looking for a 1x 18650 that has good throw

Harv

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK 35 that i like a lot. But am looking for a 2 xcr123 / 1x18650
Light in the 500 lm range that is a bit smaller.

i have looked at jeatbeam
Sunnywayman
Olight
Fenix(would like to try a new,brand)
Zebra

Any recommendations?

erich995

Newly Enlightened
I have been researching the same topic for the last few weeks. Based on the following link - I went with the Thrunite TN11. It is suppose to be very similiar in performace to the Thrunite Scorpion V2 which had the best throw based on the tests below. It should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home tonight. I wish I could have seen beamshots comparisons between the tn11 and scorpion v2 but there is nothing out there yet - but have seen that some people that have both say the tn11 throws just as far as the scorpion in a tactical package (basically the same turbo head). I think the lux was measured to be pretty similar also (so a good thrower). I liked the tactical package better with the tn11.

This one has both the scorpion and armytek (mentioned above). There are a couple of 2x18650 in the charts that you will want to dismiss.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot 2011-06 UK.html

This is a little newer review but doesnt have the armytek in it and has a lot of 2x18650 you will want to dimiss. Just to give you an idea.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot 13 lights 2011-09 UK.html

In a nutshell you will see the thrunite scorpion won out for the 1x18650. Again the tn11 is suppose to meet performace so it comes down to UI and look preference. I almost went with the armytek before I saw this review and some others. It is suppose to be a decent thrower but the lumens were not that great.

davyro

Enlightened
Its got to be the Thrunite TN11 it out throws the predator by 100 metres,believe me if you want throw from 1x18650
this light is a beast.:eek:

erich995

Newly Enlightened
Also, there are a few reviews specifically on the tn11 on cpf. I should have also noted: there is one other that will out throw the tn11 with a single 1x18650 - the Deft EDC. But the beam profile is crazy tight - even for a thrower. I saw some videos/beamshots on it and I didn't think it would be very useful other than maybe a long range rifle light. It would give a wow facter - but didn't think it would be practical for my needs (finding my dog in the woods). Floods just bounce of trees too much and the Deft EDC would have been to tight of a profile find him unless I knew exactly where he was.

erich995

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to give back to the forum also based on all the helpful things it gives me. Every two years I buy a new round of lights .

1. 1x18650 Thrower
2. 1x18650 Flood
3. 1xcr123 all purpose
4. 2x18650 Thrower

This was the year/month and just went through about 20 hours of research across the various forums to pick my new lineup. I consider myself a decent analytical researcher. If you're interested let me know.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I don't have one but I hear good thing about the Xeno G42 as a thrower.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
malkoff MD2 hound dog.

armytek predator

dereelight

those would be my choices in that order.

if you want a smaller diamter head than your TK35 while still having more throw... your best options would be something with a smaller LED such as a XP-G, XR-E or XP-E

erich995

Newly Enlightened
The Xeno G42 is for sure a good competitor to the Thrunite TN11. This was a candidate in my final pick.

The problems with my research were the tests being used between forums and people. Some were testing lux at one meter and others at four meters. From what I could interpret, the lux (throw) was approximately the same between these lights; although the TN11 typically had a better lumen number making it brighter/larger spill.

I mentioned above that I should receive the TN11 tonight and I did. It is a sweet flashlight with good build quality. The only thing I can say is some reviewers were right (the machined edges feel a bit sharp in the hand). Maybe I will get the G42 to compare. The G42 body looks pretty nice.

Emitters and head size as the person mentioned above do matter, but from what I've seen in reputable beamshot reviews - I don't see the malkoff MD2 hound dog or armytek predator in the same league. Please point me to a comparison review of these two lights (md2 or armytek) against some of the lights above.

erich995

Newly Enlightened
I should have noted above when I say "In terms of Emitters and head size as the person mentioned above do matter, but from what I've seen in reputable beamshot reviews - I don't see the malkoff MD2 hound dog or armytek predator in the same league. Please point me to a comparison review of these two lights (md2 or armytek) against some of the lights above"

Not per say exact throw, but "usable throw light". Otherwise lets just recommend the Deft EDC as we all know that has the longest throw in a 1x18650.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEFT-edc, unfortunately, can't run on primaries or reach 500 lumens. If you are fine with just 18650, it will give you an insane amount of throw (~40k lux) for its size.

ArmyTek Predator... Beastly tactical thrower with maximum range of ~250 meters and effective range of ~150, still doesn't break the 500 lumen barrier.

Xeno G42 puts out something like 26k lux, so around 300 meters of throw, but it doesn't go up to 500 lumens, either.

To be honest, for XP-E or -G, unless you are looking at multi-emitter lights which, by the way, aren't geared for throw, you aren't going to reach the 500 lumen mark. You are going to have to move towards SST-50 or XM-L territory for that to happen. But that's where the fun begins.

LumaPower Signature LX "Power Pack" with XM-L supposedly does 580 lumens. (I'm not sure if this is at the emitter, OTF or ANSI) Combined with its large head, it should give an excellent throw.

ThruNite Scorpion V2 with turbohead. 725 lumens initially and 640 ANSI lumens with a single 18650. Throws out to around 270-280 meters, according to selfbuilt's review, so the effective range should be around 200.

ThruNite TN11. 750 lumens initially using a single 18650. With primaries or RCR123As, the figure should be a bit higher, around 800 initially. With 2x18650, 3 or 4xCR123A or 3xRCR123A, this sucker puts out 830 ANSI lumens. According to ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standards, it supposedly has 355 meter throw when running on full power with extra batteries, so 250+ meters of effective range. It edges out even TK35 in both output and throw. If run on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A, it should have more or less the same performance as Scorpion V2 with turbohead.

erich995

Newly Enlightened
DEFT-edc, unfortunately, can't run on primaries or reach 500 lumens. If you are fine with just 18650, it will give you an insane amount of throw (~40k lux) for its size.

ArmyTek Predator... Beastly tactical thrower with maximum range of ~250 meters and effective range of ~150, still doesn't break the 500 lumen barrier.

Xeno G42 puts out something like 26k lux, so around 300 meters of throw, but it doesn't go up to 500 lumens, either.

To be honest, for XP-E or -G, unless you are looking at multi-emitter lights which, by the way, aren't geared for throw, you aren't going to reach the 500 lumen mark. You are going to have to move towards SST-50 or XM-L territory for that to happen. But that's where the fun begins.

LumaPower Signature LX "Power Pack" with XM-L supposedly does 580 lumens. (I'm not sure if this is at the emitter, OTF or ANSI) Combined with its large head, it should give an excellent throw.

ThruNite Scorpion V2 with turbohead. 725 lumens initially and 640 ANSI lumens with a single 18650. Throws out to around 270-280 meters, according to selfbuilt's review, so the effective range should be around 200.

ThruNite TN11. 750 lumens initially using a single 18650. With primaries or RCR123As, the figure should be a bit higher, around 800 initially. With 2x18650, 3 or 4xCR123A or 3xRCR123A, this sucker puts out 830 ANSI lumens. According to ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standards, it supposedly has 355 meter throw when running on full power with extra batteries, so 250+ meters of effective range. It edges out even TK35 in both output and throw. If run on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A, it should have more or less the same performance as Scorpion V2 with turbohead.

enomosiki - I can tell you know more than me - but 100% agree from my 20 hours of research over the last few weeks. What do you think the TN11 will efffectively throw (usable) with 1x18650. There is way more information on the Scorpion V2 (and I am hoping the TN11 is comparable) and wont be able to test my new TN11 until this weekend.

erich995

Newly Enlightened
enomosiki - forget my question - i see you stated it should have more or less the same performance as Scorpion V2 with turbohead 1x18650 (200 meters)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
enomosiki - I can tell you know more than me - but 100% agree from my 20 hours of research over the last few weeks. What do you think the TN11 will efffectively throw (usable) with 1x18650. There is way more information on the Scorpion V2 (and I am hoping the TN11 is comparable) and wont be able to test my new TN11 until this weekend.

I have both the Scorpion V2 (w/ turbohead) and TN11. They have pretty much the same performance, with same emitter and reflectors. I did a white wall comparison and, sure enough, they both have the exact same beam profile.

However, I just found out that TN11 might have the edge over Scorpion V2.

According to the output chart from light-reviews.com, it seems that TN11 starts off at 100% using 2xCR123As or 1x18650 and ramps down to about 91% of its maximum output from the three minute mark and sustains it until the ten minute mark, where it will drop its output to prevent overheating.

Scorpion V2 does ~640 ANSI lumens according to selfbuilt's review.

TN11, on the other hand, does ~830 ANSI lumens using expanded battery configuration. So, 830x0.91=755.3.

Basically, you are comparing a 640 lumen light with a 750 lumen light, thus it's quite clear that TN11 will pretty much edge out Scorpion V2 even when both are using the same battery configuration.

The difference gets even more profound when you stick more batteries in TN11 with the extension tube, where 2x18650 or 4xCR123A will pretty much allow the light to sustain its peak brightness until the batteries wither and die.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best 18650 size thrower, with no spill, like you's all say, is the DEFT EDC; good for hunting, military etc - avoids disturbing the enemy etc.
Another very good 18650, albeit with minimal spill, will be one of the Surefire models, with special TIR optics?
A very good 18650 with spill, probably the Armytek Predator R5 or some of the others yous suggest above etc.
A very good 18650 size thrower, with lots of spill, would probably be one of the new XM-L's, or even the new triple emitters.
However, the triple emitters have high power consumption, so we are unlikely to see one in single 18650 size.

Previously, one of the best 1x18650 XM-L throwers I came across was something like the budget Jb PC25 650 lumens & 33mm bezel diameter with 189 meters of throw, which is not very good at all.
Wow, if this Thrunite TN11 750 lumens & 40mm bezel diameter can throw 355 meters, then that's really something!
Wish Selfbuilt could test the TN11 out for us.
There may be some other less common brands and modded 18650 XM-L's that throw well, that we don't know about?

Last edited:

varmint

Enlightened
I have got to say my TN11 is it for me, it did take a few times for these old hands to get the mode selector figured out and then WOW this is a very bright light with a very good run time, I use it every day. They are very hard to come by here in the USA, I have a friend that wants one and he can't find it here in the US.

Last edited: