Apples vs Oranges, or Fenix vs ...

sincity

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the Fenix LD10. Online prices have it hovering in the +/- $50.00 range.

Similar lights from Olight, and ITP are in the $25 - $35 range...

So, all things considered, is the Fenix a higher quality light than say a JetBeam BA10, or an ITP A2 EOS, or ???

still a little gun shy (see my post about losing lights) about carrying expensive (to me) lights...

Found a Nebo at a local hardware store for $10.00 - bought it, but, while it performs as expected (lights up when you turn it on)
I'm still not certain if I want to go with the ultra inexpensive lights right now.

So, opinions needed - should I spend a little more on a Fenix, or save $10-$25 and get one of the other lights?

thanks!

weez82

Enlightened
First let us know what you need http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Flashlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated!!

Second read up on lights http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?19-Flashlight-Reviews

Third go to youtube and check out goingprepared's page. He will show you the UI and outdoor beam shots

As for the LD10, I have one and like it very much. But I just got a 4Sevens Quark X 123 and like it more than the LD10. Both have very good build quality and a UI I like but the Quark has a real low mode and the LD10's low mode it almost too bright for what I need.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
It's been a long time since I bought a Fenix light. I got into the LD2-CE craze and bought a few plus a few smaller ones. They are pretty good lights and AFAIK Olight, Jetbeam and other lights are on par with Fenix lights when it comes to quality. I sort of recall Jetbeam coming around at or before Fenix lights. Wish I still had my Dexlight and Rexlight from those times.
I guess its up to you depending on what features you are looking for.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
sincity, maybe give some thought how you lose your lights. Do they fall out of your pocket ? Maybe an orange flashlight would be more noticeable ? I put my name and phone number on my lights.

AaronG

Enlightened
I have a LD10 R4 and I'm quite happy with it. The most common complaint is that the low could be lower. Although they've improved the mode spacing from the one I have. The regulation and efficiency are great. Overall it's a solid light.

Most lights recommended on CPF are so far beyond the stuff at department stores that they really shouldn't be labelled as the same type of device! The initial output is usually higher, but the real difference is things like regulation and brightness settings over the life of the cells. Cheap lights are bright for the first ten minutes and then drastically drop from there.

stay away from el cheapo 3 AAA lights.

kreisler

Banned
sincity, maybe the first most important decision is the battery size choice. from then on, the must-have design features (e.g. a reversable clip, or perfect regulation). A month ago when i got interested in buying 1 allround torch (not necessarily an EDC!), i read amazon reviews only. and there, the Fenix LD20 and LD10 are the best-selling items, you're right.
( i ordered the LD20 from amazon, but didnt like it so i returned it. for that money it had to be something better! )

The LD10 (and LD20) are dinosaurs. LED and built quality has advanced immensely since then. Good luck with the purchase decision! (i ended up with some Romisen, Xeno, Klarus, EagleTac, etc with all sorts of battery types: AA, AAA, 18650/2x CR123)

Do the amazon order. If you dont like the LD10 (for its money), return it.

NightKids

Enlightened
I have a Fenix LD10 and I love it! It's really bright for 1xAA and quality is excellent too....

You won't regret it trust me...

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
If it's possible that you are laying down your lights and walking away from them,
AND, if you happen to be using your lights for a fair amount of stationary work, then consider something like the Zebralight H51.

You could clip the H51 to your shirt and angle it at what you are working on, and you should be able to also tie a lanyard through the H51's clip, and hang the lanyard over your neck. This is kind of a double protection from laying it down and walking away from it.

On the other hand, I really like my Fenix LD10 R4. It still appears to have some of the best throw, for a 1AA NiMH reflector. And it's built well and has a sturdy clip.

______
Steve

dheim

Newly Enlightened
if you have the tendency to lose your flashlights i can suggest a fenix tk70. hard not to notice it... :)