Cheap aspheric flood to throw? -help

goa604

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Im looking for a way to build a cheap flood to throw flashlight.
After a day of searching ive found some parts that i would put together
but i came here first to ask and learn instead of just throwing money i dont have much .
Im a teenager so my budget is quite low.

i was wondering if this could be put together.

base/host

driver

LE diode

what do you guys think ?
thanks

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure your driver of choice won't fit in the body the dimensions are listed below the item on DX
But if it can you'll want 2 RCR123 cells to power it and you won't be able to use it for long since the cells will be draining and voltage will sag under a 3A draw
That said an XM-L is not the best for an aspheric light, the XR-E thats in the host will work the best. Giving a tighter focus, modding a larger host the driver will fit in and larger aspheric lens could get more lumens out but the beam will be larger because the XM-L die image being projected is not focused by a primary optic like the XR-E

goa604

Newly Enlightened
thanks for a reply .
could you suggest a different way to powerup that flashlight ?
my friend has exact same one . i really like the feel of it , but i feel it is no enough powerful.

moderator007

Enlightened
If you do not use the two cr123a then the 8-amc7135 2800ma driver will work I think with the other two battery combinations.
The XR-E is the better choice as stated by nein 166. If you keep the XR-E then it is possible to use the 4-amc7135 1400ma board.
This will overdrive the led a bit. It should increase the lumen output if keep cool enough. I have and several others have overdriven the XR-E to this current with out problems besides the usually shorter life expectancy. Both the drivers can be purchased at shiningbeam.com. The voltage max of the two drivers is 6v but the voltage does need to be lower. 3 AAA's will be 4.5v and will work fine. Nimh will give you more current and more light than alkalines. A Li-ion is best suited for the amc7135 drivers 4.2v.
jtr1962 got 335 lumens at 1400ma out of a XR-E R2 in his test here.

Last edited: