What does the term "Regulated" mean???

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does the term \"Regulated\" mean???

Does it mean that it keeps the voltage consistent all the way to the death of the battery or other source? I read the term a lot but I did a search and might have missed the boat somewhere but I came up empty... Please explain if you would advantages or disadvantages of having a light Regulated. I understand that SL will be coming out with a Regulated TL-3 LED, I am wondering should I wait until they are available or should I purchase the first run of this model...

Thanks in advance,

Dukester

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What does the term

Hello Dukester!

From the Arc FAQ posted here on the CPF:

Regulation

In some flashlights, regulation is used to provide a more consistant output. This feature typically appears in more expensive flashlights because it requires either an electronic circuit or some other type of regulator system.

A typical flashlight (without regulation) starts dimming as soon as you turn it on. This is because the battery drops it voltage as it is drained. After 15 minutes or so, a typical light could be as much as 1/2 the brightness as when it was first turned on. The rate of dimming varies with battery type, flashlight design, etc. LEDs are even more prone to dimming compared to incandecents (bulbs) when used in high brightness designs. This is because incandecent bulbs have a slight self-regulating effect.

Some manufacturers advertise their LED flashlights with incredible claims like, "over 50 hours of run time!", etc. Yes, these lights will produce light for over 50 hours but the light will be quite dim at that point. Didn't you buy that light to be as bright as when you bought it at the store?

Regulators cause the light to maintain a consistantly bright output, even as the battery becomes depleted. As a result, regulated lights have a shorter advertised run time but the run time is more realistic for what you buy a light for.

Another advantage to regulated lights is that is makes it easier to use your batteries up completely. Non-regulated lights may be begging you to change out the batteries when there is still 50% power left.

Advantages of Regulation:

- Better utilization of the battery
- More consistant and dependable output
- Longer bulb/LED life

Disadvantages:

- Increased cost
- Can add to the weight/bulk of of the flashlight

Although a typical regulator adds a 5% overhead (step-ups typically add another 15-30%), I would not generally classify this as a loss since these circuits make better use of the battery (as relates to typicaly usage). As a result, you will typically get more light from a given battery in a light with a regulator. Step-ups (see notes elsewhere in this FAQ) will provide even more gains. Step-ups typically are used in conjuction with regulators.

There are several types of regulation. 2 types in particular are voltage and current regulation. The Arc-AAA is partially voltage regulated and the LS is current/thermal regulated.

There are a lot of threads here in the Arc forum about regulation. Use the search function of the forum to find relevant topics.

Why is the Arc-AAA partially regulated instead of fully regulated?

I hope this helps..

Peter

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What does the term \"Regulated\" mean???

It helps immensely. It seemed like I was in the right neigborhood as far as defining the term but you made it a lot easier to understand...

Thank you for the definition

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Go look at the runtime plot of the Newbeam in the Runtime Plot sticky in the Reviews Forum. That is a good (some would say "extream") example of a regulated light.

danielo_d

Enlightened

I am still learning too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Another thing about regulation - when current/voltage drops off, there is two things that can happen depending on the design. The first is that light output just stops without warning. This can be bad if you are not prepared [without spare batteries.]
The other thing that can happen is the light output goes to 'moon-mode.' I would guess that this would be more preferable so as to be prepared with spare batteries.
Hope this helps, too.

Danno [still learing, too.] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif