Mini Mag Cut Down 1AA Mod (warning: pic heavy)

moderator007

Enlightened
I have seen several of these mods here on CPF. So I thought I try one sense A customer requested one for his wife.
Runs off of a single AA battery. Didn't really want to go the li-ion route here for safety purposes.
The driver came from DX about two years ago and they don't sell them anymore, sku #4451.
It draws about 800ma from the batteries so i would guess around 350ma to the led. Seems alot brighter than 350ma though. Driver could be changed easy enough for a li-ion. May build one latter to run on li-ions. The brighter it gets the less run time. I just have never felt like a small light should run for only 30 minutes to be usefull in everyday carry. Modes would help with this problem but at lower light levels. So this driver should allow the light to be usefull for a long time at its full brightness and some dimmer run time as the battery die's. The led is a shiningbeam 14mm XP-G R5 1A tint. Duracell AA battery.

Cut the inside of the head down taking some of the threads (for room) to except the heat sink with the stock reflector.

headcutonlathe.jpg

Better pic

1headcutdown.jpg

Barrel threads shortened to the right length so the end of the barrel contacts the driver when screwed down. If I had left the threads stock length then when you screwed the barrel down the seal would show and serve no purpose.

2barrelcutdown.jpg

Threads on the end angle cut slightly to allow easier threading engagement.

3barrelthreadscloseup.jpg

Tail cap end. Barrel cut and threads applied with the tail cap seal recess.

4Tailcaprethreaded.jpg

Heat sink (pill) machined and polished to a high shine. CK battery in the back ground to show the lapping.

5pillpolished.jpg

Lapping done on the XP-G R5 14mm pcb.

6ledpcbpolished.jpg

Heat sink and pcb together.

7pillwithledpcb.jpg

Cut a small delrin insert to fit into the pill so that the driver would not conduct current threw the pill, isolating it. Cut a small recess in the delrin to hold the driver. Driver and delrin are a press fit.

8pillwithdelrin.jpg

Driver press fitted in the delrin recess.

9driverindelrin.jpg

Reflector had to be cut down slightly to adjust focus for the XP-G. Stock reflector on the right.

10reflectorcomparison.jpg

Two year old driver from DX. With silicone wire added.

11driver.jpg

Led glued down to the pill with artic silver thermal epoxy and centered.

12pillwithledinstalled.jpg

Artic silver thermal paste added around the head for heat transfer from the pill.

13headwitharticsilver.jpg

Pill installed with driver and led.

14headpillinstalled.jpg

Completely assembled finally.

15assembled.jpg

Beam shot at two feet. Not the best I ever seen but works great for a general purpose light.

16beamshot.jpg

Mini mag with a AA on the left and ITP A3 with a AAA on the right. Alot of people own a ITP A3. So what better to compare it to. Notice the spill from the mini takes over the spill from the ITP A3.

17minivsitpA3.jpg

The shorty Mini.

18layingdown.jpg

Standing up right.

19standingup1.jpg

For some reason I can't get good pic's without the color being some what off. The Mini is a deep purple. This pic is more of the right color but the pic is a little dark.

20standingup.jpg

Screw the barrel down and the light comes on. The action and the feel of turning the light on is smoother than any light I own. Very smooth engagement. I have built many D maglite's and wanted to do something different so what do you think.:popcorn:

Last edited:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Fantastic looking cut-down mini 007! The polish work on the heat sink and pcb go beyond functionality to being a work of art.

moderator007

Enlightened
Nice job!

And yes, photographing the Mag's purple has always been a challenge for me as well :(

Coming from a great machinist like you Will, I take that as great complement. And thanks for your great complements Quest4fire and datiLED. I do spend a great deal of time making sure everthing fits just right. When done it's something I can be proud of.

I would like to thank all the people like Will who are constantly posting builds and mods. It is a very time consuming process. Taking clear pics,editing the pics, resizing the pics for CPF, uploading the pics to a photo host, keeping them in order, then upload to CPF and finally the write up with the pics. Special thanks to all the modders who post here.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

moderator007

Enlightened
Well, I thought I would do something different again. So I had a old silver mini mag laying around that had rode in my truck for about 3 years. So I cut it down to a 1AA shorty. It was pretty bad beat up. So I thought I would get my Caustic soda, battery acid and car battery charger out and give it a new coat of anodizing. So here it is all done.

DSC00676.jpg

Rit clothing dye calls this Sunshine Orange. This is a pic with a black 2AA that I done a little finning on and de-anodized the tail cap. It has the same XPG R5 and heatsink. This time I used DX driver 25505. Seemed more suitable for 2AA's. It is quite a bit brighter than the 1AA.

DSC00675.jpg

Another pic.

DSC00694.jpg

This is a shot showing the XPG R5's in their new home. I also sprayed the reflector in the Sunshine Orange mini with polyurethane spray paint. If you look close you can see that I Sprayed it in a splatter pattern for a orange pill effect. Works quite nicely in smoothing the beam out.

DSC00700.jpg

Shot with a dime for size comparison.

DSC00708.jpg

Turned out pretty well I thought. Wish I had took a before and after shot. It was in pretty bad shape before. Took about a 2 hours worth of sanding with a 1000 grit sand paper and polishing to remove the dings after I had de-anodized it with the caustic soda.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look very cool :)

I've had similar thoughts, but was thinking 14500 and a tail clicky with a fixed head.

Latest posts