flashlight choices...please provide your opinions

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
First off, let me say I'm new to this forum as a member, but have used it for review and information on lights that I've previously owned or looked at buying. I have also read the review on the sight for all the products that I've listed here. I have also read reviews on other websites on these products to be as informed as possible. I like this site and I'm looking to learn and possibly contribute along the way. I'm not a flashlight guru or anything like that and all the numbers and things listed in the reviews make my head spin!

I am currently looking for a new flashlight to use mostly in a patrol type setting, but for other uses as well. I am currently using a Nitecore SR3 for everyday patrol carry. I also have a Streamlight Ultra Stinger with a cree conversion bulb (350 lumen I think), which was an awesome upgrade, and I carry a small streamlight in my shirt pocket. I started having trouble with the SR3 a month or so ago with it not coming on sometimes. I've narrowed that down to the problem, but I would have to send it back to Nitecore for repairs. Well I might, but I can't be without a good pocket type light for work, so I'm gonna buy something else.

Here are my parameters. I like to carry it in my front pocket, as I really don't have room to add a holster to my duty belt. I would like to keep using my rechargable CR123 3.7v batteries as well, which should be a 3-9v range. I need a decent reach and would like to have multiple output options, but I would like to keep the operation simple as well. The SR3 fit the bill pretty darn well. I would also like to get as many lumens as possible in that configuration. Most importantly of all is the use of my existing batteries and easy one hand operation. Oh and cost is a factor as I'd like to be under $100.00.

I've narrowed my search some and come up with the following that I would like either recommendations on or experience with. I would also be open to suggestions of other lights that aren't on my list.
Quark (4sevens) 123 Turbo
Olight M20 warrior
Sunwayman T20C
Eagletac P20C2 MKII
Olight I6
Klarus XT10

Like I said, I'm open to other options and definately would like opinions or personal experience with these lights, especially from LEO's that have used them. I appreciate any and all advice and/or information from the members here.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
2 16340s(RCR123s) are going to give you less runtime than a single 18650 so that's what i'll recommend you to get. All good options but i'll add a Thrunite Scorpion v2 with a turbo head or a TN11 to that list, about 750 lumens and better throw than all the lights above on the same battery setup (CR123/RCR123s/18650).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know its over your $100 budget limit. but i think the surefire LX2, or E2DL would be a good choice. compact, rugged, reliable, works with RCR123, good throw, lifetime warranty, simple high/low interface.

from the lights you listed, ive only had experience with the olight m20, and quark turbo. of those 2, my vote goes to the quark. more compact, and prefer its UI.

the sunwayman t20c looks very interesting, i own the v10r, and really like the control ring.
ive no experience with any eagletac or klarus, so i cant say anything about those.

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
I'm still torn on these choices. I'm leaning more towards the Klarus and the Sunwayman at this time, but I'm still not sure. I really want simple one handed operation and alot of what I've been reading is talking about loosening/tightening the head of the light to make changes. That doesn't seem like something that I want to have to do under stress. Mostly it would be set on the highest setting and could be descalated as the situation unfolds. That's one thing I liked about the SR3, just a simple ring that twists to change the output. So, I'm still reading and looking. The reviews on this site are awesome, but all the numbers and such make my head spin! Thanks, Jason

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
Well I just ordered a sunwayman t20c, so I'll have to see how it goes. If I don't like it then I'm gonna get a klarus xt10 I think. Thanks, Jason

Latest posts