Which smaller light running on A or AA has the biggest WOW factor?

Jezo

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light to keep in my glove box or jacket pocket that runs on either A or AA batteries. I want to get one this go just for wow factor. Something that will surprise people when they see how much light can come out of a small package.

The Fenix LD20 is a nice size but is there something stronger with a throw that I can use to light up a house across the street? I dont want to get something big like the TK70, which I am sure would wow people who don't read about flashlights all day, but just something I can carry around when walking the dog type of thing.

Doesn't need to be one of those 2 inch compact lights either.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Are you thinking single cell lights or multiple cell lights? Most small lights are going to give you flood, but not much for throw. A case in point is the Xeno E03 which gives amazing output in a small size, but its all flood as is a light like a Thrunite Neutron or a Quark mini. The question is are you sure you really want throw? A lot of flood can also be impressive. (A xeno with a 14500 is very impressive for wow factor) Take a look at some reviews that give outdoor beamshots so you can see what the differences can be and see how the different lights compare in general. The Balder SE-1 I just reviewed has gobs of throw for a 1xaa light. It easily outthrows my LD20 when on 14500. The Xeno on 14500 doesn't throw nearly as far but has tons more overall output. Each are impressive to show off in their own right. You can also buy a compact light with an aspheric lens for throw. However, they tend to have absolutely no spill, just a very narrow, focused beam, but maybe that is what you want.

jondotcom

Enlightened
Olight i3 or ITP a3 with a 14400.

Tiny tiny tiny with the full WOW! response

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the XENO E03. I have 4 of them and run them with 14505 ( 3 volt li primaries from BJ ). They are fine with standard
AA's. With the 14505 they will light up the house across the street just fine. BTW if you get the E03, get the diffuser. It really is better than any other i have found and will turn the E03 into an impressive little lantern.

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the XENO E03. I have 4 of them and run them with 14505 ( 3 volt li primaries from BJ ). They are fine with standard
AA's. With the 14505 they will light up the house across the street just fine. BTW if you get the E03, get the diffuser. It really is better than any other i have found and will turn the E03 into an impressive little lantern.

I have a Xeno E03 and have always wonder how a 14505 3 volt lithium primary AA would be like. I have used Nimh and 14500's but never tried a 14505. I was just wondering how the output is compared to a Nimh and 14500 rechargeable. Runtime?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how large of a light you are looking for. My best wow light using AA cells is the SunwayMan M40A T6 XML. Amazing throw and output out of a smallish light running on 4AA cells.

I don't consider the TK70 to be wow at all. The thing is HUGE and people expect a huge light to put out a lot of lumens (and throw). Wow comes from lots of output and throw from a small light.

I'm also impressed by the Zebralight SC51 (1 AA cell) for the output it has - no throw at all though. The 4sevens Quark X (xml) 2AA is also quite impressive for a 2AA light. It leaves my LD20 in the dust. Again, not much throw at all though. I go back to the Sunwayman M40A XML T6 for the best wow out of a smallish light running on AA cells. (I have at least 25 AA lights).

Chidwack

Enlightened
I know what you're talking about as I'm really getting interested in lights that use AA NiMh batteries. I have several.

Quark AA2 Tactical. My first good AA light. It's a nice quality light with lots of modes but doesn't really give me the WOW factor that you have mentioned.

Klarus P2A and Jetbeam BA20. Both a little brighter than the Quark. Both have better throw and better battery run time on two AA NiMh batteries. They are very similar in size, weight, UI and the price is the same at $39.90 which is a bargin as far as I'm concerned. They both tail stand which is a feature that the Quark AA2 Tactical doesn't have. I get a little more WOW from these lights.

iTP C7. It's a discontinued model that uses one AA NiMh battery. Shiningbeam still has them and they are a bargin at about $25. It's not that this little light is so bright but that it has a small beam that thrown better than any of my other single AA lights. Feels like it's built like a tank. The WOW of this light is in the throw for a small single battery light along with the low price.

Xeno E03. Doesn't really give me any WOW with AA NiMh batteries but like stated before, pop in a 14500 Li/ion and let the WOW begin. Too bad that the WOW doesn't last very long because the light heats up fast and battery life on high with a 14500 is poor.

Zebra H51. The light output doesn't really inspire a WOW in me. The WOW from this light is that they have packed so many features in such a small light. Construction, build and finish are top of the line.

Now for a real WOW!!!!! Just got a couple of Fenix TK41 lights. Uses 8 AA NiMh batteries. Bought one for a friend and after lighting it up, I had to have one for myself. Is it small? Well that depends on how you relate it to other lights. It's only 8.5 inches long and about as big around as a D cell MagLight. Not something you can stick in your pocket unless you have big pockets. Still it's about the size of the 2 D cell flashlights that we all grew up with. One click on the forward mounted clicky and the WOW factor peaks pretty good. At 800 lumens, it's no slouch. Make no mistake, this light is a thrower. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have any spill because it does but boy does this baby throw. I pulled out my laser range finder and scoped out around the house. There are some trees off to the northwest that I ranged at over 500 yards. I'm not going to tell you that it illuminates them at that distance but I can still make them our. Out to 200-250 yards or more you can see everything. Makes an old barn at 125 yards look like someone turned the porch light on. I can't believe Fenix packed so much power and light into a handheld torch that only burns AA batteries. Got to love it. Oh by the way. The strobe is the most effective strobe that I have on any of my lights. Just looking at it shining on the wall makes me want to puke. WOW!

yifu

Enlightened
Any thing with a 14500 or a 10440 would have decent output on high, like a fenix LD10, Quark AA, QUark mini, itp,for 10440s: preon 1, maratacs, etc..

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
iTP C7. It's a discontinued model that uses one AA NiMh battery. Shiningbeam still has them and they are a bargin at about $25. It's not that this little light is so bright but that it has a small beam that thrown better than any of my other single AA lights. Feels like it's built like a tank. The WOW of this light is in the throw for a small single battery light along with the low price.

Just for reference, I have an ITP C7 and just tested it against the Balder SE-1. On both nimh and 14500, the SE-1 easily outthrows it. The reflector in the Se-1 is about the same size as the C7 and the emitter in Se-1 is an XP-E, a close cousin of the XR-E in the C7, but while the C7 only has a Q5 bin, the SE-1 has an R3 bin and the SE-1 drives the emitter much harder than the C7 making it easily better on throw. I love my C7 and there are things about the C7 I like better than the SE-1, but the SE-1 is easily a better thrower.

bleagh

Newly Enlightened
Well, for tiny and bright there is not much that can compare with the Peak Vesuvius.
XM-L led that runs with up to 1.9 amps with an IMR 10440 battery.
It's small size makes it almost pure flood, but it sure fits the bill for small and BRIGHT!

See the link in my previous post for thread with more info.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for tiny and bright there is not much that can compare with the Peak Vesuvius.
XM-L led that runs with up to 1.9 amps with an IMR 10440 battery.
It's small size makes it almost pure flood, but it sure fits the bill for small and BRIGHT!

See the link in my previous post for thread with more info.

That light is wow but (correct me if I'm wrong) I am pretty sure it only runs for 4 to 5 minutes on high before the battery is dead (and the skin on your hand is most likely burnt off by then too).

Jezo

Newly Enlightened
That light is wow but (correct me if I'm wrong) I am pretty sure it only runs for 4 to 5 minutes on high before the battery is dead (and the skin on your hand is most likely burnt off by then too).

I am willing to sacrifice light power for personal safety.

Are you thinking single cell lights or multiple cell lights? Most small lights are going to give you flood, but not much for throw.

Doesn't need to be single. Two D batteries isn't that bad as suggested in a response. Multiple AA or AAA is the best though as I have the most of those sorts of batteries and in rechargeables.

Any thing with a 14500 or a 10440 would have decent output on high, like a fenix LD10, Quark AA, QUark mini, itp,for 10440s: preon 1, maratacs, etc..

By 14500 and 10440, are those types of LEDs that I should be on the lookout for?

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a handful of primary 14500's from battery junction to try in my xeno e03. Should be impressive. Not economical, but figured its worth trying and maybe ill get into the rechargeable variety later..

yifu

Enlightened
10440 and 14500 are actually AAA and AA sized 3.6V Li-Ion batteries.

Yep 10 standards for the diameter and 44 stands for the length while 0 means its a cylindrical cell , and when used with a lot of production lights, it overwhelms the buck only driver and direct drives the LED, based on its Vf(foward voltage) and resistance of the light, it supplies about between 1-1.4A to XP-Gs and around 1A to an XP-E. Only some lights will retain their modes with this power source aka, maratacs, preons, quark minis.

davyro

Enlightened
I,m waiting for my new Xeno E03 to arrive in the post & it's supposed to have a massive WOW factor when running a rechargeable 14500
so i'm getting a bit impatient for it to arrive:eek:oo:

j2k

Newly Enlightened
I really like Dereelight Javelin head mounted onto C2H body with an AA extender. Especially when loaded with 14505 or 14500. Pocket rocket. I have it with an XP-E pill and it throws really nicely. Google Dereelight Javelin shorty for some pics.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
I have a Xeno E03 and have always wonder how a 14505 3 volt lithium primary AA would be like. I have used Nimh and 14500's but never tried a 14505. I was just wondering how the output is compared to a Nimh and 14500 rechargeable. Runtime?
I use only Li. primaries. The best I can tell is the E03 will be approx 2X brighter with 14505 than E91 and run time will be a little better. Do a search here ( CPF ) and CPFMP for " E03" and you will find lots of info. Just check'd B/J - the Energizer L91 (in the 8 pak) are $ 1.85 ea and the 14505 (sold in packs of 4 only) are $ 1.50 ea. I seem to recall reading that the E03 output on hi is est. to be 40% of the 14500 using 1.5 volt AA's and approx twice that with the 14505.