Does this DX spotlight has insane throw?

bibihang

Newly Enlightened
I have found a very big reflector spotlight from DX with XP-G R5 LED.

DX link deleted, SKU # 94992

rechargeable-5w-220-lumen-2-mode-cree-xp-g-led-white-light-spotlight-searchlight-94992

So does anyone has tried this? The reflector is really big for the XP-G, but it isn't too deep, so can it still throw insanely far?:sssh:

Last edited by a moderator:

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
I'd say that with a large and (kinda) shallow reflector you'll get a wide spill and moderate throw... but for the price... perhaps check out the Jetbam BC40 with the Xm-l... which gives both nice throw and flood. It's also available in Cool/Neutral/ and I think Warm tints.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say not.

It looks like they have taken the body from a lead-acid powered halogen spotlight and swapped the battery for a small li-ion (about 2 x18650s) and the incandescent bulb for a LED. The reflector will probably have been designed for a bulb that sticks further forward than the LED does so the beam is probably a mess. With only 300 lm quoted I doubt this does much and is very large. Personally I can't see any good reason to buy this when you could get the same performance from something much smaller and with replaceable batteries.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would normally call that beam butt-ugly but I think that would be an insult to butts.

davecroft

Enlightened
That LED looks a bit lost in there!

BTW, I've often wondered if the reason LED lights don't generally throw much is because it isn't easy to reflect light from the back of the emitter (because it is mounted on a circuit board)? With a normal bulb the filament is suspended so it is possible to gather light coming from the filament in all directions and reflect it forward. But with a LED you can only try to design reflectors to use light coming from the front and side of the LED.

Just my thoughts as someone who knows nothing much about the subject! I'm sure someone can explain if I'm correct?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
That LED looks a bit lost in there!

BTW, I've often wondered if the reason LED lights don't generally throw much is because it isn't easy to reflect light from the back of the emitter (because it is mounted on a circuit board)? With a normal bulb the filament is suspended so it is possible to gather light coming from the filament in all directions and reflect it forward. But with a LED you can only try to design reflectors to use light coming from the front and side of the LED.

Just my thoughts as someone who knows nothing much about the subject! I'm sure someone can explain if I'm correct?

I have quite a few LED lights that throw way farther than any incandescent I've ever seen. HID can throw farther because they generally put out more lumens (brute force counts for something) and the reflectors are quite a bit larger. This DX light should throw quite far with a 6.5" reflector but clearly it was not put together very well (what do you expect from DX). That is the worst donut hole I've ever seen. The dead spot in the center of the beam is massive.

Last edited: