I think I killed my Preon 1 with a 10440

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've been using an AW 10440 through my Ti Preon 1 with tail cap clicky for the past several months, running it on high routinely but no longer than 1-2 minutes at a time. I saw several youtube vids of Preon 1 owner running a 10440 on high for much longer than I had with seemingly no ill effect. I read all the posts/warnings about running the 10440 through it so I knew the potential pitfalls and consequences, but how can you resist that kind of output from a 1xAAA light??? I sure couldn't...

Anyways, I tried cleaning the contacts, threads, using an alkaline AAA battery, using the flat twisty tail cap, but to no avail. My little Preon 1 just stopped working all together. Now, I can't really pinpoint the failure being caused by the 10440, but it seems to be a fair assumption since I can't think of anything else that would have caused the light to go ka-put.

Just thought I'd share my experience with those Preon 1 owners who are also running a 10440 through their light. Your mileage will vary...unfortunately, my experience was short lived. I don't think I would do it again considering I spent over $70 for the little Preon 1 with accessories considering it only lasted a few months...but obviously, this was operator error on my part :ohgeez:for using a 10440 in it, so no worries, it is what it is...

Has anyone else's Preon 1 failed using a 10440???

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first one i have seen dying on a 10440.
Can you open it and see if it's the led or the driver that has poofed?

HIDblue

Enlightened
Hey jorn...wow, that would be way above my level of expertise...the led seems to be intact from what I can see through the lens.

xul

Enlightened
...the led seems to be intact from what I can see through the lens.
Make an LED checker.
First check that the reverse breakdown voltage of your LED less than 3v. Then put a 3v battery in series with a 3K resistor and it will put up to 1 mA through your LED.
Check it with both polarities and compare the LED voltage and battery current to the LED V-I curve in the specs.
Some DVMs have a diode test function but the test current may be too small for this app.

Last edited: