My Shiningbeam Blaze is here. First impressions.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I pulled it out of the box and two things jumped out at me. First, it seemed really short but in reality it's about the same length as my Olight M20s. About 1/4 inch shorter is all. It seems shorter because the head is pretty long and the body of the flashlight is quite short. Second, it's got some mass and weight to it. Probably a good thing as with 720 lumens the extra metal should help with any heat issue. The light feels very solid. The head is not only longer than the M20s but it's larger in diameter also. Finish and knurling look top notch. The light has a somewhat plain Jane look to it but I like it.

I dropped in a 18650 battery and clicked it on. My first impression of the light output was disappointing until I started through the modes and found that when the light first came on it was only in the medium mode. High is very bright. Impressively bright. Very floody and a large hotspot. I grabbed my Olight M20s to compare the two. The Blaze feels more solid and is heavier than the Olight. On high mode the light output blows the M20s away. This is to be expected as the M20 is only listed at 340 lumens. The medium mode on the Blaze is very similar to the M20s. Reading the specs that came with the Blaze it says medium is 400 lumens so this is why it's similar to the M20.

I stepped outside and lit it up. A solid wall of light comes out of this light. It throws a little better than I expected with the XM-L emitter. Throw looks slightly better than the M20 which is no slouch in the throw compartment. The sheet says battery life if 70 minutes on the 720 lumen high. 2.5 hours on the 400 lumen medium and 80 hours on the 15 lumen low mode. I'm sure I will be using this light mostly on medium mode. It has a strobe but I wish Shiningbeam would have put an extra mode between low and medium instead of the strobe.

Overall, for the money, this looks to be a quality light. It has memory of the last mode you used until you change it. It's supposed to tail stand but mine doesn't. The rubber clicky sticks out just enough to keep it from tail standing. Comes with an extra clicky swith, extra O-rings, lanyard, holster and silicone boot. This is a good offering when one considers that it's only about $55 when using the CPF discount.

Two things I would like to see to make this light better. As mentioned, an extra mode between low and medium. The biggest thing I would like to see changed is that the light doesn't have a pocket clip. I feel that's a big no-no with a light this size.

A couple of other things. The XM-L emitter is off center in the reflector but I cant notice any defects in the beam. The beam tint is a very cool white. Almost to the point of having a little green tint to the beam. This might bother some but it's not a problem with me at all as it isn't very bad.

duro

Enlightened
The extra tailcap will allow the light to tail-stand and also provide a momentary function.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I thought about changing to the other tail switch but right now I am running a battery burn time test and don't want to stop until it's done. I'm not sure that will fix the problem as it's the little rubber boot that sticks down just a fraction of an inch making it too long to tail stand.

I think this light would make a really good weapons light for an AR or tactical weapon. The only problem is that Shiningbeam doesn't make a tailcap with a remote click pad for this light.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today. It has a nice low for walking around or camping. The medium is okay and the high is very bright! No unwanted artifacts in the beam. I like the UI. Nice light! Mine won't tailstand either--the boot sticks out a little too far. Maybe a boot from another light would improve that. Don't know.

rambo180

Enlightened
I just got mine today. It has a nice low for walking around or camping. The medium is okay and the high is very bright! No unwanted artifacts in the beam. I like the UI. Nice light! Mine won't tailstand either--the boot sticks out a little too far. Maybe a boot from another light would improve that. Don't know.

chidwack what type of runtimes did you see?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got in my Blaze, here are some initial impressions:

-Brian's definition of scratch and dent is very picky. I got such a model and think I saw two tiny specks of annodizing missing on the aggressive knurling (which I've recieved from other more expensive brands and not felt ripped off by). If this is a scratch and dent, the normal ones must be absolutely perfect.

-Not as large as I expected. Imagine your typical P60 host size and add a slightly wider and deeper reflector and you've got the size.

-Solid. Can't overstate this, it's the most solid light I have in that size range (to be fair I've never owned Fenix TK20 or similar) but it certainly feels a notch above my lights in that size range(including a Surefire C2). The walls are thick and the light has a good amount of mass to it relative to size. The only light I own that seems more solid is a Solarforce Skyline One, and even that is close.

-Modes. Low is good for general use, and I'd say there are two high modes, no true medium. I'll call it a Low-High-Turbo-Strobe light. The high is awesome, powerful enough for almost anything and should run long enough with an 18650. The turbo is impressive, more punch than high but the thermal management seems in check.

-I really like the mode switching. I'm a big fan of the Quark Tactical interface and this one is also nice. Having access to more than two modes is great. The only disadvantage compared to the Quark model is I can't change modes while the light is off. Overall though, this is a great UI. Could stand to go without the strobe however.

-The only thing currently off for me is the response time on the switch or driver. It feels just about an eighth of a second or so slow. This is nitpicky but it feels like it doesn't respond totally in sync to rapid presses of the momentary switch. Now I haven't figured out if it is the driver or switch doing this and in normal use it will not be an issue, only if trying to signal I would say. The switch itself feels good, fairly stiff but with good travel and a positive click.

-Along those lines, to anyone saying their Blaze won't tailstand, make sure you test with the button clicked on. Forward clickys don't stick out as far in the on position and it makes the difference between tailstanding or not in my sample.

If anyone has any beamshot requests let me know. The closest light I have to compare is probably my Jetbeam PA40. Beam pattern is a good flood and throw mix. About on par with an XP-G in a P60 reflector.

Overall this seems like a very good choice of light and is a great deal even at the full price, and it's an absolute steal at the scratch and dent price.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got in my Blaze, here are some initial impressions:

-Brian's definition of scratch and dent is very picky. I got such a model and think I saw two tiny specks of annodizing missing on the aggressive knurling (which I've recieved from other more expensive brands and not felt ripped off by). If this is a scratch and dent, the normal ones must be absolutely perfect.

-Not as large as I expected. Imagine your typical P60 host size and add a slightly wider and deeper reflector and you've got the size.

-Solid. Can't overstate this, it's the most solid light I have in that size range (to be fair I've never owned Fenix TK20 or similar) but it certainly feels a notch above my lights in that size range(including a Surefire C2). The walls are thick and the light has a good amount of mass to it relative to size. The only light I own that seems more solid is a Solarforce Skyline One, and even that is close.

-Modes. Low is good for general use, and I'd say there are two high modes, no true medium. I'll call it a Low-High-Turbo-Strobe light. The high is awesome, powerful enough for almost anything and should run long enough with an 18650. The turbo is impressive, more punch than high but the thermal management seems in check.

-I really like the mode switching. I'm a big fan of the Quark Tactical interface and this one is also nice. Having access to more than two modes is great. The only disadvantage compared to the Quark model is I can't change modes while the light is off. Overall though, this is a great UI. Could stand to go without the strobe however.

-The only thing currently off for me is the response time on the switch or driver. It feels just about an eighth of a second or so slow. This is nitpicky but it feels like it doesn't respond totally in sync to rapid presses of the momentary switch. Now I haven't figured out if it is the driver or switch doing this and in normal use it will not be an issue, only if trying to signal I would say. The switch itself feels good, fairly stiff but with good travel and a positive click.

-Along those lines, to anyone saying their Blaze won't tailstand, make sure you test with the button clicked on. Forward clickys don't stick out as far in the on position and it makes the difference between tailstanding or not in my sample.

If anyone has any beamshot requests let me know. The closest light I have to compare is probably my Jetbeam PA40. Beam pattern is a good flood and throw mix. About on par with an XP-G in a P60 reflector.

Overall this seems like a very good choice of light and is a great deal even at the full price, and it's an absolute steal at the scratch and dent price.

I will agree with everything you said! I just got one of these "scratch and dent" lights, and the only ding mine has is on the base of the head. It is just a spot where the anodizing came off. It is tiny and hardly noticable. The rest of my light is perfect! It is nice and heavy and robust feeling in my hand. This light kind of reminds me of my Wolf Eyes lights. The high slightly outshines my Fenix TK40, which up to now, was my brightest light! I feel like I just picked up a $100.00 light for $30.00!! :D:twothumbs

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to play with it a bit more. The Blaze has a very useable and practical beam. Good for anything close, mid-range and even mid-far by virtue of pure output. It can also take a tumble, it fell 5 feet right onto cement, took a little nick to the annodizing but no ill effects otherwise. Another note, I can't recall seeing it in the product description but the threads on the tailcap and body are annodized for lockout, very useful when we're talking a light pushing over 2 amps with a forward clicky switch. The threads on the head-end are not annodized.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
Wiggle, I agree with you completely.

