replace potentiometer with toggle switch

higginsems

Newly Enlightened
hi, im Chris im currently building a custom light using 3 cree xp-gs and a buckpuck 1000ma. it has the potentiometer and i was wondering if it is possible to replace it with a multi position toggle or some sort of water proof button? i dont want to run the light on high all the time. I would love to have 4 settings HI/LOW/VERYLOW/OFF

The idea is the body will be milled out of a single block of aluminum, with a removable back sealed with an oring and recessed plexy glass to cover the front. it will have lateral and vertical vent holes for heat. My friend owns a machine shop so i hope it turns out like i hope. Going to try to get the first one made this week if there is time...

Im a cave diver / caver and im trying to make an "indestructible" light head. i have already made a working setup out of copper but now i want to make it water PROOF (if there is such a thing...)

The only weak points i can think of right now are the switch setup and my wiring, but i think i have that figured out though.

Any help would be great! :thumbsup:

higginsems

Newly Enlightened
replace potentiometer with toggle switch??? oh and Hi

Hi i typed a long detailed idea of what im doing but i lost it some how so Im chris im building a light. 3 x cree xp-gs with buckpuck 1000ma 12v lipo. body is going to be milled out a solid block of aluminum with a CNC mill.

My question is can i replace the potentiometer with a Toggle of some sort with hi/med/low/off and or what are my options. i have made a prototype with copper but now its time to make it "indestructible" and "waterproof"....

Im a caver / cavediver / sump diver and plan on using the light for that lol

any help would be great :thumbsup:

xul

Enlightened
Re: replace potentiometer with toggle switch??? oh and Hi

Hi i typed a long detailed idea of what im doing but i lost it some how so Im chris im building a light. 3 x cree xp-gs with buckpuck 1000ma 12v lipo. body is going to be milled out a solid block of aluminum with a CNC mill.

My question is can i replace the potentiometer with a Toggle of some sort with hi/med/low/off and or what are my options. i have made a prototype with copper but now its time to make it "indestructible" and "waterproof"....

Im a caver / cavediver / sump diver and plan on using the light for that lol

any help would be great :thumbsup:
What the resistance and power rating of the pot [look on the parts list]?

xul

Enlightened
It's a 5k pot
OK, so if perceived brightness is linearly proportional [doubtful] to this resistance value and you want three settings, the first one would be zero resistance for high.
Now you've got 5K to split two ways. Let's go with 500 ohms for verylow.
Since 5000 and 500 vary by a factor of 10, let's go with the geometric average for the midpoint, sqrt(5000 x 500) = 1600 ohms. Or, try the arithmetic average of 5500/2.

You might want to check with an ohmmeter if the pot has a linear, audio, log or some other taper. Put it at the midpoint and one or two other positions and post your resistance along with your angle of rotation. A lot of pots give 270 degree rotation.

Last edited: