Who out there has a favorite light that isn't the fanciest or most expensive?

nickdolin

Newly Enlightened
Not that I have tons of lights nor are any super expensive... perhaps the most $$$ was my M1X at I think 120-130ish... but when reaching for a light (when I don't have my E05 handy) I reach for a cheapy (relative term but $15) Romisen from Shiningbeam. I guess I just love the 1XAA form factor, simple 1 mode, simple on-off, useful beam with enough throw for walking around the yard and a bright enough spill to be useful up close, and a great tint (5C I believe). Also the shape of the light conforms to my smaller hands better than even some of my 2X123 lights. I find 1x123 lights too short for me. Overall... that light isn't the newest, nowhere near the brighest, but the simplicity of a need to work light...good beam pattern and tint....and a shape that fits my hand well makes it my go-to light most of the time.

Anyone else reach for a light that isn't their brightest/neatest in their collection?

IMG_0966.jpg

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot of lights like that. An Ultrafire BJ08A (single mode single AA) that I've put a forward clicky in and diffusion film behind the front glass and a lightly tinted filter as well. It's just a cylindrical tube (23mm) which fits the pocket (and hand) well and is quite easy to use since it has a momentary switch.

I also have an Ultrafire 602c (single AAA single mode twisty) in my car behind the driver's side armrest which I've diffused as well.

For basic lights like that there is no point (IMO) for them to be excessively expensive.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it would be the Streamlight Microstream. For about fifteen dollars, it is a fantastic bargain. Not the brightest or fanciest AAA light, but simple and cheap.

wollie88

Newly Enlightened
For me its a Romisen Rc-g2 that i modded. I thought it had to little flood, so i put in a ssc p4 and fitted a multi-mode 700mA driver to increase output.
This thing is always in my bag and has more than enough light for just about any application i use it for.
Just for fun i was thinking of putting an XML in there :devil:

davecroft

Enlightened
Fenix E05. Small, reliable, easy to carry whatever I'm wearing, no fussy modes to worry about. Enough light 95% of the time and a decent runtime. Best of all, £12!

I'm buying some more as gifts this Christmas. Non-flashaholics love them too!

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have two that fit this category. Shiningbeam S-mini and iTP E0S A3. I spent less than $50 total to get both of them yet they are both quality flashlight which are easy to carry and use. Not a problem to edc both of them and on or the other will pretty much fill any need I'm likely to come up against on almost all situations.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it would be my T5 neutral Xeno E03. It's a great little light and is a real pocket rocket on a 14500. I keep a neutral Q-mini AA on my keychain, but for general use when I'm out and about, like a night walk, taking my wife's poodle out at night for his potty break, etc., the E03 is a go-to light for me.

WDR65

Enlightened
On occasion I still grab the old Dorcy AAA. A simple 5mm led that runs forever and puts out just enough light to navigate around the house in near total darkness. My E01 overwhelms its output but its still an old $5 favorite that I wish I owned a few more of.

Racer

Enlightened
I seem to find myself sometimes reaching for this one, even though it's like carying a wrench around in my pocket because it's so heavy. And it's the current "bounce down the driveway" champion out of all my collection. Multiple drops on concrete; a couple of them > 4 feet. It's a great light for being so cheap.

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...r5-3modes-memory-led-flashlight-cr123a-p-7042

And yeah, I also love that little Olight I3.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Well recently I've been grabbing a cheap 6 volt lantern even though I have several good LED torches, there's just something I like about that mishapen yellow beam. Me thinks my next LED light will be a warm one

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I have a 3 Trustfire 150 lumen AAA lights that do very well that I got from ..... Costco! Came in a three pack and bought them for Hurricaine season for around $15. They have done really well and have great color. Took one and put it on my shotgun and it is still holding up. Tough to beat..

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is like asking me to pick my absolute favorite.... Well, in the end, I do prefer my Zebra H51C, my Quark 123 tactical neutral, my PD20 or one of my Mini's over anything else when I just need a light or my E0 in the middle of the night.

PerttiK

Enlightened
Not my favourite but most used light is an old noname 3 x 5mm led with 2 AA's.
Stands right here on my table where I do my surfing and almost all other of my daily activities.
Usefull for looking inside battery tubes of my better lights and such small task that are done here on the table.
I don't dare to take it outside because it doesn't have a single o-ring or any any other gaskets and even switch boot has worn through.
But hey... It has a forward clicky.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
I like all my cheapest lights...probably most the BC10 by JetBeam then the E03

Racer

Enlightened
I like all my cheapest lights...probably most the BC10 by JetBeam

I've been meaning to buy the BC10. But I have the BA10 and it's a marvel of engineering. Well, other than the clip. This one and the I3 are going to be what I give my non-flashaholic friends and family.

The BC10 can use 16340's, right?

CMAG

Enlightened
My favorite's are rather expensive, but a few cheaper ones I like are my old 2c mag lite, Nebo, and Fenix E15

richpalm

Banned
I always seem to go for my 2C Mag that I modded with a neutral XM-L, 7135 driver and an OP reflector from an Ultrafire C8. Excellent reflector BTW.

Rich

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
My favorite EDC light is the Jetbeam BA10, my favorite thing about it is the stupid simple UI, so easy a caveman could figure it out. I might possibly try the BC10 the next time I place an order from Going Gear, just not sure if I want to bother with 123a's for one light.