Does it exist??? My perfect EDC

mrbickelsworth

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have finally narrowed down what I would consider a perfect EDC light, but I haven't been able to find one that fits my criteria. So, I'm posting this hoping that someone can either point me towards a light that I haven't yet considered or someone could point me toward someone who could have my light custom built/modded.

So here is what I am looking for:

AAA light (Alkaline, Lion primary, and NiMH)
SS or Ti body
~80mm in length
3 modes: Low (~1 L), Med (~30 L), and High (100 L)
Low is accessed by Head Twist, and H-M accessed by Tail Switch
Pocket Clip
Must tail stand
Neutral tint

The closest I have been able to find to this setup is a Peak Eiger. However, I'm hesitant for a few reasons. It's a bit longer than I'd like with a momentary switch, the switch is momentary only, and I'd prefer dedicated modes rather than infinite variability. I've also read that QTC can be a bit finicky in smaller lights like the Eiger.

Right now my options are buy the Eiger and be happy with it, hoping that a closer version of my ideal EDC is someday produced, or pay the extra to have my ideal EDC built by a custom maker/modder. What do you all think?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Except for your "non-standard" type of UI (which is a bit complex, especially for a tiny pocket torch), I think that the LF2XT (out of production) and the Univex Ti AAA (still available, I believe), would both come close to meeting your listed requirements....

mrbickelsworth

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Archimedes.

I've looked into the LF2XT, and I'd love to get my hands on one. The UI isn't ideal, but just the fact that it's so customizable would compensate. I've also checked out the Univex, and its UI just doesn't work for me. I might consider it if it were L-H-M or L-M-H, but to preserve night vision low has to come first.

The reason I want the UI in my first post is so that I don't have to cycle through all modes just to reach High or Medium. If I'm in a position where I need a lot of light, most likely I'll want it quickly, thus the tail switch. Low, on the other hand, is easily accessible but wouldn't need to be instantaneous, therefore the twisty. I figured that since the Eiger comes close, a UI like what I've described wouldn't be impossible.

archimedes

Flashaholic
OK, how about the IlluminaTi? I think those are now back in production....

EDIT: With regard to your desire for "instant access" UI to both low and max, I think you may need to consider larger lights for this. Examples include ZebraLight or NiteCore (clicky shortcuts), HDS (programmable clicky), or Klarus (dual button tail switch).

Last edited:

mrbickelsworth

Newly Enlightened
With regard to your desire for "instant access" UI to both low and max, I think you may need to consider larger lights for this. Examples include ZebraLight or NiteCore (clicky shortcuts), HDS (programmable clicky), or Klarus (dual button tail switch).

You're absolutely right, I already own a ZL SC31 and quite like it. It's just bigger than I would comfortably carry, and I think the two different switches would be ideal. Still, I don't know anything about putting a light together, so maybe it's more complicated than I thought to build this setup. I had hoped that since the Eiger was relatively close, it wouldn't be too difficult.

mrbickelsworth

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Latest posts