Maglite XL50 beam

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I've been watching videos on the Maglite XL50 and reading comments on this forum and from what I can gather the focus isn't very useable. I'm curious what the beam is like when the head is fully tightened? Is it a good mix of spot and throw or is it all throw?

jondotcom

Enlightened
I've been watching videos on the Maglite XL50 and reading comments on this forum and from what I can gather the focus isn't very useable. I'm curious what the beam is like when the head is fully tightened? Is it a good mix of spot and throw or is it all throw?

Mostly throw and the focus was useless unless you like a blurry, throwy beam. Mine went straight out of the package to ebay after seeing the beam, as the focus did not meet my expectations.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a beamshot (click to enlarge):

It's a good mix of spot and throw since the hotspot is quite wide (XL200 is even floodier if that's what you're looking for). The beam is good with the head all the way on, but loosen it, and you'll quickly get a donut hole. The only time I ever use the focus on a Maglite is when the hotspot is too blinding.

Latest posts