Got my SUB-2000 yesterday

R983

Newly Enlightened
I picked up my Kel-Tec SUB-2000 yesterday. I got it chambered in 9mm and set up to use Glock G17 and G19 magazines. It will also accept the Glock pre-ban high capacity magazines. First impressions are….this is a plastic gun. The receiver, fore-end, grip, front sight, rear sight, and butt-stock are all made out of glass reinforced Zytel. The stock is tubular steel, the bolt, barrel and internals are all made of steel. Regardless of this plastic/steel combination, the gun has relatively good balance and is very lightweight. The folding mechanism is very smooth as well as the action. The recoil spring is ridiculously stiff, yet still smooth. Overall, the fit and finish of this firearm is fairly good, it is not intended to be pretty or absolutely perfect.
I originally bought this gun, because of its light weight, ease of transport and uniqueness. Originally I planed to use it as a plinking/target gun, but because of how its made and how the sights are, its very hard not to consider how well this gun would work in a home defense situation. I have yet to test fire it, but hopefully ill be able to soon. I only have one magazine that came with it, so ill have to get a few more of them and the picatinny-rail accessory from Kel-Tec. I'd like to get a tactical light setup in the near future. I'm found of the setup seen here: http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/p8250021.jpg because of its relatively low cost and its function over form mindset that matches the rest of the gun.

Rich

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know if you buy G22 mags and press the feed lips in 1mm you can stuff about 16 or 17 9mm rounds in there. Since it still functions with 40 cartridges, it's intended purpose, it's totally legal. Somebody on Glocktalk even posted a letter from the ATF stating such.

guncollector

Enlightened
FYI, CDNN Investments in Abilene, Texas has always had great prices on their firearms magazines and accessories.

Just checked, and they've got the following prices on Glock 17 mags (all Glock OEM):

$15.99 10-round Drop-Free, new
$39.99 17-rouud Non-Drop, mil-surplus
$44.99 17-round Non-Drop, used
$99.99 17-round Drop-Free, demo
$119.99 17-round Drop-Free, new

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDNN charges a flat $9 for shipping. Those mil-surplus mags are Norwegian I beleive, folks have found them problematic.

R983

Newly Enlightened
Whats the difference between non-drop, drop-free, Ect.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Drop free means when you press the magazine release, the magazine will fall out all by itself.

Non-drop free means the magazine will not fall out if the mag release is pressed. You must pull it out.

Some people prefer drop free because it allows for a faster reload. You dont have to remove the spent mag before you can insert the next one. It just falls out when you press the button.

HOWEVER, some people prefer the non drop free because if the mag release is somehow accidently pressed, you dont loose your next shot if you dont pull the mag out.