Led Lenser P5R

Ron M

Newly Enlightened
Any one use a Led Lenser P5R are they worth the cost or is there a better buy out there?

Help

Newly Enlightened
Unless you like the adjustable beam, there's better and brighter out there. The charging system looks interesting though. I like the flood mode for up close as there's no blinding hotspot, but I find they are only useful for looking at something "right here"or " way over there." :shrug:

davyro

Enlightened
Hi Ron:welcome: i don't have a P5R,what i do have is a T7 & a M14,Led Lensers aren't that popular on CPF .So you'll be lucky to find
a P5R owner here but then again there's a lot of flashaholics here which have all kinds of lights.So i'll give you my views on what
i own.Led Lensers are quality in there build as well as reliability,for me there is no better spot to flood light out there.I see your going for the rechargeable version
i know these are a bit more expensive but i can tell you if you don't get the rechargeable the battery life in my Led Lensers is absolutely brilliant
i don't know of another light that has runtimes like theres on max power.For me i think they're worth the money the beam profile isn't the best
but if your using it outdoors you'll not notice that one bit,put it this way theres a lot worse light for the same kind of money & i love mine:thumbsup:

Miri

Newly Enlightened
Led Lenser are way overrated, but have a good marketing dept. Over here in Germany, you see lots of LEO´s with Led Lenser lights. But if you ask some about their oppinions and expirience, they are mostly disapointed *** soon as they have seen Surefire or similar "real" flaslights.

PerttiK

Enlightened
There are lights with better quality even with lower price, but not many if any in this size have convenient in light charging systems.

jupello

Enlightened
It depends on how much you value the adjustable beam and the charging system.
If you need/want those, then it will be very hard to find anything better. If you don't care about them, then it is likely that some other light is better buy for you.

There's also the newer M5R model, which has the extra modes and blinky stuff if you want them.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
We did a review of the P5R a couple months back, here's the link: http://www.led-resource.com/2011/09/led-lenser-p5r-review/

P5R_Runtime.png

Hope this helps!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might not be regulated in the way you like, but it is regulated. ;)

If it ran at full power, total runtime would probably be less than half an hour.

kreisler

Banned
nice torch, there are a couple of interesting youtube videos for the P5R.
yeah, i think they are overpriced and over-marketed in Germany (LED Lenser is 100% German stuff). You may wanna start with a cheap clone from Ch*na, and if you really like it then do the leap.
they are mostly disapointed *** soon as they have seen Surefire or similar "real" flaslights.
Me too, i prefer real flashlights. Olight, Fenix, 4Sevens, Eagtac, all good stuff and less costly than German lensers ;)

bulaohu

Newly Enlightened
I have one, and I quite like it - convenient for daily use, and that's what matters. For the impractical and mad aspect of life, I have a fire sword - all other "real" flashlights look like a candle in the wind when fire sword is turned on. Pure awesomeness. Only downside is that I have to separate the fire sword and the batteries when not using it, fearing my son will want to play too!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I've been enjoying my new P5R for about 2 weeks. My light's output seems better regulated. Indeed, this German review (Google's English translation here) found the P5R's regulation impressive:

Praxistest Laufzeitmessung:
beim Einschalten: 11.400 Lux
nach 5 Minuten: 11.300 Lux
nach 10 Minuten: 11.100 Lux
nach 15 Minuten: 10.400 Lux
nach 20 Minuten: 10.000 Lux
nach 25 Minuten: 9.600 Lux
nach 30 Minuten: 9.000 Lux
nach 35 Minuten: 8.300 Lux
nach 40 Minuten: 5.400 Lux

In other words, after 40 minutes, it still throws with the best 1AA nonturbos.

I bought the P5R to replace my XTAR WK26 as my shirtpocket thrower. Instead, it's replaced two 1xAA lights--one narrow thrower (Nitecore EZ AA XP-E R3), one narrow flooder (Peak El Capitan XP-G R5--on my keyring. It outthrows the thrower and outfloods the flooder. I also own a Shininingbeam Romisen RC-29 II (5C tint) with a custom 2-stage driver that runs on a 14500 only. The Romisen outthrows the Lenser, but only because it can shoot a narrower beam. The Lenser seems two-thirds brighter at any beam size.

We did a review of the P5R a couple months back, here's the link: http://www.led-resource.com/2011/09/led-lenser-p5r-review/

P5R_Runtime.png

Hope this helps!

Kilted

Enlightened
OK, bought a P5R to replace it's predecessor. I also have the earlier 14500 version that had the miniature coaxial charger connection in the side. It worked for many years then the socket started to stick and the light would not come on until the spring contact felt like it.

I like the charge battery in light feature so the P5R has became the go to choice for my main work EDC. I have tried longer lights like Inova T3, really nice light but to big and to bright. I went looking for some thing smaller, first I found the P5R predecessor that was great until I started having trouble with it. I then looked at Mini Maglites to long again. The P5R gives a much cleaner zoom focus than a Maglite with the 14500 the light is 1/2 the length. Easy recharging, with a 15 lumen's dim mode makes it a very good work EDC. Most of my needs for a light at work means going into computer racks, so the working distance is short and a light that is too bright will have blinding reflections. The dim mode and zoom focus all help to tame the reflections.

My non-work EDC's are Sunwayman V10R/A's.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I've been enjoying my new P5R for about 2 weeks. My light's output seems better regulated. Indeed, this German review (Google's English translation here) found the P5R's regulation impressive:

Praxistest Laufzeitmessung:
beim Einschalten: 11.400 Lux
nach 5 Minuten: 11.300 Lux
nach 10 Minuten: 11.100 Lux
nach 15 Minuten: 10.400 Lux
nach 20 Minuten: 10.000 Lux
nach 25 Minuten: 9.600 Lux
nach 30 Minuten: 9.000 Lux
nach 35 Minuten: 8.300 Lux
nach 40 Minuten: 5.400 Lux
If it maintains regulation that well, it would not be able to reach 3 hours runtime. Since that review was from a while ago, it's possible that there are multiple versions of the light because LED Lenser was purchased by Leatherman, and the output rating was reduced to 200 lumens. They also didn't state a runtime on high in the review...

What's the serial number of your light? Is is closer to mine, or the one in that review?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the serial number of your light? Is is closer to mine, or the one in that review?

002401 Taschenlampentests S/N. (oldest of the three)
047630 your S/N.
084433 my S/N. (newest of the three)

That site's finding is replicated by a second German review (Google-English), which wrote (translated), "...the lamp is switched off just after a certain charge level. Before that, she is only slightly darker, which is not really noticeable after prolonged operation."

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since that review was from a while ago, it's possible that there are multiple versions of the light because LED Lenser was purchased by Leatherman, and the output rating was reduced to 200 lumens.
I've seen three claims:
200 lumens, 190 meters
215 lumens, 190 meters
225 lumens, 193 meters.

I meant to buy from a dealer that claimed to have a 225-lumen version, but ended up buying mine on Amazon (200L). For the 200 lumen light, the emitter is/was an XR-E R2. Perhaps the company now uses an XR-E R3.

On the other hand, 200 lumens / 190 meters are claimed to be ANSI figures, whereas I'm not sure about the more generous claims.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting...I ran the test with S/N 47630, so I will try it again with my editor's P5R and see what happens.

Kilted

Enlightened
Well since I have the M7R also I decided to do a comparison. The M7R is a considerably bigger light using a 18650 cell. The lens is much larger and just like a standard reflector bigger and deeper gives a narrower and thrower beam.

I did a ceiling bounce test and the two lights are close enough that I can not tell the difference in brightness. Outside in the back yard the P5R is all flood compared to M7R. For those not familiar with LED Lenser what you normally think of spill does not exist. The P5R at all points from spot to flood the beam is always wider. As a result the M7R on full spot lights a spot in the neighbors tree the P5R lights up the whole crown.

I have had a chance to us it to look into a computer rack and the dim is to dim, it really needs to be a three stage light. This is were my SWM-V10A-XML wins. The adjustable light level is so much better. The P5R wins with the zoom optic, you control the amount of illumination with the zoom, to bright zoom out need more light zoom in. When I tried a SWM-V10A-XPG the spot and spill in a rack made the light almost unusable.

=D~~ Kilted