Practicality of lights that are All Throw, looking at DEFT EDC as extreme case

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at beam shots 'somewhere' on CPF and beam shots of the DEFT EDC on the OMG site.
Very impressed with the amazing throw of the DEFT EDC, throwing so well that the shape of the led is well defined at 1000 feet no less.
This is amazing to say the least, but my initial thought was that the Hound Dog XP-G gave a much more useable illumination of a scene, while the DEFT gave a brilliant square of light...
I'd love for someone to just send me one of each to compare in person but failing that I'm trying to imagine the best practical uses for the DEFT EDC, and that led me to wondering how practical the light was for creating a distant zone of diffused light, by targeting a reflective surface.
Examples might be lighting up a wall at an angle, lighting up the trunk of a big white sycamore tree, lighting up the side of a cliff, etc.
Clearly this light would be fantastic on open water or from a high vantage point.

I have already seen the two finger diffuser trick, and the inclusing of a diffuser with the light allows the user to modify the light with two levels of diffusion, which is very good.
I am intrigued by the possibilities of having almost no side spill shining glare back at you from your immediate surroundings.
Has anyone used one of these extensively enough to develop a set of practical applications for the light?

The Hound Dog Malkoffs seem more practical overall, size and weight not withstanding, but I am hoping to hear about the benefits of no spill and extreme range.
I'd really like one of each.

[EDIT, sorry this should probably be moved to Spotlights and HID forum]

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should probably be moved to the LED Flashlight forum actually.

I don't have the DEFT EDC but it is just a well done version of an aspheric thrower of which I do have several. The uses (for me) are for spotting something without all the glare and contrast reduction from backscatter or for not calling attention to yourself or bothering the neighbors.

Hunters use them for spotting and shooting wildlife. I use them for spotting and observing wildlife. They are also just useful in general when you are out hiking (in addition to a more floody headlamp).

I don't really like multi-purpose lights whether that's flood-to-throw lights or just a non-adjustable beam that has flood and throw. I diffuse most of my general purpose lights and for throw carry a second dedicated thrower (usually aspheric).

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at beam shots 'somewhere' on CPF and beam shots of the DEFT EDC on the OMG site.
Very impressed with the amazing throw of the DEFT EDC, throwing so well that the shape of the led is well defined at 1000 feet no less.
This is amazing to say the least, but my initial thought was that the Hound Dog XP-G gave a much more useable illumination of a scene, while the DEFT gave a brilliant square of light...
I'd love for someone to just send me one of each to compare in person but failing that I'm trying to imagine the best practical uses for the DEFT EDC, and that led me to wondering how practical the light was for creating a distant zone of diffused light, by targeting a reflective surface.
Examples might be lighting up a wall at an angle, lighting up the trunk of a big white sycamore tree, lighting up the side of a cliff, etc.
Clearly this light would be fantastic on open water or from a high vantage point.

I have already seen the two finger diffuser trick, and the inclusing of a diffuser with the light allows the user to modify the light with two levels of diffusion, which is very good.
I am intrigued by the possibilities of having almost no side spill shining glare back at you from your immediate surroundings.
Has anyone used one of these extensively enough to develop a set of practical applications for the light?

The Hound Dog Malkoffs seem more practical overall, size and weight not withstanding, but I am hoping to hear about the benefits of no spill and extreme range.
I'd really like one of each.

[EDIT, sorry this should probably be moved to Spotlights and HID forum]

Since you have seen that video then you are aware it is more versatile than it might seem on the surface. Although I am the maker of the light I am still objective about my lights. They are not perfect in every situation. In fact no light is and if someone tells you otherwise they don't know what they are talking about. I use my light every day. It is in fact my edc. That consists primarily of trips to and from the car into the house, and back and forth between my house and shop. I also use it to patrol a parking lot. Inconspicuousness is the key here. The ability to search an area without "collateral damage" is of great benefit. I can keep the beam where I want it and only where I want it.
Searching around houses for perps is easy to do without disturbing the occupants. When I hear bumps in the night the DEFT-edc is my goto light. The intensity of the light means it is a fairly good defensive tool as well.

One area that it is not good for (even with the finger bounce technique) is when I go searching around the house after everyone is asleep. My wife goes to bed way before me and I am constantly forgetting things in the bedroom that I have to go get. You really need a multi-mode light that can go real low for that type of activity.

Some of the more esoteric uses. I have used it at the airport to signal someone who was picking me up. I was able to put the beam on them alone and not blind all the other drivers surrounding them. I have gotten the attention of multiple people by flashing the beam on them and them alone. On a few occasions I have signaled other drivers(although discretion is advised) as to their headlights being off with a couple waving thank yous as a response.

Then there is the fun that comes with blowing the minds of the uninitiated when they see the beam that comes out of such a small package. That's pretty much how I use it although there are quite a few more practical uses primarily dealing with security or search and rescue as well as hunting.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that with some creative use your light could be a very versatile tool.
I haven't ever messed with a real spot light, but rather lights that throw with lots of side spill.
The ability to put a lot of light in one spot without back splash glare does seem very useful, again it would take some getting used to.
One question and suggestion, have you looked into what it would take to make your light dimmable? I'm thinking that even two levels would be a game changer.
In my mind the two position diffuser option makes your highly specialized light into a very viable option.
Thanks for your work and for your reply.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Can somebody point me to some high quality aspheric lights that run on CR123 primaries?

It's my understanding that the DEFT EDC only runs on 18650?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that with some creative use your light could be a very versatile tool.
I haven't ever messed with a real spot light, but rather lights that throw with lots of side spill.
The ability to put a lot of light in one spot without back splash glare does seem very useful, again it would take some getting used to.
One question and suggestion, have you looked into what it would take to make your light dimmable? I'm thinking that even two levels would be a game changer.
In my mind the two position diffuser option makes your highly specialized light into a very viable option.
Thanks for your work and for your reply.
I do know what I can do to make it dimmable but the solution is not necessarily simple. At least to do it right.

Can somebody point me to some high quality aspheric lights that run on CR123 primaries?

It's my understanding that the DEFT EDC only runs on 18650?
I don't think there is anything off the shelf available. You might look into making your own using a drop-in and Ahorton aspheric combo. The DEFT-edc is indeed 18650 only. I could modify the driver to accept CR123s but it would ruin the almost perfectly efficient driver setup. With the driver ,battery, and LED matched as they are there is almost no waste heat. This is the result of a holistic view to the lights design.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
saabluster said:
I don't think there is anything off the shelf available. You might look into making your own using a drop-in and Ahorton aspheric combo. The DEFT-edc is indeed 18650 only. I could modify the driver to accept CR123s but it would ruin the almost perfectly efficient driver setup. With the driver ,battery, and LED matched as they are there is almost no waste heat. This is the result of a holistic view to the lights design

Thank you for the offer, however you should stick to your principles. That sounds really cool that the driver/led/cells match so closely.

Not keen on getting into the 18650s ... They seem to be great for EDC but I'm looking for something to take on extended trips away from a wall-charger and don't want to be bringing multiple cell types along.

If you branch out into CR123s let me know, or if you 'experiment' with driver mods let me know and ill gladly relieve you of it! :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the offer, however you should stick to your principles. That sounds really cool that the driver/led/cells match so closely.

Not keen on getting into the 18650s ... They seem to be great for EDC but I'm looking for something to take on extended trips away from a wall-charger and don't want to be bringing multiple cell types along.

If you branch out into CR123s let me know, or if you 'experiment' with driver mods let me know and ill gladly relieve you of it! :)

I wasn't really offering.:nana::)

yifu

Enlightened

A small solar panel goes a long way... Cottonpickers makes ones that can recharge a lower capacity 18650 in less than 3 hours.