DQG II - Stainless AAA - issue and fix

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Couldn't find much user info on the DQG II, so thought I would post this in case it helps somebody.

I got the DQG II, a 1xAAA stainless keychain light, from CPFM. User cnqualitygoods, who also has a website.

The light was billed as the world's smallest 1xAAA light, and I believe it =) It is really tiny. 2 stage, no memory, and I thought I wouldn't like it, but since it's only 2 stage, it's pretty much a no-brainer to screw the head down a couple times til you get the output you want.

The only issue with the body is the keychain attachment - it's a bent wire fed through 2 channels, and glued in place. Not all that secure, and one of mine is already bent a good deal, exposing more of the wire (it pulled out part way). Luckily one is on my bike key ring, which is small and just goes in the pocket, and the other is a backup light, so neither have to be very load-bearing.

I ran into a problem where the switching seemed really finicky, and therefore would keep switching levels like mad since it detected very quick on-off cycles. And when screwed down all the way, the light wouldn't light up.

Finally I got the bright idea of seeing if the pills were screwed tight, and they weren't - there was about 1/2 turn possible in one, and 3/4 in the other. You figure it wouldn't make a huge difference, but it sure did - now there is no flicker on twisting, and they engage surely and solidly, and also when screwed down all the way there is no problem either.

I was beginning to get frustrated with these lights, and they don't have any more stock either so wouldn't have been much use asking for a replacement - but glad it was just an issue of the pill being loose and easily fixed. Didn't realize a loose pill could cause that drastic a set of issues, never had seen that with loose pills in my other lights.

Hope that's helpful to someone out there!!!

HKJ

Flashaholic
What about some pictures?
Here is one comparing the light to other AAA lights:

And if you click on the picture, you will see my review :tinfoil:

Latest posts