Malkoff MD2 Tailcap question

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
I just received a turnkey MD2 hi/lo w/M61 drop-in. I like the flashlight, very utilitarian, almost ugly which is exactly what I wanted. Of course the beam is legendary and this M61 does not disappoint. This is the new tail-standing MD2 with recessed rubber boot. For anyone who has one, I have a question about the tail-cap boot. When I opened the package a small o-ring fell off the tail end. The rubber switch boot also comes off way too easily IMO. Is this normal? Does the o-ring go inside the boot to keep it in place or is there another way to tighten the boot to the edge of the tail cap? Also, any suggestions on a UCL lens for the head? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted Gene only a few days ago regarding the same issue:

"The O-ring has to be seated down as deep as it can go. Also make sure that the O-ring and the place it goes are perfectly clean and grease/oil free. They may need to be cleaned with a solvent.
Thanks, Gene'

James... :)

Howecollc

Enlightened
So did pushing the o-ring further in solve the problem for either of you? Is there any kind of recess milled into the body for the outer edge of the o-ring to pop into or does it just rely on friction against a straight metal "cylinder" so to speak?

d337944

Enlightened
I've recently purchased an MD2 turnkey and a Hound Dog with MD4 body/switch ... and both have this o-ring problem! Pushing the o-rings back in as far as possible, after cleaning them, does not fix it.

However - I removed the small washer sitting below the o-ring (on top of the switch), and the o-ring now pushes all the way down very snugly, with no chance of popping out! In fact it "clicks" into place perfectly.

I don't know if this affects water proofing of the switch or not ... but it can't be any worse than having the o-ring keep popping off anyway.

Give it a try if you're having this o-ring issue! I'm happy with it, and its been working perfectly well ever since the fix.

Cheers

purelite

Enlightened
A better way to have designed these tailcaps would have been a threaded ring that would screw down on top of the rubber boot ontop of the flange on the boot. have two holes ontop to be able to use needle nose pliers to tighten it down. better water resistance.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I too have this issue with the Malkoff tailcap, received with an MD3 body and Hound Dog head.

Particularly, walking/jogging on the beach last night, the o-ring slipped out and fell onto the sand. I found it, however its inexcusable that small pieces are falling off the exterior of a flashlight.

Craig K

Enlightened
Hi there guys I have just ordered my first Malkoff it is a turnkey MD2 hi/lo switch , I just found this thread and was wondering is this problem fixed now or will I have a problem with this O-ring falling out of my tail cap?

Craig K

Enlightened
Also guys will my turnkey MD2 come with a glass lens it is going to have the M61 just wondering if it comes with a glass lens?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two tail caps, MD2 & HD, and haven't had any issues. MD2 comes with a plastic lens, no glass.

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
I got my MD2 more than a year ago, no problems my second and my MD3 have never had a problem. Hell it's hard to get the o-ring out to replace the rubber boot! Good stuff Gene.

Craig K

Enlightened
I'm really looking forward to receiving my MD2 it looks like a fantastic light.