Describe your perfect (not available, but realistic design) light(s). I'll start...

mmace1

Enlightened
1.) A 8xAA Zebralight. Why? Not that big (same size as the old 2xD lights - great for household/backyard/hiking) use. Great beam pattern (mostly spill) and great circuitry. Excellent run-time. I currently have a TK-41 which usually has scotch tape over its lense (oddly effective solution for spill), but still...no tape and Zebralight circuitry...awfully nice. The TK-41 with tape is awesome, but I'd prefer a Zebralight take on it.

2.) A 3xXML 3 or 4 18650 light that doesn't ah...suck too much. High hopes for the upcoming Zebralight. But really...the "Dry" brand seems the best...all in its almost-unregulated glory...I'd love a Zebralight in this arena, as they've announced.

3.) I use to want a highly minimalist 1xAAA - now have it in the DQG II. Almost exactly what I wanted - just I would like a neutral tint. Aside from that...wow, got it. That said - I'd really like a AA version. Keep it the same but with AA, and *ideally* neutral but if not...better than anything else IMO.

/never owned a Zebralight, just have researched and expect much of them. No really...

Your wishes? Probably more specific/educated than mine. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, just get the ZL SC600 NW when it becomes available later this month and be done with it. Seriously, they got it very right with this one, and yes, I'm hoping their new high power, multi-XM-L release is just as good.

The light I'd love to see somebody make is a serious 2xAAA penlight. I know, I know, the Preon 2 is a fine light, and while it certainly is a step in the right direction, I'm hoping somebody will take the 2xAAA penlight concept to it's logical conclusion.

1. An electronic end switch.
2. Neutral XM-L
3. 3-4 fully adjustable levels (ala HDS), or a UI like ZL has (8 easily accessible levels).
4. Still keep it the size and weight of the Preon 2, small enough and light enough to keep in a front shirt pocket.

I'll be looking for it in my stocking :santa:.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiny single AAA light with:

1. 2 modes 15/60lms or some kind of infinitely adjustable output

2. Neutral tint

3. Zebralight H501 even flood beam

4. Zebralight efficiency

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
Here is my perfect EDC light:

• 1xAAA form factor (the size of a Streamlight Microstream)
• 2 modes - 65 lumens and 5 lumens
• Forward clicky
• High mode first with a press or click, then low mode with a quick second press or click (Surefire E1B/E2DL UI)
• 2-way, removable, deep pocket clip
• Screw-out/screw-in tail section to allow tail standing or easy switch activation
• Light OP reflector
• Neutral/warm tint (3800-4200K)
• Large fuzzy hotspot, wide spill, no rings or donut holes
• Removable head and bezel to allow other drivers, reflectors, lenses, bezels
• Stainless scalloped bezel ring
• IPX-8 waterproof rating
• Type III black anodizing

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
1AA/14500
natural HA
forward clicky, yet a tailstander
deep carry clip
3 mode with programmable levels
modable
SS bezel...

5000K high CRI

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 x AAA same size as ... say the Preon Revo but with a variable control ring

A 3 x XML with variable control ring

You might have guessed that I like variable control rings :D

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
A few lights I wish existed:

1. 1xAA with a SIDE clicky (and it'd be a forward clicky) for activation, but a twisty head that provides focusing ability (done properly, not like how Mags do it), and a twisting ring slightly behind that which provides either infinite brightness adjustment or a ton of levels. No "other modes". Form factor would be similar to the Quark Mini AA (but obviously not as tiny). That'd be my ultimate EDC.

2. Something with a form factor pretty similar to the old pagers from the late 80's that clips to a belt or a backpack strap. Light engine would face the front from the big side opposite of the clip. Basically a "headlamp" that can conveniently be slapped on to a location besides the head. AA battery size. Beam profile that is brighter at the center but without a well defined hotspot. "Bezel" would be able to tilt up, down, left, or right a few degrees within the main body. Maybe 3 brightness modes - one being the max practical for a couple of AA cells, another around 40 or 50 lumens (since this'd be somewhat floody of a light), and something in between.

3. This one's a stretch - glasses (since I wear them) with a couple of bare LED's of very small size mounted in the front side of the hinge area, wired internally to rechargeable coin cells that are maybe the size of a couple of stacked pennies which reside in a holder that's fully integrated into the back side and bottom of the "ear hooks" (lol is there a name for those?). Electronic clicky on one of those, output maybe 20 lumens and 5 or 10 minutes runtime if I'm lucky? This of course would be no true task lighting setup, but it could be cool...

Burgess

Flashaholic
an AAx1 version of:

(in no special order)

4Sevens Preon ReVo

Fenix E01

Fenix E05

ThruNite Ti

It's not like i'm asking for anything rediculous or unreasonable.

:(
_

edpmis02

Enlightened
A "D" cell, floody, multilevel, electric candle (in neutral or warm). I get tired of bright hot spots on my ceiling.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Takes 1x26650, puts out 1000 lumens and runs for 2.5h full brightness with a cooling bezel.

yowzer

Enlightened
A few:

Surefire A1L, with neutral or warm higher CRI LEDs. Floody low (~10 lumens), throwy high (~80 lumens), two stage tailcap UI. E1B style clip.

An adjustable angle light like the Fenix MC11, but with a floody beam more suitable for close up task lighting and area illumination. XM-L with frosted lens, or a XP-G with E05 style diffuser optic would work.

An angle light with a RGB MC-E in it. Two dials: One with 4 positions to select color, and one for brightness, with scaled ramping. 4xAA battery.

mmace1

Enlightened
My perfict light would be a 1xAA made by HDS. Clicky.

I've never owned an HDS - but I've had the thought that if they had a 1xAA - I'd give it a go. Just to see what the fuss is about. I can't now though, as unfortunately, I'm too in love with rechargeable options. A 1x18650 HDS would be interesting...create quite the Zebralight vs. HDS war, I imagine.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
First of all, just get the ZL SC600 NW when it becomes available later this month and be done with it.

I plan on it! If not it..than their 3xXML or their 4xAA. OK so my plans are a bit flexible...bleh, I don't particularly like delving into an entirely new charger *just* for flashlights though. Thus, despite research, my resistance to li-ion lights thus far.

But yes...very likely a SC600 NW...I've nearly bought the CW version many times!

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1D XML flashlight with a .04 lumens - 80 lumens on 1.5 volts. On 4 volts or more ran at 800 lumens.
And that would be acheaved with lithium battery or an extender.
Head and body the same diameter

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2 AA Zebralight that's less 5'' long. Every flashlight company makes 2 AA lights except for Zebralight. The side switch is perfect for this length. This light should have:

1. Neutral white XM-L

2. A round head for attaching a filter or diffuser. Can't pop on a filter with their current lights.

mmace1

Enlightened
2xAAA penlight...Neutral XM-L

Actually that's a really good idea now that I think of it...quite the wall of light. Short runtime @ 350 or whatever max. lumens but...with rechargeables, who cares?

I'm sold.

mmace1

Enlightened
an AAx1 version of:

(in no special order)

4Sevens Preon ReVo

Fenix E01

Fenix E05

ThruNite Ti

It's not like i'm asking for anything rediculous or unreasonable.

:(
_

I'd really like a AA version of the DQG II. Previous to knowing that light, I really wanted a AA version of the Fenix E05.