Is this ok?SF Nitrolon head/Moddo Alum body/Malkoff M61L?

purelite

Enlightened
I am wondering if this setup is ok?

Surefire Nitrolon head with SS bezel ring/Oveready Moddoo aluminium body /Malkoff M61L light engine powered by 2x18650?

I have sifted thru the search results and find some discussion on Malkoffs and plastic lights. I know Gene recommend not using an M61 in an all nitrolon light. I know SF switched to a metal head to help with heat issues.

But I havnt seen anywhere discussion of using a Nitro head on a metal body with a low M61 dropin. is there enough contact with the body to transfer heat on this setup? I have run this malkoff M61L in a Malkoff host and the above mention one and I dont feel any heat at all after letting it tailstand for 20 mins.
Are things ok? I dont want to shorten the life of my M61L but like the tuffness of the nitro head. Oh I have also wrapped the M61 dropin in copper tape

Any thoughts comments? I would think there is more heat transfer contact between the body and the M61L than with the dropin and the head since on the Moddoo bodies the dropin sits down in the throat of the body

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion is that because the module actually sits in the body of the light, the metal body/nitrolon head would be better than a nitrolon body/metal head setup.

purelite

Enlightened
I'll get a pic up soon. :)

Why a Nitro bezel?

I tipped over the light with an alum. HA head. put a dent in the head on the side and took off some annodizing. I know if you use things they will start to show it inevitably. But I figured anything I can do to slow the process down or in certain areas almost prevent it totally then I will try it. I was also thinking of putting a Nitro tailcap on it also. It actually looks cool I think :) . Thinking of putting another color on there too!!

I'll get a pic up today

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Much of the heat is transferred through the threads, where the head screws to the body, so putting a nitrolon head would only insulate the heat. A low output drop-in would be okay though.

purelite

Enlightened
well just for peace of mind I ran the setup for a good 30 mins tailstanding then quickly shut it off and unscrewed the head and pulled the M61LL out to see how hot it was. No heat externally was detectable by hand at all. Room Temp. This was on 2x18650s so plenty of voltage and output was 100%. You dont even need to wrap these M61Ls . Amazing the difference between the M61 and M61L . The pluses of the M61L far outweigh the slightly brighter ,hotter running ,shorter runtime M61 . My opinion only :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
FWIW, I have ran a M60WL and a M60WLF in G2's (all plastic) since I bought them. I have run them for 45 min to an hour at a time with no ill effects. Great lights. :)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The module is completely encased in the aluminum P60 interface, and the heat will be conducted into the aluminum body of the light with this setup.
You could run any of Malkoff's drop-ins with that setup. You will feel it when the light gets hot.

It seems like you guys are coming up with new lego combos almost daily around here!

Nice light man.