Introduction and questions

mtdewmike

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!! My name is Mike, and I'm from the New England area. As many others have stated I'm sure, I found this forum while researching flashlights. Go figure. :)

I have been a collector of many things in my life, including Mountain Dew, just as the screen name suggests. That collection is my biggest, and my wife continues to roll her eyes at me and asks when I'm going to move it out of the study! :)

Anyway, I have casually collected flashlights over the years, mostly MagLite and a couple Coast, but this past year I've really been collecting more. During the month of October, I work a second job at a haunted house, and at times will need a flashlight. A sound technician had come in this past season and had a Fenix LD10. I was very impressed with it, as it easily overpowered my LED Mini MagLite. I went home that night and immediately started researching Fenix flashlights. I finally decided on the PD31. The 2 CR123's were a bit expensive, but I didn't care at the time - it was a new toy!

The PD31 was great, and I kept showing it off to everyone! I figured that I should probably get a couple 18650's and a charger, so, I ordered those (still waiting for them to arrive). While I've been waiting, I've been thinking that maybe I should pick up another flashlight that runs just on 1-AA, like the LD10. So, back on Amazon I went, and was just about to purchase that model, when I started poking around some more, and stumbled across some reviews of other flashlights, specifically the Klarus ST10. My mind is starting to hurt because of the back and forth decisions I've been tossing around in my head!

I'm hoping some of you can help me with my dilemma. I'd like my next flashlight to have the following features, or at least similar features:

- Similar size and feel to the Fenix PD31
- Various modes of lightging, including strobes/SOS
- Battery - I'm stuck on whether to go with AA's or 18650's
- Around $50-60

Does anyone know if Klarus will take their N20 and tweak it a bit so that it can handle an 18650, similar to what Fenix did with the PD30? For some reason, I'm kinda leaning towards Klarus, as I'd like to see how good that brand is.

However, if there's something else that is comparable, I'll give it some thought!

mtdewmike

Newly Enlightened
Since this initial post, I've been doing more research. I'm trying to figure out which one of these I want to get:

Jetbeam PC25
Klarus XT10

I know these are a little more than the price range I first mentioned, but if I have to spend a bit more for a good flashlight, then that's fine.

For those of you who have had experience with either of these lights, what do you think of them? Have you been satisfied with them?

Pat-inCO

Newly Enlightened
Well Mike, since you are getting a slow play here, I'll mention one or two that are somewhat similar, but not all of your requirements.

In the AA range, a Xeno (pronounced Zeno) E03 is an amazing unit. Put standard AAs in it and you have a 150 lumen, three different output level light. They run about $30 (I get all of my Xenos from Emergency Matters). If you put the 14500 into them, they turn into a - very - bright unit, especially for its size. The are three output "modes" (High, Low and Ultra-low [or high, medium and low for mere mortals]). That leaves out your SOS/strobe requirement.

Another that I really like is the Xeno F7 (or F8 if you want to pay $20 more for basically the same light). It runs on two CR123s or a 18650. They default to high (300L) with a low of about 150L and their ultra-low of about 10L. All easily selectable from the tail cap clicky.

While these miss several of you requirements, they are worthy of consideration. :D

mtdewmike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Pat, for replying! I appreciate it! I will definitely look into those Xeno lights.

I'm going to add 2 more lights to my list from above:

Fenix TK15
Fenix TK21
Jetbeam PC25
Klarus XT10

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, welcome to CPF mountain dew Mike.

One thing I wished I'd done earlier when I started buying lights was standardize on a few battery types. I wound up getting lights that use AAA, AA, C , D, 9v, cr2, cr123, and Rcr123. Not to mention the coin cell lights [3 sizes]. Of course I didn't have the good batteries then that are available now. By now I've mostly standardized on AA [Eneloops & lithium primaries] & 18650 lights. Both battery sizes give you plenty of options among them. Other than really small lights, these cover all my lighting needs. I like to use rechargeables in order to have full power available when I want it. Eneloops are a great power source.

From what I've read on these forums, the four lights you list in your post above are all very good performers. All lights have some compromises, and some strong points. Of the four the TK21 is the only one I have and it is amazing. Big output in a medium sized light. The Xeno E03 is a really good performer, especially for its price. It does lack a very low mode, which is also a knock I find against the Fenix LD01 & LD02 [L1D & L2D are the older models I have]. THat said, all the AA lights I have that do have lower lows were more expensive, some very much more. Again compromises.

Good luck in your search.

Thrifty

weez82

Enlightened
Look into Zerbralight and 4sevens. A lot of people love their Zerbralights and from the reviews Ive read they have some of the most powerful and efficient single AA (eneloop) lights on the market. I have two 47's lights and love them. The Preon 2 is lightweight and thin, prefect for edc. And my Quark X 123 is just a hair bigger than my Fenix LD10 and weights just the same (with battery), it is perfect for camping and hiking (and edc if you need). And 47's has some of the best customer service Ive dealt with. They stand behind their product. Also you can find discounts using the search function ;)

EDIT: check out cpfmarketplace too, lots of good deals to be had :)

Last edited: