New Kid on the Block - Niwalker NWK750 Real World Torture - PHOTO HEAVY

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE - further torture added HERE!
I'd like to add that there is a subtle but notable difference in this manufacturer, perhaps as related to other ROC light manufacturers. Niwalker is located in Taipei, Taiwan, and in my conversations with them I've noted that they are very proud of their quality control processes, and of course, their final products. They mention that there are quality differences between their processes and some of the other manufacturers who are based in China. It's not my intent to endorse the company as a whole, but if this particular light is indicative of their QC and final quality, they are making a very fine product. Understand, this isn't my idea of a true "EDC", but for a search light, military, law enforcement, etc., where the need is a rugged product with extreme throw and high output, this seems to be an ideal tool.

I am very pleased and honored that a "new" manufacturer of quality flashlights asked me to 'torture' one of their lights! Actually, this particular manufacturer has been manufacturing high quality lights for many years, so they have a great deal of experience – but now they are entering the market with their own brand of lights.

Introducing "Niwalker", and their first product destined for sale, the NW750.
I won't attempt to provide a full review – my understanding is that Selfbuilt will be doing one of his excellent reviews and mine cannot 'hold a candle' (no pun intended) to his. Still, this is an impressive and strikingly beautiful light, so I will share a few photos.

IMG_6090.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

A very deep and smooth reflector - with a 'nugget of goodness' at the base, a nicely tinted XML
IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

Here's a side-by-side with a McGizmo Haiku (for size reference)
IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

These lights are designed for harsh work environments – the beauty is more than skin deep. The threads are beefy and the walls of the light are thick aluminum. In the photos below the light is shown next to a VERY popular and well known manufacturer's light – this is the front where the body meets the head:
IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

Here are 2 photos of the rear, where the body meets tail cap
IMG_6127.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

There and many options for configuration and function, but I'm going to leave that to Selfbuilt and jump right into the torture testing.

Now, I can guess what some of you will say. You will correctly report that some manufacturers subject their lights to more harsh tests that the ones than I am doing. I know that Niwalker conducts far more strenuous tests also! My goal is to try and replicate harsh environments that a light might encounter in actual use. A soldier, law enforcement officer, guard, mechanic, or similar. And in spite of all the abuse we can think of, it is doubtful that any of these user's lights would be subjected to boiling water or spending days at the bottom of a pool. Oh, sure – it might happen, but probably not. Regardless, I think these tests will simulate conditions significantly more abusive than what would happen in the real world!

So first up, I took advantage of a late October freak ice storm/rainy day here in northern Virginia. What if I'm an LEO (I'm not) and I drop my light outdoors on a rainy day? Here you see the Niwalker going for a 3 hour dunk in a 5 gallon bucket of water, placed outside on a cold day with rain continuing to fall.
IMG_6107.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

After 3 hours - no problems encountered
IMG_6116.JPG

Next up, the light encounters the "Hot squad car on a sunny day in Phoenix" test – placed into my oven at 200 degrees F for 90 minutes. As the infrared thermometer shows, the oven actually exceeded 210 degrees.
P1030318.JPG

P1030320.JPG

P1030323.JPG

Upon removing the light from the oven, the temp starts to drop quickly and by the time I grabbed my thermometer to read the temp it had dropped to 202 F
P1030328.JPG

Did it still work? Sure! And yes, the batteries WERE in the light during testing.:eek:
P1030331.JPG

What if the light was dropped outdoors in the snow and left to freeze into a snow bank? Or dropped into a pond and left to freeze overnight?
To simulate, I put the light in a container, filled it with water and left it in the freezer overnight
P1030332.JPG

P1030334.JPG

And the next morning?
P1030335.JPG

P1030337.JPG

P1030338.JPG

"Lightcicle!!"
P1030339.JPG

How to get it out? Let's use hot, running water!

At the end of the video, you are seeing a 'puck' of ice that froze inside the bezel ring...

As you can see, the Niwalker light shrugged off all of these tests…almost as if to say, "Really? Is that all you can do to me?" Well, it isn't all I can do! This was the 'easy' portion of the test – next weekend I'll add to this with my drop, throw, rock tumble tests!

But for the time being, I have to say that I am impressed. Certainly many a small light has been tested and survived, but this is a one pound (without batteries), 10 inch long light! So please check back next weekend for installment 2 of the Niwalker NWK750 Real World Torture Test!

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
Re: Real World Torture Test of a "New Player" Part 1 - the Niwalker NWK750 - PHOTO H

do some drop tests. with heads down tail up, so that it hits the ground perpendicular/normal to the ground and not "flat".

the torch looks heavy. it (the glass or reflector) should break if you let it repeatedly fall on the ground THIS WAY on a flat hard surface (e.g. marble floor or tiles floor; not asphalt or concrete).

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Real World Torture Test of a "New Player" Part 1 - the Niwalker NWK750 - PHOTO H

do some drop tests. with head downs tail up, so that it hits the ground perpendicular/normal to the ground and not "flat".

I intend to - thanks! This coming weekend....incidentally, as the weight is seriously biased towards the lens, it will surely orient to tail up if the drop is from any distance

scout24

Flashaholic

Mmmm.... Creme brulee! :) Looks like a nice beefy light! Looking forward to the impact abuse.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be interested in testing one of their T5C-2AA's. Looks like a nice light. I wonder if one could get it with a 3 mode H-M-L, instead of H-L-Flashing? It uses a Cree XP-G R-5.

name: T5C-2AA Material: T6061-T6 Aluminum
Finishing: Military grade anodizing (type III)
LED Type: CREE XPG R5 180 lumens
Battery Type: 2*AA 2*rechargeable
Burn Time: 100 minutes
Dimension: 158*21mm
Net Weight: 66.5g
Switch: Hi/Lo/Strobe or per requested

yifu

Enlightened

Looking foward to the other tests!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a fun product line, looking forward to the reviews.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

DROP TESTS
Just getting started with this - these two short, very amateurish videos demonstrate the "head first" drop of the Niwalker NW750 approximately 15 feet down to a concrete block. I confess that I cringed at the thought. If the light hit 'just' the wrong way, the lens could shatter, or any other number of 'bad things' could happen. So I convinced my wife (of 23 years - an angel who puts up with me!) to drop it out the window not once, but twice.

No damage other than the expected finish abrasions - so let's try that again! Sorry for how short this particular video is!

Later today I'll be adding additional drop and throw tests, but for now I am impressed!

Bass

Enlightened

Awesome Dan! You may have found a nice niche torture testing lights for manufacturers. A shrewd move by Niwalker; I can see this thread getting a lot of attention and credibility for them. Your tests are excellent. Congratulations.

Do you have anymore information on Niwalker? I guess they are an OEM manufacturer; do you know who they build for - anyone outside of the Taiwanese market? I ask, and probably a bit OT, because there are similarities to Thrunite Catapult - looks to be an identical front bezel, lens gasket arrangement, same thickness internal walls for the tube and tail and the machining / detailing / Ano look familiar?

Anyways, great job and looking forward to part 2 :popcorn:

richpalm

Banned
Re: Parts 2 and 3 Added - the Niwalker NWK750 Real World Torture - PHOTO HEAVY

Where do we buy these beauties?

Rich

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

And we continue...this post will be quite photo and video heavy. Here's what the light looked like following the 2 drops from 15 feet:
P1030346.JPG

P1030347.JPG

P1030348.JPG

So now it's time for further abuse. The following video occurs in 4 segments. In segment 1, I throw the light about 10 feet against my wooden fence, then it clatters to the ground hitting sharp gravel and concrete block.

Next, I placed the light in a bag filled with pebbles and beach sand and dropped it repeatedly. I noticed that it wasn't on, so I took it out and it wouldn't come on! I unscrewed the tail cap, screwed it back on and the light worked fine.

