Designing Lights using 4 X D Nimh side by side?

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this was discussed before: This concerns lights like Fenix TK60 and TK70, great flashlights using D Nimh cells. However, the D cells are stacked on top of each other, resulting in a long stick like flashlight. IMO, that's bulky and awkward to hold.

Wondering if Fenix and other manufacturers would design a 4D light with the cells side by side (i.e similar to a lantern flashlight style). It's "fatter" but the battery depth is only 1 D long, resulting in a short body. For example, triple XML lights like the TK70 already have a large head, whose diameter would be close to 4 D cells side by side. Stick in a handle and you'll have a more portable sized light which is easier to carry.

Comments?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteShow,

I would like that. The typhical 4D lantern style is much more comfortable to hold with the handle than a thick barrel. Also it stands stable.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I'm waiting for this aswell. Long torches like the TK70 and that led lenser thing just look ridiculous, I think they probably make them like that for simplicity and to keep costs down.

The manufacturers could use a battery holder like those in lanterns then we could remove it and use 1 6volt SLA battery instead if we so desired.

Last edited:

xul

Enlightened
If you want the cells electrically in parallel:
you'd need a current sharing circuit to compensate for the varying internal resistance of each cell as it discharges.
This would be a resistor in series with each cell of value >5x the reasonably expected max value of Rint of each cell.
Maybe there is an electronic way of doing this.

Otherwise it's just a mechanical container problem.
http://www.hosfelt.com/contents/en-us/d413.html

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boring a tube = cheap. Machining a case (if the back unscrews to change barriers it still needs a big round hole) with access to batteries and all is hard.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love a light like that. You wouldn't have to have a metal housing for the batteries, you could use some high grade moulded plastic for the batteries and an attached metal housing for the LEDs.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Machining a case would be unnecesary, the head could be machined the usual way then the body would be a shape stamped out of aluminium sheet with ridges pressed into it for ridgidity and bent into a square tube then welded (or even folded, whatever would be faster) shut. maybe a square made from thicker aluminium would need to be inserted in the end to keep it from bending, I don't know. The battery cover would just be stamped out of aluminium sheet and pressed into the right shape, it could be held on with two toggle catches.

The handle would be cast out of aluminium and screwed onto the body.

Inside there'd be one of these http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/5275-holder-battery-4-d-lantern-repl-ba4d-s.html, maybe the factory could make their own higher quality ones, kinda like the sunwayman battery holders.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
XML fit for the cabin or garage. 4D in a cube, I'd buy it plastic everything except the reflector, heat sync and glass.
Only down side is it'd have to be mass produced to get the price down unless you got a 3d printer :naughty: hmmm

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Machining a case would be unnecesary, the head could be machined the usual way then the body would be a shape stamped out of aluminium sheet with ridges pressed into it for ridgidity and bent into a square tube then welded (or even folded, whatever would be faster) shut. maybe a square made from thicker aluminium would need to be inserted in the end to keep it from bending, I don't know. The battery cover would just be stamped out of aluminium sheet and pressed into the right shape, it could be held on with two toggle catches.

The handle would be cast out of aluminium and screwed onto the body.

Inside there'd be one of these http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/5275-holder-battery-4-d-lantern-repl-ba4d-s.html, maybe the factory could make their own higher quality ones, kinda like the sunwayman battery holders.

Even better than what I was thinking :thumbsup:

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the all interesting comments! There are indeed many different ways to manufacture a side by side 4XD LED flashlight.

My ideal design would be similar to the Zebralight Q50 (especially the battery compartment), but instead of 4AA, it would be scaled up to fit 4D, and with the triple XML head similar to the Fenix TK70 - all in one body. Maybe the head could be squared off, or the body rounded off, so that the entire light has a consistent shape (either squarish or cylindrical). Also, the switch would be build into the front part of the metal handle. I hope some flashlight manufacturers are reading this.