Looking for a recommendations for an LED flashlight. details inside

croupier

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, new candlepowerforum member here. I'm in the market for a $50ish LED flashlight for both general home use and for camping/backpacking. I already have a headlamp which i use (tikka xp) but i'm looking to have a regular flashlight as well when i don't want to look like a dork. I would be greatly appreciative of your suggestions and input. Here's my answers to the following questions:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Around $50

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

either:
_x__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

AA or 2xAA

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

_x__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
_x__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

nice to have: ____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x__30-50 yards/meters (check out a noise while camping)
nice to have: ____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

I will be using this while backpacking and will need it to have a long runtime (12 hours+) on a low-ish setting. On higher output modes the battery life isn't as important as I'll have extra batteries handy.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_x__I don't care.
_x__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want at least two light levels (high/low). More might be nice for battery usage optimization.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

Thanks in advance!

joe1512

Enlightened
The good news is that there are tons of lights that will meet your modest requirements.

I recommend you check the sticky and read review/roundup of 2xAA lights. You can easily find them ranging from 10 dollar ultrafire/trustfire, to middle of the road 50 dollar ones for greater reliability.

Ok, so it is out of date: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nix-Nitecore-Olight-ITP-Eagletac-Jetbeam-Mag-...

You may have to rely on some of the others to help you out. I dont have any 2xAAs. Sorry!

PerttiK

Enlightened
Check out Jetbeam BA20, nice usable low mode with over a day of runtime, around $40.
And Fenix E21, twice as bright on low as the first candidate but only runs for about 9 hours to 50% brightness, a few $ cheaper than BA20.
Neither comes with holster and E21 doesn't even come with a clip.
E21 has better throw but I'd think BA20 goes nicely 50 yards with sheer lumens.

And :welcome:

Chidwack

Enlightened
You do indeed have plenty to choose from for under $50. Just a few that I have experience with.

Jetbeam BA20
Klarus P2A
Xeno E03
My favorite of these three is the Klarus.

Some others you might want to look at.

Shiningbeam I-mini
Shiningbeam Sparks Cree XP-G R5
ITP SA2 Eluma Cree XP-G R5 Tactical Led Flashlight
Jetbeam BA10

Lots more to choose from. All of these are less than $40. Good luck and have fun.