicky, and a variety of zebras.

i would have to give the nod to HDS clicky UI.
being able to program your brightness levels, and how its accessed, with the options of momentary, stobes, and a bunch of other options makes it better to me.

the ZL UI is great too, one of the best for having so many different brightness'. only other multi-brightness UI i can think of that i like more is a control ring, such as what you get with the rotary, or sunwayman lights.

so, HDS clicky + rotary UI = best UI there is, i imagine.

I used my Clicky with a lanyard, it was more comfortable than with the clip.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all. My post I did mention the programming is a pain in the bottom. The Zebralight UI is simpler though. Every mode has a click to a different mode. HDS UI is still easy but only allows three modes.

my clicky had 4 mores.

1. click on.
2. double click hold
3. double click
4. triple click

TDK9

Newly Enlightened
For day to day carrying with the relaxing handshake grip, held at the level of the thighs, the Zebralight's side button is best.
To look at something in particular, the overhand grip, or the pen/cigar hold, held at chest level or high up above the shoulders, the Clicky's tail end switch is best.
In an ideal world, a flashlight would have both switches, so that both grips could be used according to the situation...

Yes. Spark SL6-800 is ideal to use.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have NovaTac 120P, which is essentially the HDS UI, and I have the ZL SC600. It's really kind of tough to pick one over the other, as they each have unique qualities which might appeal more to one person or another.

What I miss on the Zebralight is a function which I use constantly on the NovaTac, and that's press and hold for momentary high, either from off, or any level. What's cool about that UI is that I could also set it up for momentary strobe from either off or any level.

That's where the HDS/NovaTac UI shines........it's programmability, letting each user decide how they want to set up the UI. Last level used memory, or not..... your choice. Momentary on, or not...... your choice. A quick click to turn on high, or low, or any level in between....... your choice. Have the light turn off after 10 minutes, or not...... your choice.

However, after using the SC600 for only a week, I've come to seriously appreciate it's simplicity and usability. A very well thought out and implemented UI.

Honestly, what would be the best for me would be to incorporate the HDS UI, but in the SC600 form factor, with that lovely, deep side switch.

So, both UIs are excellent, for different reasons, and what I think will end up making more of a difference is whether you want the end switch or the side switch. Personally, I'm sold on the side switch as implemented on the SC600.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really kind of tough to pick one over the other, as they each have unique qualities which might appeal more to one person or another...

Honestly, what would be the best for me would be to incorporate the HDS UI, but in the SC600 form factor, with that lovely, deep side switch.

So, both UIs are excellent, for different reasons, and what I think will end up making more of a difference is whether you want the end switch or the side switch...

+1

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Spark SL6-800 is ideal to use.

Thanks.
I never knew such a dual switch existed. This Spark SL6-800 has two truly interchangeable switches.
I knew about Klarus's double switch, but while the tail end was for momentary, on and off, their side switch merely changed brightness modes only, so it wasn't really a true dual switch...