Where to buy SureFire M6 in Canada ??

FM

Newly Enlightened
Any Canadians here who purchased a SureFire M6 online ?
I'm in Ontario and need some recommendations.

The exchange rate is pretty good now so I thought about BrightGuy.

The one thing I don't like though is getting hosed by greedy shippers(like UPS) on broker fees. I shouldn't have to pay you a fortune on top of the shipping fee for doing your job. USPS is nice because the charge is only $5 by Canada Post.

Any ideas ? Most places seem to use UPS and they are the most costly.

Also, does anyone know if SureFire will ship their batteries to Canada ? There was a big stink about that by local distributors when the price dropped.

Thanks !

FM

Azreal911

Enlightened
uhhh if i where you i would be weary of using UPS! i bought a 300 dollar watch from them and they charged me almost 100 dollars in taxes and brokerage fees. I will never use ups for crossborder stuff again. i've had better luck with usps and fedex all they did was make me pay the appropriate taxes nothing else. Brightguy will ONLY ship ups i asked him before and he won't do it any other way. and i live in ontario too. I bought a 15 dollar streamlight 3N model off him and the whole thing ended up being 30 dollars after i received it! you should try the other dealers on this board. I had a much much better experience with meridian tactical. he sent it over usps and i ended up just paying taxes when i got it.

Heck

Enlightened
Yeah, I once ordered $15 worth of merchandise, shipped UPS and ended up paying about $30 total too......crazy....Shipping USPS or Fed Ex is much better. However you'll still get raped with custom fees, especially with the price of a SF M6.

What I usually do is I get them shipped to the US and then pick them up myself since I'm close to the border (Montreal) or get someone in the States to redirect it to me so it's no longer a "merchandise".....

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Can somebody explain what happened to NAFTA? I thought that was supposed to get rid of all these customs fees, etc? What am I missing?

Catman10

Enlightened
It's the brokerage fees, not duties that people are mainly speaking of. All that customs collects is GST for the item. USPS will also have a 5$ flat brokerage handling fee.

FM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Azreal911 said:
uhhh if i where you i would be weary of using UPS! i bought a 300 dollar watch from them and they charged me almost 100 dollars in taxes and brokerage fees. I will never use ups for crossborder stuff again. i've had better luck with usps and fedex all they did was make me pay the appropriate taxes nothing else. Brightguy will ONLY ship ups i asked him before and he won't do it any other way. and i live in ontario too. I bought a 15 dollar streamlight 3N model off him and the whole thing ended up being 30 dollars after i received it! you should try the other dealers on this board. I had a much much better experience with meridian tactical. he sent it over usps and i ended up just paying taxes when i got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice !

I hadn't looked at Meridian before, so I did that today and ordered the M6 and a couple of G2s using FedEx. There are a lot of shipping options with them. Its nice to have a choice !

I was going to go with USPS, but given the cost of the M6 I want a tracking number.

Oh, and the M6 was $30+ cheaper than BrightGuy. So no broker fees and a savings..works for me !

FM

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM, you made a good choice with meridian tactical; i've dealt with chris before and he's great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

scuba

Enlightened
Hi FM,

You might want to try here:

http://rnicholls.flattext.com/online_en.html

They have many more Surefires and Streamlight in store than what's on their website and they might have a dealer near you. I know that the one in Montréal is quite good.

Again, don't trust what's on the website...they might even have a M6 in store!

Good luck,

A.

FM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
scuba said:
Hi FM,

You might want to try here:

http://rnicholls.flattext.com/online_en.html

They have many more Surefires and Streamlight in store than what's on their website and they might have a dealer near you. I know that the one in Montréal is quite good.

Again, don't trust what's on the website...they might even have a M6 in store!

Good luck,

A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi scuba.

Yup, I've been to rnicholls before in Ottawa. Last time I checked they wanted ~$600.00 for the M6 with a minimum wait time of 45 days if it wasn't in stock.

So I'm definitely saving money and time by going the US route. I have no complaints(other than cost) about rnicholls. I got my C3+HOLA from them.

What is weird though is that last time I checked(8 months ago I think), they didn't sell SureFire batteries even though they are an official SureFire distributor.

In fact, they only wanted to sell me Duracell ones at $4.95 each even when I told them about the SureFire price of $15 USD per dozen. Needless to say I ordered 6 dozen from the US and it cost me less than half what rnicholls wanted ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scuba

Enlightened
Kind of weird...I bought surefire batteries at the one in Montreal although I can't remember how much I paid for them.
I also got a E2e there for $115can wich is pretty expensive but maybe not that bad considering the exchange rates and the saving on the shipping and customs. Maybe I'll go the US route next time...

Azreal911

Enlightened
i've checked out rnicholls before also they are pretty expensive i find over the US route. awhile ago i checked for the G2 after taxes it was almost going for $90 CDN!!! and here online it's like less than half the price! and their hours are pretty lousy if you want to browse they open only mon-fri and from 9-5pm. Those the the hours i'm at work! I find it's still better to get your ultra high end light fix from the states in the end. only good thing for here is to buy cheapie lights to mod for fun.