Side-Standing: the New Tail-Standing

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened
Ever since flashlights started to get bright, I started to demand that they tail-stand -- if they wanted to seal the deal for reception of all of my heart's affection, that is. Upon waking up in a half-dazed phase, however, it occurred to me that I've never met a flashlight that couldn't side-stand, and upon further analysis I had to ask myself, "Is a flashlight's ability to shine on the ceiling really all that superior to its ability to shine on the wall?" I surprised myself because I knew I had asked myself the same question before and come to a different conclusion. For some reason, though, this time I had to say "No. It's really not all that superior." Surely you'll be able to think of some scenarios in which tail-standing presents a slightly more convenient or "Wow!"-response-inducing case, but from a practical standpoint (that same standpoint that prompts some of you to think tint and construction trump output and number-of-functions), can't we just go ahead and make it official that side-standing is the new tail-standing?

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm.. No.

Some of my lights are bright enough to light a room extremely well while tail-standing. If you had it, say, on the kitchen bench, pointed at the wall, not only would it not light the room very well, the hotspot on the wall would be blindingly bright, and at eye level.

Having the hotspot on the ceiling means no one gets blinded.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
'Is a flashlight's ability to shine on the ceiling really all that superior to its ability to shine on the wall?'

I'd have to say yes, it is. Unless you have white walls as well, and even then a ceiling bounce gives you more uniform light distribution. And more light in total, in an impromptu test against a light green wall.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find all lights tailstand. I usually put my lights in cups to tailstand them. It's hard for them to fall over when you bump the table that way.

purelite

Enlightened
Yeah I have tried the side method and have used it when I didnt have a stable platform for the light to tailstand. I have to also pie on you dude and say the ceiling bounce method is superior for all the mentioned reasons. It does work ok but not optimum. But if it works for you then go for it!!!!!!

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
My Zebra H31Fw side-stands very nicely! :D (Ducks and runs!)

-jk

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
I wish all lights had 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 screw ports for using with small tabletop tripods

now that would be ultimately useful.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
yeah.. i second on the aimable side standing light.. it could be even fixed at something between 30-50degrees. (45 makes sense but didnt want to hinder things with tight tolerance)

i have been secretly (and not so silently) been hoping someone would offer a stand on their lights. (a pocket clip or something like diffuser that could be adjusted so that it would be a side stand) all in one package. the tripod mounting spot would be cool too. but i rather have the option to have it aim at something in angle by "built" in setup. :)

i for one.. dont need a tailstanding light that often..i tend to be able to knock them down way too often so they end up lieing down anyways. (or i use a support like a cup or roll of tape.. and then the light dont have to be tailstanding version anymore) i do often carry atleast one light that CAN tailstand anyways.. one that is twisty and one that is tactical button version. :) i like versatility. one for each task.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go for tail standing but have used a light on its side many times. Often works fine depending on the situation. If the light rolls either put it in some putty or use a piece of tape to secure it.

I love homemade diffusers for spreading light. The cost is right for using empty aspirin bottles, bottle caps, etc.

If you want to try tail standing a light that always wants to fall over try using an empty tube from a roll of toilet paper or a cut down one from a roll of paper towels. If it's still too heavy try some molding clay or putty in the bottom of the tube.

purelite

Enlightened
The problem with that is you have to carry your papertowel tube with playdoh stuck to the bottom around with you everywhere in addition to the light . Or make one for every room you occupy !!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone is looking for a tail standing/side standing light to use as their EDC then they probably have considered that style of design in the first place.

I wouldn't buy a lantern for my EDC unless I wanted to set it down regularly, just as I wouldn't buy a light with a rounded tailcap/switch or a light without a clip or some antiroll device if I meant to never let it stand on its own.

My suggestion was for a quick and dirty fix and not as a primary EDC.

However, a really easy fix that's EDC-able would be to just use some tape to make a "bump" on the side of the light to let it sit without rolling.

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Ever since flashlights started to get bright, I started to demand that they tail-stand -- if they wanted to seal the deal for reception of all of my heart's affection, that is. Upon waking up in a half-dazed phase, however, it occurred to me that I've never met a flashlight that couldn't side-stand, and upon further analysis I had to ask myself, "Is a flashlight's ability to shine on the ceiling really all that superior to its ability to shine on the wall?" I surprised myself because I knew I had asked myself the same question before and come to a different conclusion. For some reason, though, this time I had to say "No. It's really not all that superior." Surely you'll be able to think of some scenarios in which tail-standing presents a slightly more convenient or "Wow!"-response-inducing case, but from a practical standpoint (that same standpoint that prompts some of you to think tint and construction trump output and number-of-functions), can't we just go ahead and make it official that side-standing is the new tail-standing?
If needing to aim it at something was a requirement, I think a headlight would have been a better buy.
I wish all lights had 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 screw ports for using with small tabletop tripods now that would be ultimately useful.
I would like a tripod mount too! Something like a bike light mount that could be put on any set of tripod legs like a regular tripod head would be very useful. Any ideas?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get a block of material, drill a hole in it, and then epoxy in a threaded tripod mount? A cheap-o fix and attaching the light would be easy to do with velcro or tape.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really like tailstanding because the light gets in your eyes a lot, but it does light a radius in both directions better than side-standing in general. When reading, I strongly prefer side-standing and aiming at a wall behind me. My night stand light is a TK45 (the KING of side-standers AND taild standers) aimed at the wall, which pretty much lights up the room no problem... actually it's brighter than my bedroom lamps even on the side.

I also like head standing my lights (huh?). Yep... I got a coffee table with a transparent glass top :) Gives a very different type of light.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like this?
DSC01096.jpg

DSC01094-1.jpg

I use this set up at the cabin for playing cards, or Illuminating the dining table. Our ceilings in the cabin , I would guess are 20 feet high & cedar, so not much ceiling bounce.
Also often set it up on the deck railing if we are doing something in the yard at night.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lights used for certain purposes don't need to tailstand. How many people worry about tailstanding on a headlamp? A light I use to work on my car tailstanding is not a concern at all because nobody has a white inside of their hood or turns their car upside down to reflect off the ceiling to work on the bottom side of it or reflects off the headliner to work under the dash. Having lights that tailstand and work well to do just that is a good thing, but lights you use heavily for special duty it is best to get them the most useful for those tasks and put tailstanding at the bottom of requirements when purchasing them.
In other words, multiple lights is a good thing so you can have preferred tailstanding lights to do just that task very well.

fyrstormer

Banned
Umm.. No.

Some of my lights are bright enough to light a room extremely well while tail-standing. If you had it, say, on the kitchen bench, pointed at the wall, not only would it not light the room very well, the hotspot on the wall would be blindingly bright, and at eye level.

Having the hotspot on the ceiling means no one gets blinded.
+1

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
I designed this a few months ago, I think it would be cool for a manufacturer to try out. It would allow tailstanding (if and when you want it), plus the ability to mount 90 degrees on a tripod. All 4 sides of the tail tube would be flat, to allow one side threaded for a tripod mount, the opposite side threaded for a removable pocket clip, and the other 2 sides would have lanyard holes. It would also make the light anti-roll:

Flashlight-Tail-Idea.jpg

Last edited: