I'm still alive, but am I a flashoholic?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man CPF sure looks different, I have probably posted no more than 15 times in the last 1.5 years, I have bought even less lights in that time frame. For any newbies around here I use to post a lot back in 2008-up till around 2010. They say you can't cure flashohlisum, I'm not sure if that's true or not now. Can you guys re-convert me? What in the world of flashlights has happened in the last year+. All I know is There is this X-LM led that makes 1,000 lumens or something and ma_sha1 makes really awesome long range throwers:cool:.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get excited about new LEDs, or even just curious, then you're still a flashaholic. Batteries have continued their slow march towards holding enough power to boil an egg across a football field. LEDs have slowly increased in efficiency but particularly in ability to carry tons of power - 2A is common now. But these have larger phosphors and dies, leading to less-throwy beams or more careful reflector/optic design. The older, lower-power, smaller LEDs are used for monster throw. Incandescent bulbs haven't changed much, but HID short-arc lamps are becoming more popular in the 25w+ range due to quick-start ballasts.

Welcome back, you'll see much of the same I hope.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
RUN!!! For the love of all that is holy! RUN!
The XML lights will drain your wallet faster than pork through a goose!

So whatever you do, don't look at the Zebralight SC600, or the Nightcore TM11, or the Spark SL6-800CW,and for goodness sake, stay away from 4 Seven's website and the XML Quarks!

Save youself. It's too late for the rest of us!

nbp

Flashaholic
QTC, HDS Rotary, gazillions of crazy high output P60 dropins, Cerakoting stuff, Oveready.com

Couple things that came to mind.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I'm just extricating myself now. :)

I am blessed in this community with having the ability to be 'complete'. A feeling which is strived for but never attained, when one is an addict.

carrot

Flashaholic
Fortunately you didn't miss too much that can't be corrected at PF17 this weekend. Why don't you come for a visit at Milky's?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hi Jug, thanks for the prompt response to my PM. LOL!! :crackup:

I'm unsure if you know that one of my two big CPF things are LED P60 dropins in SureFire hosts, but since you mentioned XM-L's, there have been some pretty amazing LED dropins recently, and the XM-L should become an important aspect of that. At least, that's what I've been finding of interest recently ...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, I guess I have a lot to look up.

Fortunately you didn't miss too much that can't be corrected at PF17 this weekend. Why don't you come for a visit at Milky's?

Seriously this weekend:party:? I may just have to come on down, it's a long drive, but one I haven't made in a long time!

but HID short-arc lamps are becoming more popular in the 25w+ range due to quick-start ballasts.
Like Production? Or custom, and how much, who is offering them?

Last edited:

abinok

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking the same thing. I logged back onto the site after a couple year absence about 2 months ago.

now i have a tripple sst90 light that draws over 20 amps!

in july I didn't even know 2000+ leds existed.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just extricating myself now. :)

I am blessed in this community with having the ability to be 'complete'. A feeling which is strived for but never attained, when one is an addict.

I guess then I've grown out of flashaholism. I used to want to buy everything than scrolled past on the screen. I haven't wanted a new light in months, and have sold most of my collection, after having determined my exact needs and fulfilled them.

Of course, the need will come back, once LED tech gets to where I want it to be :)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back Juggernaut.

I took a 10 month hiatus and only recently came back.
During my time away from here (and not buying ANY lights for a whole year :eek:) I figured out what I need (versus want) and am happier for it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I took a 10 month hiatus and only recently came back.
Funny but last week I just came back from a ~8 month hiatus. Must have been a quiet summer around here. ;)

Edit: Not sure if we're going OT with Jug's thread here. I'll be around and can move it to another subforum such as the /Cafe/ at any time, whatever the OP would like. I'll assume he wants it in /General/ for the time being, discussing new flashlight tech.

Last edited:

kubolaw

Enlightened
I'm also interested in this - perhaps it will re-kindle my flashoholism as well. (I used to think my L0D with 10440 was the bees knees)

chanjyj

Enlightened
Sounds like me.. quite a while has passed since I pop by. My last purchase - a Surefire Saint. Collection getting old.