Newbie here, need help selecting a light :)

TCUENGR

Newly Enlightened
A while back I got a Fenix MC-10 and I love it. I use it quite a lot for everyday use inside the house and even outside for night hiking and camping. Inside it's sufficient, but outside it leaves something to be desired both in terms of output and runtime. I often want to illuminate ahead to see animals and such but the Fenix doens't reach. Alternatively the Fenix also has a diffuser which comes in VERY handy for those times when I'm camping and need to set up the tent at night.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size: I'm looking for something pocketable/put in a backpack for camping/hiking

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source: I selected LED for a good balance of output and runtime, but other suggestions welcome.

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use? I love being able to take my MC-10 along with a few AA's and be good to go for whatever I may do.

____I don't know

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
The MC-10 I have now supposedly (read: manuf says) has 125 lumens. I'm looking for something brighter (I think?) :)

____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply. I need to see animals ahead and around me when hiking at night, but then I need to be able to set up the tent at night (I know, impossible :))

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output). If I can take multiple AA's and change them I don't mind a shorter runtime.

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care. Just not plastic please :)

Thanks!

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you need something with different light levels. I thought that I would throw out the 4sevens quark lights. They are a good value, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone complaining about their quark. I've added links for two of the 2aa lights. I like cr123 lights myself. I have an eagle tac p100c2 light that I like myself. It may suit your needs if you were okay going with cr123.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=2617

[url]http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=1917

[/URL]

tacticalj

Newly Enlightened
You might look at sunwayman t20c, eagletac p20m2 mkII, klarus xt10, or (i forgot the manufacturer) but light is called scorpion. All was looking at all these and there are some olight brand lights that fit in your price range as well. 4sevens.com has the olight ant their own quark brand lights as well. All of these have 400+ lumens and delectable lower output levels available. There are of course several other options in your price range and below. I own a ultrafire, which I bought of eBay for $40, and its been a terrific light for the money. Now mounted on my rifle for a weapon light and still functioning just fine.

I didn't take one part of your post into account, which is the batteries you selected, so scratch all those model numbers I guess. The manufacturers still have lights that will suit your needs I bet. I use cr123 rechargeable batts, so I wasn't thinking right I guess. Sorry about that. Anyhow the brands are still good and there are many more. Goodluck

TCUENGR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys! I should clarify I'm actually ok with using other types of batteries, I just never have before. Whichever type I get I would like to get extra batteries. How are these charged? in the flashlight or externally? Do the flashlights come with chargers and batteries? Sorry, for the newbie questions >.<

I'm also open to spending a bit more if there are lights you guys specifically like.

weez82

Enlightened
Highly recommend 4Sevens lights. For a camping/hiking light I like my NW Quark X 123^2. The lowest mode works great for digging around my bags at night and the highest mode will reach out plenty far at night. They also have the NW Quark X in the AA format. The MiNi AA^2 is also very nice for camping/hiking. Lightweight and has plenty of output on high. Ive used both and both worked very well. You cant go wrong with 47's. If you do get a 47's light get the NW over the CW. As for batteries, eneloops (AA rechargeable) are the easiest to use and have amazing performance. I highly recommend them. And the AW's LiIon are nice too but are not as easy to deal with as the eneloops.

A.D.D.i.c.t

Newly Enlightened
Even better for outdoors if you choose 4seven would be a high CRI model, though brightness may be sacrificed over the NW model.

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys! I should clarify I'm actually ok with using other types of batteries, I just never have before. Whichever type I get I would like to get extra batteries. How are these charged? in the flashlight or externally? Do the flashlights come with chargers and batteries?

Battery are usually not included, the exceptions that I think of are 4Sevens Preon and Quark series and Olight i series lights.

CR123's are non rechargeable, 18650 batteries are rechargeable but remember you have to buy the charger as well. Rechargeable CR123 (RCR123) are rechargeable, but use a higher voltage and may not be compatible with the flashlight.

In terms of setting up a tent, I highly suggest a headlamp or get something small and a niteize headband.  Have you taken a look at zebralight's offerings?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast