Where to get a JetBeam PA40 with SMO reflector?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I heard goinggear has the SMO reflector on the PA40 but it does not say on the website.
Anyone know? Thanks!

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine from GoingGear it a came with the SMO reflector. YES!
I know it's a fat chance of this bieng answered but I was wondering. Does anyone know the Lux @1 meter readings for the PA40 with an SMO reflector? On selfbuilts test the OP reflector had 7,500 Lux@1Meter. I compared it to my P100A2 R2 which is around the same and I can't tell which is brighter. It seems the PA40 maybe brighter though my mind could not get set in on this.

pblanch

Enlightened
I though someone had debunked the SMO v OP increased throw claims.

I like the OP as I think the beam is a more of smooth anyway. Just order mine PA40w hope it comes with the OP.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Debunked it? The beam is really smooth on my SMO version, can't imagine it being any smoother when compared here. I don't get rings or any artifacts of any sort, beam is just as smooth as any OP. I'd rather have SMO in this case.

I heard of only one instance and that was in the Javelin having more throw on OP then SMO and in selfbuilts reviews I did see SMO giving more throw. Maybe the OP reflectors of today we see now are really reflective. Hopefully someone on here will answer this.

The beam on my PA40 is nice with a bright hotspot. I compared it side by side with my P100A2. the tint seems slightly purple on my PA40. My P100A2 cool white seems like it's a bit on the neutral side. I want to see how it throws next to my P100A2 tonight. I wish I could see the beam profile on the PA40W.

pblanch, when you get your PA40W let me know how you like the tint I read different things.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
Thats why I went with the w version. I have heard the occasional issue but not many (hopefully I will have a win) I hate the lottery unless I win. I was so impressed with my Xenos E03 neutral (even though I hated it at first) that all my "cool" lights all I see is cold blue! (still use them but you know what I mean) I just wish the tail cap was able to swapped out with a good quality forward clicky.

Purple/green tint mean I never buy that "insert brand" again. I accepted it with a E01 as is well documented (still don't use it thought, its the backup of the backups backup!) but when I received my LD10 with its puke green tint I thought no way, I cant even on sell this, I would be very unhappy if someone did it to me and now is relegated to unloved draw and haven't bought a Fenix since.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Not really a fan of green tints either. I sold my Quark 2AA Turbo S2 partly because of it. On my add, one of the reasons for selling it was due to green tint. I like my P100A2 cool white, but then again it does seem a bit on the neutral side as the colors do come out and it has no tint period. Have not had a cool white tint like this since. And I've owned a ton of lights. Can't wait to test this out at night in the old WW2 bunkers.

EDIT: Just compared it outside to my Eagletac P100A2 XP-E R2 which is out of all the AA lights I've owned(non-aspheric) the best 2AA thrower. And I feel comfortable to say the best 2AA thrower period after owning all the most commonly recommended "2AA throwers".

It out threw my P100A2 and my P100A2 is over 7,500Lux. I am curious about the warm version, I look forward to hearing how you feel about it.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

theix

Newly Enlightened
I got a few PA40 SMO non-W version last 2 weeks from a dealer in HK. I just ordered 4 more of PA40W SMO. I should get it by the end of this week.
I did compare the SMO and OP. The SMO one gives tighter and sharp hotspot edge while OP has smoother transition between hotspot and spill.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I got a few PA40 SMO non-W version last 2 weeks from a dealer in HK. I just ordered 4 more of PA40W SMO. I should get it by the end of this week.
I did compare the SMO and OP. The SMO one gives tighter and sharp hotspot edge while OP has smoother transition between hotspot and spill.

Yeah, the beam is really nice on the SMO(comparing my beam to OP pics). It seems the only difference is the hotspot. The Lux is higher. I don't think by much though. I really like this light a whole lot. I tend to limit my lights collection to a few lights and this light made me consider selling my P100A2.

theix

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the beam is really nice on the SMO(comparing my beam to OP pics). It seems the only difference is the hotspot. The Lux is higher. I don't think by much though. I really like this light a whole lot. I tend to limit my lights collection to a few lights and this light made me consider selling my P100A2.

I also like PA40 a lot. Build quality, beam pattern, runtime on AA batteries make PA40 perfect for around-the-house use.

kkeyser

Newly Enlightened
I just received my pa40 from bugoutgear (not sure if it's ok to mention them or not, if not, please delete or let me know) and it had the smo reflector. I would've preferred the op reflector, but it's not that big of a deal. It was the cool pa40.

There was no option on reflector type when I ordered it.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
How does the PA40 with SMO compare to the Fenix LD40? Does it throw further?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
How does the PA40 with SMO compare to the Fenix LD40? Does it throw further?