I found my brother the Blaze and he enjoys it immensely. Yes it isn't a thrower but it does provide a nice spill and nice throw together. Plus it feels really solid in your hand.

He has already taken it to a bonfire and wowed his friends with it :)

fishndad

Enlightened
Wiggle, I agree with you completely.

I found my brother the Blaze and he enjoys it immensely. Yes it isn't a thrower but it does provide a nice spill and nice throw together. Plus it feels really solid in your hand.

He has already taken it to a bonfire and wowed his friends with it :)

Tomorrow being the holiday ill have to wiat till thursday to get mine in the mail.:mecry:

Looking forward to more lights at Shiningbeams prices even retail there GRRRREAT

fishndad

Enlightened
Its here.
The blaze is .5" longer than my quark1232 turboX.
it uses 18650 and puts out nearly identicle beam as the TurboX.
Squared threads and very solid.The best light ive ever got for under $60.
I paid $29.00 scratch and dent however there isnt a scratch or dent.
They should just say its on sale.

fishndad

Enlightened
its nice , doesnt look like you can just swap out a drop in though the reflector appears to be slightly larger than my solarforce
xml drop in.
Wider mabey 2 mm at the top and the bezel threads around the inside of the head where the dropin rests not to the inside wall of the head.
Difficult to explain youll see friday.
You can put a solarforce clip or lanyard ring on it and glow o-rings at the bezel and lens seal.

Coherent Light

Newly Enlightened
Reading this thread and finding that there was a "Scratch and Dent" version. Could not resist. Ordered on 7/1, received on Thurs. This light is in perfect condition, not a scratch or dent anywhere. Screaming deal. Has a tighter beam and throws better than I would have thought. Feels great holding it. Wonderful light, glad I got it. At the scratch and dent price, this is a no brainer purchase.

fishndad

Enlightened
Reading this thread and finding that there was a "Scratch and Dent" version. Could not resist. Ordered on 7/1, received on Thurs. This light is in perfect condition, not a scratch or dent anywhere. Screaming deal. Has a tighter beam and throws better than I would have thought. Feels great holding it. Wonderful light, glad I got it. At the scratch and dent price, this is a no brainer purchase.

Mine was also undamaged and even at his retail prices im seriously considering a caveman t6 and a mini.
I havnt had a problem spending up to $100. but if shiningbeam is gonna sell lights at this quality for half the price ill bite.

This light has every bit the build quality as my Jet RRT01,Jet PC10.Sunwayman M11R,Quark AA2X,Quark 1232 Turbo X and
certainly better in build than my Solarforce L2 with T6 drop-in.
The Solarforce light is the only light less expensive than the Blaze at retail all others are 25% more or higher.

Driver609

Newly Enlightened
My Blaze just arrived in the mail. I too ordered a "scratch and dent" primarily because I wasn't really intending to get another light of this size (I have a Sunwayman V20C that I like quite a lot), but I read the reviews here and thought "what they heck!"

However, seeing the quality of the light and the absurdly good value it represents I am now going to be placing an order for 6 more to be given as gifts. This really is an excellent light at a great price. Kudos to Brian!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of Brian's "scratch & dent" specials. Mine had zero dents and zero scratches. All the anodizing was in the right place. This one will be with my tools and reserved for future dents and scratches that I make! The three modes make it very useful. Thanks, Brian!

rambo180

Enlightened

+1 got my scratch and dent model today. but it is in perfect condition. throws well and feels solid. love it.

ZardHex

Newly Enlightened
+1 got my scratch and dent model today. but it is in perfect condition. throws well and feels solid. love it.

+1....every good thing thats been said about this light is true..got mine yesterday...floody enough in output to try on the bike, good bright spill.... but still throws far enough to see a couple hundred feet in front of me...beam tint is definitely on the cool side, but a good design and quality build! Great job on this light, Bryan :thumbsup:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this light doesn't have an FL1 rating I'm sure people are wondering what the output is really like. I wasn't able to get a good beamshot but I can assure that the beam pattern is very similar and slightly brighter than a Jetbeam PA40, a light with an ANSI rating of around 468 lumens I believe. I'd estimate OTF lumens on the Blaze to be the in 500 to 550 range on my sample.

Last edited: