new use for UV LEDs

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
OH for crying out loud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
What's next? A computer monitor with NUV LEDs in it to "purify" the air in front of the computer?
A keyboard with NUV LEDs under each key to disinfect the user's fingers?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one problem, the 395nm LEDs that they use are not short enough wavelength to "kill germs", you need Short Wave UV, 254nm to do that

CiTY

Enlightened
I have a UV bulb in my humidifier... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I wonder if you stare at the mouse too long, you'll go blind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There's probably a "germicidial" "incandescent" UV bulb in there. I'm pretty sure there's argon and mercury vapor in the bulb, and it runs on just under 12 volts. An "arc" forms at each end of the filament.

The arc emits substantial amounts of the 253.7 nanometer shortwave UV line of mercury (which is harmful to bacteria and other organisms); lesser amounts of the 184.9nm shortwave UV line are also emitted.

Marked

Enlightened
Yeah, good idea, kill the germs but after they remove your "clean hand" because of cancer then what?

Chengiz

Enlightened
Umm...............Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I thought Howard Hughes was dead............but then again I think Elvis is dead too.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too Kewl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Suntan, skin cancer, clean hands. All from the comfort of your computer desk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
AS the wavelength of the LEDs get shorter, their eff goes down - I have some 350nm LEDs and they are only 1uw
The most I have seen at 350nm is 30uw, thats not enough to do anything with

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use UV lights everyday in my business to cure resins. Intensity is a key and currently you're just not going to get that from LEDs.