Just souly opinion here on how I figure it does not throw as far. I don't own the LD40 but I own a Eagletac P100A2. As I said above:

"Just compared it outside to my Eagletac P100A2 XP-E R2 which is out of all the AA lights I've owned(non-aspheric) the best 2AA thrower. And I feel comfortable to say the best 2AA thrower period after owning all the most commonly recommended "2AA throwers".

It out threw my P100A2 and my P100A2 is over 7,500Lux. I am curious about the warm version, I look forward to hearing how you feel about it.
Thanks again. "

So I figure judging from the comparison the PA40 with a SMO with around 8,000+ Lux the hotspot is definitely brighter then my P100A2 @ over 7,500lux just have no way to measure it. Below selfbuilt used the OP PA40 in his testing.

Last edited:

Deal4

Enlightened
It seems you have always really liked throw in a light. Can I be nosy and ask why you picked the PA40 over the LD40 since you normally like the throwers?
I have gone back and forth on the PA40 or the LD40.
I'm pretty tight on cash right now so unless I hear some really good reason of one over the other I guess I'll just wait some more.:whistle:

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at this light as well but nobody seems to have info on the neutral lumen output or beam-shots of the neutral.

where are you guys seeing options for the reflector? most sites don't have an option

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
It seems you have always really liked throw in a light. Can I be nosy and ask why you picked the PA40 over the LD40 since you normally like the throwers?
I have gone back and forth on the PA40 or the LD40.
I'm pretty tight on cash right now so unless I hear some really good reason of one over the other I guess I'll just wait some more.:whistle:

I do urban exploration coupled with hiking. In one instance inside a bunker last week my P100A2 was not cutting it. It could throw, but in an 82,000sq' bunker 85' underground it did not do so well in lighting up the massive rooms and corridors. I bought it to match my P100A2 since I was happy with the throw that had for now but I did consider the LD40. Mainly got the PA40 for these types of uses where I simply needed more light.

I am looking at this light as well but nobody seems to have info on the neutral lumen output or beam-shots of the neutral.

where are you guys seeing options for the reflector? most sites don't have an option

I didn't get an option. I don't think any of us got an option. I ordered my and it had a SMO reflector other have the OP. For and SMO, there are no artifacts. The beams is just as good as the OP though with a tighter/brighter hotspot so it comes down to preference. I am one of the very few that likes SMO reflectors.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
I do urban exploration coupled with hiking. In one instance inside a bunker last week my P100A2 was not cutting it. It could throw, but in an 82,000sq' bunker 85' underground it did not do so well in lighting up the massive rooms and corridors. I bought it to match my P100A2 since I was happy with the throw that had for now but I did consider the LD40. Mainly got the PA40 for these types of uses where I simply needed more light.

I didn't get an option. I don't think any of us got an option. I ordered my and it had a SMO reflector other have the OP. For and SMO, there are no artifacts. The beams is just as good as the OP though with a tighter/brighter hotspot so it comes down to preference. I am one of the very few that likes SMO reflectors.

did you get the neutral or cool? is the neutral 5K and the cool 6.5K? I can't seem to find this either.

If you have the neutral could you post a shot?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
did you get the neutral or cool? is the neutral 5K and the cool 6.5K? I can't seem to find this either.

If you have the neutral could you post a shot?

It's the 6,500k with the SMO. It's very bright at first but when i waited for the thermal regulation to kick in the light became much less bright. Still bright but i need to break the habbit of judging lights at the first time switched on. I still want brighter. I miss my TK45 i admit but it's still really bright compared to my main light the P100A2.

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
I found this on lightjunction:

"Cree's Neutral White LED features improved color rendition with a color temperature of 4000K. This improves objects definition and detail. It also achieves greater illumination distance. Neutral White LED does not change the original color of the object. According to practice and research, although Neutral White light is not as bright as Cold White light, it possesses the best illumination effect for outdoor activities."

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
It's the 6,500k with the SMO. It's very bright at first but when i waited for the thermal regulation to kick in the light became much less bright. Still bright but i need to break the habbit of judging lights at the first time switched on. I still want brighter. I miss my TK45 i admit but it's still really bright compared to my main light the P100A2.

Thanks for the input. This is right in the class I am looking for. the 4 AA is perfect. When I need more light or throw than this I get out the Catapult.

i need something in the middle of my collection. I have an ITP-e50 and a terrlux 220 and this light slots in between those and the catapult I think.

plus for work the 4 AA will be perfect.

I really would like to find some beamshot or something from the neutral so I can get an idea of how it looks.