Buying guys in my dept EDC/work torches for Xmas

rempy

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, longtime lurker and first time poster. I have gotten great
info from the forum and the permanent bug.

I am posting for advice on how to buy each of the guys in my dept a nice
torch for end of year appreciation. I can spend somewhere in the range
of $50 each (dept of 8). We work in datacenters so ideally the lights
would be hands-free capable and EDC'ish size. My questions are:

1) I seem to remember seeing a light that that had an optional headband
attachment but I can't find it now. Is there anything like that out
there? Or maybe a 3rd party company that can outfit a EDC size torch
into hands-free?

2) Should I get CR123 fueled lights? It's my preference and I'd get
them a set of spare batts to go along, but maybe better to go easily
available/AA? None of them have ever tried anything other than alkaline
incandescents and I'm pretty sure they will get the bug very quickly. Best
to start on a different energy source?

3) Opinions on which torch? They just need low-med-high and no beacon
or strobe modes or anything like that. Tac not necessary, though I'm
a neverending fan of tail/bezel stand. Single hand operation would be
good and durability/reliability is key.

TIA for any advice.

-Jason

HIDblue

Enlightened
You may want to take a look at either the Zebralight SC51 and/or H51...both are 1xAA form factor, you can use regular AA or rechargeable Eneloop AAs, come with elastic headbands for use as a headlamp, and put out 200 lumens. Opinions may vary, but I really like the UI on the Zebralights...you can access any of the modes H-M-L from the off position by the clicky.

They're a little more than you want to spend, but with the CPF discount...they're not too bad.

CPF'er Selfbuilt did a great review about the SC51:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...XP-E-Neutral)-1xAA-Reviews-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
HIDblue said:
You may want to take a look at either the Zebralight SC51 and/or H51...both are 1xAA form factor, you can use regular AA or rechargeable Eneloop AAs, come with elastic headbands for use as a headlamp, and put out 200 lumens. Opinions may vary, but I really like the UI on the Zebralights...you can access any of the modes H-M-L from the off position by the clicky.

They're a little more than you want to spend, but with the CPF discount...they're not too bad.

CPF'er Selfbuilt did a great review about the SC51:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?291124-Zebralight-SC51-(XP-G-R4)-amp-SC50w-(XP-E-Neutral)-1xAA-Reviews-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

+1 on this recommendation

davecroft

Enlightened
Many years before I became a flashaholic I saw a little flashlight in an outdoor / camping equipment store in the Lake District here in UK (Fishers of Keswick - its still there). What caught my eye was that it was small, waterproof and gave out a hell of a lot of light (this was in the days before LEDs so its all relative). I bought it without even checking what battery it took. Afterwards I realised it used a CR123 but didn't give it much thought. Can't remember what make the light was was but it was US made and not cheap.

1 week later it needed a new battery. That's when I found out about the problem with CR123's! Could I find one anywhere? Eventually I tracked one down but it cost about £5 and my salary at the time must have been around £50 a week max. So I never did replace the battery and that light sat at the back of a drawer of over 20 years before I threw it out. This was 30 years ago and things have changed a bit with the advent of the internet and low priced e-retailers, but I still find myself avoiding CR123's. I have lots of Eneloops and a good charger and I like the idea of running my lights for virtually nothing.

Just my opinion - I know you guys in the US have better prices and availabilities on CR123's, over here they are still relatively expensive and not readily available in the shops.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would recommend the Zebralight H51/SC51. They take AAs so no trouble finding batteries, they make a lot of light, are really designed around their included headband, and are just really well made overall.