Review: Dorcy's 618 Lumen ANSI rated MG-XML 6xAA

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
My little review of the new Dorcy ANSI rated 618 lumen MG-XML

I've been into flashlights all my life - I'm 43 now. You can see from my avatar info I've been a CPF member for almost 10 years, so I've seen a lot of changes come to pass in the world of flashlights. I remember when not so long ago - maybe 5-6 years ago, we were spending countless hours and tons of money building custom made flashlights that were not this good - quality/output/runtime wise. Now anyone can just lay down $90 bucks and have a flashlight we would have given our left arm for not all that long ago. These are good times for the flashaholic!

So I've had this light for about a week now, and I really like it. Originally I thought it was a bit behind the competition due to lack of settings or modes, but then I realized that its simplicity is part of what makes it so good. Let's face it, not everyone out there loves flashlights like us CPF members do, and multi modes and flashing SOS etc. is just some confusing stuff to get in the way of "light when they need it" for joe home owner. I think Dorcy made the right move by keeping this light simple (just three choices high/low/off) with this light, besides we didn't need another alternative to the TK40, this simple version is really good at what it has set out to be.

My observations:

- Fit and finish are excellent!
- Beam is excellent - nice hot spot for good throw and two layers of fading spill, really great beam pattern.
- It tail stands, which is important to me, and a very useful feature.
- Has anti roll away built in with bezel and tail cap design.
- Comes with lanyard.
- Dude, buy it now it's on sale for less than $95 and comes with a pack of 8 (even tho you only need 6) quality alky batteries and free shipping!
- It can run on only 3 batteries if you need to for some reason.
- I really like the looks.
- It feels really good in the hand. Decent grip, good balance. Not too long, not too fat, not too heavy.

I haven't had a chance to run it with rechargeables yet, but I bet it will be even better. For now I'm really impressed with how well it does with the alkys.

Further info:​

DESCRIPTION: 600+ Lumen – 6AA LED Metal Gear XLM Flashlight (618 ANSI rated lumens)
ITEM NO: 41-0435 on the Dorcy website
COLOR: Gun Metal Gray
MATERIAL: Aerospace Grade Anodized Aluminum
BATTERY TYPE: 6XAA
LUMENS (HIGH / LOW): 618 Lumens / 173 Lumens
RUN TIME (HIGH / LOW): 5 Hours 45 Minutes / 25+ Hours - see runtime graph below which was done with alkalines
BEAM DISTANCE (HIGH / LOW): 363 Meters / 200 Meters
SWITCH SETTING: Side Mounted Push Button Switch – High & Low
PRODUCT DIMENSIONS: 9.00" L X 1.50' W X 1.50" H
PRODUCT WEIGHT: 9.90 Ounces / 15.50 Ounces (including alkaline batteries)
ADDITIONAL FEATURES: Rotatable Lanyard Ring with Nylon Wrist Lanyard

46140330.jpg

63552529.jpg

61789110.jpg

76625165.jpg

71527921.jpg

68669201.jpg

88041088.jpg

d11kw.jpg

78712024.jpg

Here (just below) is the deal that Dorcy is running right now (as I'm writing this 11-5-11). My feeling is that this light is well worth it at this price. Even if the free battery offer ends, Dorcy always extends a 20% off to CPF members.

METAL GEAR XLM -EXTREME LUMENS
USE COUPON: POWER 20% off List price
free shipping + 8 Pack of DieHard batteries
Only $95.20 after savings

By the way - just for some reference, I own dozens of flashlights including Surefire, JetBeam, Fenix, ITP, Wolf-Eyes, LumaPower, etc, etc. So I'm not just comparing this to department store flashlights. It really is a decent light. Do you remember those Oldsmobile car commercials that said "The new Oldsmobile... this isn't your fathers Oldsmobile". Well that slogan comes to mind when I look at this light... this isn't that inexpensive plastic Dorcy light your mom gave you to go trick-or-treating with when you were a kid. This thing is a serious flashlight at a reasonable price, and I love that it is fully tested and rated by the ANSI standards!

d14v.jpg

d13p.jpg

21545809.jpg

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I saw this light on their website when it came out and have been a little curious how it performs against some of the higher power lights, but I just can't get myself to spend even the "sale price" of $95 on a Dorcy light. I mean I can get the TK35 for less than that :confused:.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Look at the runtime graph, big drop in lumens after only a few minutes. no regulation.... deal breaker :thumbsdow.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this light on their website when it came out and have been a little curious how it performs against some of the higher power lights, but I just can't get myself to spend even the "sale price" of $95 on a Dorcy light. I mean I can get the TK35 for less than that :confused:.

The TK35 is a nice light, but I wouldn't really think of the TK35 and this Dorcy in the same catagory. The TK35 runs on CR123/18650's. This Dorcy runs on alkaline AA's, or lithium AA's if you want to spend the money to get the benefits of them, or better yet get some Enelope AA or other rechargeable AA's and you are set. It is nice to have the option of all three types of batteries.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the runtime graph, big drop in lumens after only a few minutes. no regulation.... deal breaker :thumbsdow.

Yeah, bummer that it isn't regulated, but it should be noted that the runtime graph is with alkaline batteries. It would look much better with rechargeables. Still even with the alkys it is doing 400 lumens at 30 minutes and 300 at an hour and 20 mins. Really not bad on alkys. I've gotta test it out with some Enelopes, I'm thinking it will be much better.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Yeah, bummer that it isn't regulated, but it should be noted that the runtime graph is with alkaline batteries. It would look much better with rechargeables. Still even with the alkys it is doing 400 lumens at 30 minutes and 300 at an hour and 20 mins. Really not bad on alkys. I've gotta test it out with some Enelopes, I'm thinking it will be much better.
Great review by the way, sorry I meant to add that in my first post.

If the runtime and regulation are much better with Eneloops then I might reconsider. Please let us know how the runtime test comes out with the Eneloops. Is it possible to post some better beamshots of this light? Thanks in advance.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, i like it. great "keep in the car with lithium AA's" light. a bit pricey thou

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Regardless of how I feel about the price/performance ratio... brands putting out lights like this will only draw more people into this hobby so I see it as a win/win for everyone... the more people interested in lights... the more money involved... the more people you'll see start up new companies and make new lights.

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
This light should really excel with some L91 lithium's instead of the alkaline batteries.

Nice design and I'm liking the gun metal/yellow combination. Not bad for less than $100 shipped... I would have preferred a glass lens vs. the polycarbonate, but for the intended purpose (walks, mostly), I guess the polycarbonate is better for the occasional drop onto asphalt or sidewalk.

What's the bezel made out of? Polished aluminum?

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
If I am undersanding this correctly from previous posts, bad regulation is due to the alkalines. IMO, for $95, Dorcy should have thrown in a set of cheap Nimh batteries and charger. Better still, lower the price to around $50 and just mention some thing like "Recommended to run on Rechargable Nimh, but compatible with alkalines".

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am undersanding this correctly from previous posts, bad regulation is due to the alkalines. ".
i would think so too, but lets wait untill someone tests it with nimh, i personaly more interested in graph using lithium
AAs

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone - I have some interesting news on this light.

I was going to do some testing on my own, and planned on plotting some runtime graphs of Alkaline VS Rechargable VS Lithium, but it seems like work and other things keep getting in the way of stuff I would rather be doing. So I decided to just contact Dorcy and find out if they had any plans to do this kind of testing already. I'm glad I did, they are planning on testing this light with both Rechargeable and Lithium batteries. They assured me that the testing will be done in the same fashion as the Alkaline testing, and that all of their testing is now done to ANSI standards. I was told that the results should be posted on the Dorcy website (www.dorcydirect.com) soon - maybe later this week. Once I notice the testing is posted on their website, I'll also add the results to this review.

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
I guess something went wrong during testing, because now their specs state: "6 AA alkaline - DO NOT USE LITHIUM BATTERIES"

LOL - maybe too much heat build up? With the alkaline graph, it appears that the light doesn't feature any regulation. Maybe they designed the heat sink to accommodate a light with 600 lumens for 10-15 min..... not 1-1.5 hrs (just an example).

That really sucks because I really liked the aesthetics and performance of this light. I just had a Rebel MagLED 3D fizzle out of me because one of the alkalines leaked (how do you get that LED module out, it had a really nice tint!). Rechargeables are good, but I planned on loading this Dorcy up with lithiums and taking it on walks.

I'm interested to see their testing before I hit the BUY button.............

NickBose

Enlightened
I guess no regulation suits general consumer market. Otherwise an average Joe will think "WTF? It was so bright seconds ago then all of a sudden it's dead, not dimming and giving me time to change the batts"
This is just a supermarket light, albeit an excellent one (it's good to have NO battery holder).
Considering the Dorcy price, I'm happy I got a Sunwayman M40A $110 shipped - 4AA, HA III aluminium, 600 lumen fully regulated 1+ hour.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess something went wrong during testing, because now their specs state: "6 AA alkaline - DO NOT USE LITHIUM BATTERIES"

LOL - maybe too much heat build up? With the alkaline graph, it appears that the light doesn't feature any regulation. Maybe they designed the heat sink to accommodate a light with 600 lumens for 10-15 min..... not 1-1.5 hrs (just an example).

That really sucks because I really liked the aesthetics and performance of this light. I just had a Rebel MagLED 3D fizzle out of me because one of the alkalines leaked (how do you get that LED module out, it had a really nice tint!). Rechargeables are good, but I planned on loading this Dorcy up with lithiums and taking it on walks.

I'm interested to see their testing before I hit the BUY button.............

that sucks, i too was interested to use lithiums in it.

as for magled with leaked out cell, you could take stop ring in front of the switch, but it will be not easy, or in worst case, use pipe cutter to cut the tube after the switch, than reinstal guts into incandesent host, even thou there is some difference, in threading up front, you can still use led module in inc. host just fine, i've done it before

Jay611j

Enlightened
Well heck, I was looking at Homedepot.com for deals and up popped this Dorcy 600 lumen flashlight for $49.99 with free shipping. :huh: I couldn't pass it up for that price, the deal ends tomorrow 11/28 and to think I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Dorcy site for the cyber Monday $88 sale price.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Nice review. Looks very similar to the one in this advertisement.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/DorcyDirect?v=qYPSVnkWLBc[/video]

nine204

Newly Enlightened
Pretty neat! But I must say, this part almost made my brain explode:

- Fit and finish are excellent!
- Beam is excellent
- I really like the looks.​

because:

that inexpensive plastic Dorcy light your mom gave you to go trick-or-treating with when you were a kid.

Maybe they're going to be looking at doing some rebranding? "Awesome!" and "Dorcy!" is going to be hard for some people to wrap their head around.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Looks very similar to the one in this advertisement.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/DorcyDirect?v=qYPSVnkWLBc[/video]

Thanks CLHC - yes the Dorcy version and the DieHard version are very similar - mostly just color differences, and slight machine work differences - but really the same light dressed differently.