Sunwayman V10R XM-L. at last... just ordered one!

dheim

Newly Enlightened
i don't know if Battery Junction just added the new "official" XM-L models this morning, but it seems like noone has yet realized it on CPF... :nana:

anyway i just ordered one, all i have to do is waiting for regular air mail (no need to rush, the real bottle neck is elsewhere*...) to get out of the USA and for my damn country's customs to do their arcane stuff for more or less a month (*here!) making me pay again for it...

still waiting for the V20A anniversary edition, by the way...

the strange thing is that BJ doesn't declare ANY number or other than very generic data on these new lights (V20A, V10A are also available), but i believe they shouldn't be too different from AEs...

Last edited:

dheim

Newly Enlightened
Any neutrals?
i don't think they're neutrals... the emitter is an xm-l t6, by the way. anniversary editions have neutral t5s... anyway my ordinary xp-g v10r is definitely neutral, with an excellent CRI, so i hope that SWM will be picky with its xm-l leds too! (or maybe i was just lucky)

dheim

Newly Enlightened
:shakehead

nope.

i just received an email from BJ, the XML models are simply put in preorder... :(

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they'll have the same output as the Anniversary Editions? 400 lumens is pretty nice from the V10R.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
there's still no available data on output... i don't think they'll be any different, anyway

Tiggercat

Enlightened
They have been up on the site for at least a couple weeks now. The bigger news is they dropped the price of the existing models.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's still no available data on output... i don't think they'll be any different, anyway

V20A T6, 160lm/460lm (14500+dummy cell)
V10A T6, 110lm/460lm (14500)
V10R T6, 160lm/460lm (RCR123, 16340)
M20A T6, 160lm/210lm (14500+dummy cell)
M10A T6, 110lm/210lm (14500)
M10R T6, 160lm/210lm (RCR123, 16340)

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know where those numbers came from? I don't see those on Sunwayman's or Batteryjunction's site.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
V20A T6, 160lm/460lm (14500+dummy cell)
V10A T6, 110lm/460lm (14500)
V10R T6, 160lm/460lm (RCR123, 16340)
M20A T6, 160lm/210lm (14500+dummy cell)
M10A T6, 110lm/210lm (14500)
M10R T6, 160lm/210lm (RCR123, 16340)

I see the V10A T6 has less lumens on a regular AA then the XP-G version....interesting.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
That's where I just ordered a V10R XM-L. I got my V10R Ti from them as well. They got some good prices and fast shipping to south Florida, US. :thumbsup:

Kilted

Enlightened
My V10A XML came in the mail today.

Body color is the same as the AE's LED color is not the neutral of the AE's beam spread are the same. Visually the V10A on 14500 output looks identical to V10R-AE except for the color. This light also came with a holster.

A short walk with V10A-XML and V10A-XPG to check beam pattern, using a 14500 in each. The easiest description is the XPG will light a spot in the crown of the tree and the XML lights up the whole crown of the tree to the same brightness as the XPG hotspot. Pointed at the sidewalk the wider hotspot of the XML covered more of the sidewalk.

Which beam pattern is better? Depends on your needs. For example I have had the V10A-XPG for two weeks and have taken it into work with me. I spend too much time in the back of racks. Inside of a rack the walls are usually black, lots of dark cables and shinny metal chassis the working distance is 1-3 feet. The XPG hot spot was often to bright the reflections are a killer, so I turn the brightness down. Now the hot spot is to small to cover the work area and the spill is to dim to be useful. The wider hot spot and brighter spill of the V10R-AE-XML means when I turn down the brightness the hot spot still covers the work area and the spill is still bright enough to be useful.

Comment from above I put an fresh off charger enelop in each and did a dark room ceiling bounce test (bounce light of ceiling while looking at the floor) visually to me they looked about the same I could not tell a difference between the two in overall light output. Now since the XPG has a tighter hotspot, the hotspot on the XPG will appear brighter than the XML. On enelop's the tighter XPG hotspot gives it an edge in throw. On 14500's the XML is much brighter, it's a wall of light.

The two lights are different animals, different job for each.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Which beam pattern is better? Depends on your needs. For example I have had the V10A-XPG for two weeks and have taken it into work with me. I spend too much time in the back of racks. Inside of a rack the walls are usually black, lots of dark cables and shinny metal chassis the working distance is 1-3 feet. The XPG hot spot was often to bright the reflections are a killer, so I turn the brightness down. Now the hot spot is to small to cover the work area and the spill is to dim to be useful. The wider hot spot and brighter spill of the V10R-AE-XML means when I turn down the brightness the hot spot still covers the work area and the spill is still bright enough to be useful.

The two lights are different animals, different job for each.
Really nice, useful post here and I'd just like to add that while I'm more often than not a fan of the floodier output, there are times when you're under the car or in the woods where having the main beam capable of piercing through wires or brush without too much light on the surroundings is better - too.

I have to close in the same manner as it really does depend on what you're doing with the light.

Kilted

Enlightened
160 lumems seems strangely low doesn't it?

We have an explanation; http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...hoto-addicts&p=2726821&viewfull=1#post2726821

Yes, SWM V10R/A seem very bright for what they are rated at. From the comments above SWM new rating are ANSI on primary cells as these are what "most" people will use. The "flashaholics" will use the higher performance Lithium secondaries that are not readily available. Even the RCR123A's I have seen in Fry's are the 3.0 volt regulated ones for cameras.

One thing I forgot to mention in my two week's of pocket carrying. I now understand and appreciate why there is no knurling on the V10R/A series. When dropped bare into a dress pants pockets the knurling will wear a hole in the pockets, smooth does not. When you take the light in hand and roll it around there are NO sharp rough edges, the light has a smooth hand feel, yea perhaps slippery when wet ;). It is a quality I learned to rapidly appreciate and adapt to.

I encourage SWM to keep the current style as sometimes it is better to just "wear the light nude:)", no clips, no lanyards, ... etc.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I now understand and appreciate why there is no knurling on the V10R/A series. When dropped bare into a dress pants pockets the knurling will wear a hole in the pockets, smooth does not. When you take the light in hand and roll it around there are NO sharp rough edges...
There's a common misconception that knurling is equal to rough edges, which never need be the case. Knurling can be fairly smooth or rough and sharp depending first on how it was imprinted or cut, and secondly on what happens to the light after the application of knurling and prior to release to the public.
Some very gentle and ever so slightly raised knurling on the adjustment ring could keep all happy.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I don't have a problem locating the control ring on mine in the dark, if you slide your thumb down the clip (as you pick it up) then where your thumb falls after then end of the clip is the control ring. Hard to explain as the ring isn't directly at the end of clip but as the up turned end of the clip sits at the 1st joint of your thumb your thumb tip touches the light body and that point will be the control ring.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't have a problem locating the control ring on mine in the dark, if you slide your thumb down the clip (as you pick it up) then where your thumb falls after then end of the clip is the control ring. Hard to explain as the ring isn't directly at the end of clip but as the up turned end of the clip sits at the 1st joint of your thumb your thumb tip touches the light body and that point will be the control ring.
I know you're trying to be helpful but I can find it too, just as I can walk through the woods with my eyes closed. However it is a shortcoming in one of the best lights by any maker to date, for covering a wide range of user and tasks, and it will be nice if they can improve the tactile locatability of the ring without having it coming down to special identification techniques.

AutoTech

Enlightened
What I mean is I'd rather have it this way than loosing some of it's beauty, everything in life has a compromise. I think it's one of the best looking lights out there, knurling will mean no pleasant pattern on the control ring.

Mind you, I'm not really fussed what they do with a new model. If they produce the v10r from now on with knurling and it sways others to buy one that's great. At least I've got the V10R titanium in it's current guise.

This is the first light I've owned that I'm actually worried about not having one day, ie loosing it or it breaking when they aren't available anymore :( It's the first light I'm going to have to buy another one (before they stop making them) of to keep in it's packet for when this breaks.