What happened to Surefire's rechargeable line of lights?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard anything lately? They were supposed to come out with a new line of lights to replace the old line of rechargeables. It was deemed likely they would be based on some type of li-ion chemistry. Perhaps something they will show off at the Shot Show? Anybody heard anything lately? It would be pretty cool to have actual Surefire brand lithium rechargeable cells.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be pretty cool to have actual Surefire brand lithium rechargeable cells.

After years of folks here telling me why SF would never use rechargeables (again), they announced that they were 'reinventing' the rechargeable. Al indicates that the batteries are custom editions that only fit SF lights, bespoke as they say in the UK, you have to get them from SF and I speculate that the 2xRCR123 equivalent will cost maybe $80.

I've run my SF UB3T on AW 17500's since I got it and they work fine. Maybe SF is running into problems with in the light charging or perhaps the market for $600 police duty lights is not what it used to be with the economic downturn. Anyway, it's been close to a year since these new rechargeables were in the SF catalog, is this just yet another case of SF vaporware? :confused: We've been down this road before...

Size15's

Flashaholic
If SureFire is working to release their SS2011 proposed new line of rechargeable flashlights, they could be on a path of releasing one at a time in which case it'll to slotted into production as and when demand for existing products, or after higher priority new products allow.

Alternatively SureFire may wish to release several of their proposed new lineup at once, in which case SS2012 announcement and release makes sense.

Of course SureFire haven't been able to release all the new products it proposed at SHOT shows over the years. And sometimes releases other new products instead 'out of the blue'.

I hope SureFire can deliver their aspirations. I want 4FTC!