P1030350.JPG

I continued to drop the light - on the last drop directly against the tail cap, the light stopped working! This time the removal and replacement of the tail cap didn't correct the situation, so I removed the batteries and lo and behold, the buttons on both AW18650s were flattened and actually sunk into the battery body (see the photos after the video.)

IMG_6132.JPG

I replaced the batteries and the light worked perfectly! This is one tough light!

The remaining photos show the light with various gouges and markings on the body, head and tail cap. I, for one, have no issue with the light taking a few marks in the skin. I REALLY abused it - sharp gravel and concrete that was less than 'smooth.' It was suggested that I drop it on tile or marble with the thought that the glass would break - I don't think so. You can count the repeated drops, the throw - all this after the light was subjected to being 'drowned', baked and frozen.
IMG_6135.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

So, temperature extremes, dropping in a pool, dropping from a second story window, dropping in sand in the desert, dropping on the pavement while running - none of it phased the lights. And as for the AW batteries, I put small magnets on the ends of the batteries and THEY still worked (although they may be 'retired in the name of science...' :devil:
IMG_6134.JPG

If you are looking for further information about where to find these lights, I don't think that they have been released to the general public just yet, but you can look back a few photos and at the original post and easily find their web site address.

And for those of you with a decidedly sadistic bent, no, I don't plan to drag the light behind a car, boil it in water, shoot it with my .40 cal, or any other additional abuse. It seems tough enough for me!!:twothumbs:devil:

IMG_6144.JPG

scout24

Flashaholic

My hat's off to you Dan for the time and effort to do this, and to Niwalker for the solid build of the light! Impressive. :thumbsup: :bow:

Bass

Enlightened

Very nice work! The light took it well :) For those looking for a reliable light that can take knocks this proves the reliability.

The weakest link here seems to be the glass and batteries and only because of the weight and size of this thing. When Niwalker show us some smaller lights anything is possible :whistle:

I had a chuckle to myself when watching your videos - your poor pets are oblivious to it all, they must be used to things like this happening daily LOL!

Any info on other models and where we can get these from?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

My hat's off to you Dan for the time and effort to do this, and to Niwalker for the solid build of the light! Impressive. :thumbsup: :bow:

Very nice work! The light took it well :) For those looking for a reliable light that can take knocks this proves the reliability.

The weakest link here seems to be the glass and batteries and only because of the weight and size of this thing. When Niwalker show us some smaller lights anything is possible :whistle:

I had a chuckle to myself when watching your videos - your poor pets are oblivious to it all, they must be used to things like this happening daily LOL!

Any info on other models and where we can get these from?

Thank you, gentlemen! Yep, it's a tough light - and while I agree on the weak links, the glass is easy to get to should it need replacing. I suppose that the fact that the batteries 'buttons' (where the protection circuits are housed) speaks to the level of force of impact.

As for Sassy, the tortie kitty, she knows I'm nuts...and Heidi, the Sheltie in the background, she's oblivious! The tabby cat Tigger and the old Sheltie Penny both decided that it was just another boring experiment and didn't bother to come outside on this chilly northern Virginia day!

As to where to find the lights, their web site information can be seen on the tail cap in the first post and in the part 3 of the abuse posting. I don't think they are yet available for purchase, but hopefully very soon! Perhaps the manufacturer will post in the thread soon and give us more information?

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened

On the first video where you throw it against the fence, did the light flicker shortly after it landed on the ground?

And, thank you for your great hardcore tests.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes it did - thanks for mentioning that - I meant to do so and forgot. My belief is that the batteries were already partially damaged after the 2 head first drops from 15 feet. No further flickering noticed after correcting the batteries.

Thank you!
On the first video where you throw it against the fence, did the light flicker shortly after it landed on the ground?

And, thank you for your great hardcore tests.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

This brand could get interesting.

A re-birth of the Tiablo?