Love My New Hobby

yeg780

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I recently purchased a Fenix LD10 (my first real light). I posted the following message in the New Member section but was told to start a thread here instead, so here it is:

"I like gadgets (I'm the gadget guy among my friends and family) and it seemed to me the next logical choice was flashlights. I never knew the importance of having a good one until I came across this forum. I mean I have my two maglites and I thought those were the best you could get. Then one day, I'm on the internet and do a quick google for maglite and then found this place. I'm ok with spending money, as long as it is good quality. I hate having to replace things that I buy (like the numerous cheapy lights I bought over the years from walmart).

So, do you suggest I stick with a specific brand to meet my flashlight needs or should I buy into a number of different brands? Right now I really don't want to break the bank and I guess a price range of $50 - $150 would be ok. Noob question, I know, but if I'm committing to this hobby then I want to start right. Thanks for suggestions and comments in advance."

I'm into photography and when I buy lenses I never buy anything with similar focal lengths. Can I apply a similar method/thinking to buying flashlights? Again, I'm new here so please forgive my lack of knowledge :)

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm new to the flashlight thing as well.

Only advice I would give is buy 4 or more good quality 18650 batteries and charger and purchase lights that use the 18650's. Good batts, in my experience, are in order of preference (based on e-cigarette experience)..AW, Pila, Panasonic then Trustfire and Ultrafire.

Oh and stick with brand names like Fenix etc...they generally wait for the technology to pan out and worry about more important things like reliability and run time.

Last edited:

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty new here too, I've gone on a bit of a spending splurge since starting this hobby- like you I'm a gadget guy!

I've bought a lot of lights lately, different brands, battery types, UIs, etc. I'll probably find a form factor/UI/brand/battery type I like then concentrate on that, sell unused lights or gift them.

Check out the marketplace here, it's a great source of 2ndhand or nearly new lights and cheaper than buying new, great for investigating and evaluating different lights.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Hey, I'm new to the flashlight thing as well.

Only advice I would give is buy 4 or more good quality 18650 batteries and charger and purchase lights that use the 18650's. Good batts, in my experience, are in order of preference (based on e-cigarette experience)..AW, Pila, Panasonic then Trustfire and Ultrafire.

Oh and stick with brand names like Fenix etc...they generally wait for the technology to pan out and worry about more important things like reliability and run time.

You're joking, right?

If you want reliability, then stick with American brands like HDS System, SureFire, Malkoff, etc.

If you want high value (more lumens per dollar) lights, go for China-based manufacturers like Fenix, 4Sevens, ZebraLight.

Speaking from first hand experience there, as someone who puts illumination tools to the test.

thaugen

Enlightened
I agree with Quicksilver on this one...HDS, Malkoff and Surefire is where I ended up after trying lots of different lights. Zebralight, 4-sevens, Fenix, Nitecore all make great lights, but I was blown away by the quality of my HDS, Malkoff and Surefire lights. Try the rest and you'll end up with the best...

yeg780

Newly Enlightened
Oh the poor bank account is going to take a beating over the next few months :) This is one of the things I enjoy about gadgets... researching and trying to find the best.

Right now I'm looking for a light that only takes AA as my wife will want something that is easy to use and if batteries become complicated she will not use a light. I enjoy my LD10 but if I buy her the same then that's boring for me. Also, does anyone know of a light that silently turns on (no click sound)? I used my light this morning to check on my new born and the LD10 sounded like a gun shot in the quiet of the night :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, yeg. Are you really sure you want to hang around here? Be sure to check out the Zebralights. The switches are almost silent.

Geoff

yifu

Enlightened
Oh the poor bank account is going to take a beating over the next few months :) This is one of the things I enjoy about gadgets... researching and trying to find the best.

Right now I'm looking for a light that only takes AA as my wife will want something that is easy to use and if batteries become complicated she will not use a light. I enjoy my LD10 but if I buy her the same then that's boring for me. Also, does anyone know of a light that silently turns on (no click sound)? I used my light this morning to check on my new born and the LD10 sounded like a gun shot in the quiet of the night :)

Yep, sounds like you should dig the Zebralight SC51. Runs on AAs, silent switch, smaller than the LD10, 200 lumens OTF as tested by Selfbuilt here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XP-E-Neutral)-1xAA-Reviews-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS
It runs about 50+ dollars. Sticking with AAs will limit the brightness/runtime (to about 800 lumens on the TK41)though and you will have to hop onto the li-on world someday. Oh, and use eneloops or low self discharge NiMHs is you plan on sticking with AAs. Alkalines tend to leak and provide you with bad runtimes with higher drains.

yeg780

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I'm done for! Checked out the Zebralight SC51 review that was suggested and it does seem to be the one I need to buy next :) I also looked at HDS and Surefire - all great choices for my next light. After I checked those I then headed to the McGizmo area and showed my wife a few of those. Her response, "If you like it then get it. But if you get it, I'm buying a new purse!" I put my wallet in the freezer after she said that :) I'm only going to buy one more light this year so I really need to do my research. Thank you to everyone who has offered their suggestions. Can't wait to see which one I end up with.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
nice choice on the LD10. be prepared to open up the wallet! its a good time for flashlights... technology has been moving fast, and lumens, size, and runtimes have drastically improved since like 10 years ago.

i too like my gadgets, and my understanding is that all will fail eventually. thats why lifetime warranties are so worth it. if not that, at least be able to easily replace parts.
HDS, Surefire, and Malkoff are some highly regarded makers here at CPF with lifetime warranties.

ive tried out many brands, some i like more than others... i think its really personal preference in what works for you, and what you like and want.

some things that you might want to check out....
neutral tints, warm tints, high CRI LEDs.
P60
McGizmo lights.
customs :naughty: