Novice Fenix PD30 question

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am new here but have spend some time reading threads to try and get familiar with the vast world of flashlights! I have carried a Costco Techlite Lumen master I got as a gift for about a year. I do field work and spend my days inspecting vacant homes, so needless to say I use my flashlight daily. I have been very unimpressed with the battery life and have decided to step it up a notch and get educated.

I have decided to get a Fenix PD30 (either from Amazon, or BatteryJunction.com). I see that it uses 2 x CR123A batteries, and they suggest Lithium 3.0V batteries on the BatteryJunction.com site. My question is, do I have to use Lithium batteries, or can I use something else? I don't know much about the differences in batteries but would imagine it is very similar to importance to good ammo in a firearm. Can I use rechargeable batteries in this light, if so, what would be the best for this particular light? :thinking:

pblanch

Enlightened
I have a PD30 R5 and still love it. Great throw and good runtimes (IMHO). I also got the PD20 as it has similar run times with just the one CR123. Dont be disappointed get them in bulk from the US sites and they are cheap. Here in Australia they are very costly so that was a consideration for me. I researched the use of rechargeable's in mine and came up as a BIG NO. I beleive the newer PD31 and PD32 can use them but saw that many dont like the ringy beam. I considered an upgrade but still think the PD30 is a good choice for what you want. If you wanted rechargables then maybe look at the AA format.

AutoTech

Enlightened
If you're going to be using it a lot go for the fenix pd31 or pd32, both of these can take 18650 batteries. That way you can get yourself some nice quality rechargeable 18650's and charger to use. Have a look in the battery forum on here there's loads of info on them.

Otherwise you'll be spending a fortune on cr123 batteries!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The PD30 only runs on CR123's the PD31 and 32 can take 18650 rechargeables. What kind of runtime are you looking for?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, CR123A format only comes in lithium flavor so, yes, you can only use lithiums. You don't have a choice.

However, you do have the option of using rechargeables. People have reported success running PD30 on 2xRCR123A's, so the driver is beefy enough to handle 7.4V. Someone also mentioned sticking an unprotected 17670 in it and it supposedly works fine. If you get 3.2V RCR123A, usually LiFePO4 chemistry, that will definitely work as well.

Honestly, if you want a broader battery option for your light, consider lights that are capable of accepting extenders, like Sunwayman V10R or Jetbeam RRT-0. They both run on 1xCR123A, but you can put extender to accomodate either lithium or alkaline AA.

Just do yourself a favor; don't use alkalines if you value your light. They provide little to no regulation in high-intensity lights, and are prone to leaking acid and ruining your investment.

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies! I have done a bit more more research and think this light may not be my best choice. I think I want the ability to recharge for my EDC. I was looking at the Quark tactical that runs on AA, this seems like a pretty nice light, I like the moonlight feature. From what it looks like the Sanyo batteries are the way to go for a AA set up.

pblanch

Enlightened
+1 sanyo Eneloops.

Have a look at the Jetbeam PD40. LOADs of light may be good for looking in roofs. May be a little too big for anything but a bag carry. If you are looking for something to EDC I would stay with the CR123 as they have loads of power per volume and are thus smaller if you intend to look at houses as well.

You have just entered a zone where you just cant come back from. Good luck. Let us know what you get. Dont forget to google video the review of the lights you research as the UI (user interface) is something to consider. I also give a idea of what it looks like and the "feel" of the light (from someone elses perspective of course)

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
The PD30 is a fantastic light, my brother has one. Since you mentioned you use it daily, I agree with the others, highly recommend the PD31 if you can still find one or PD32. PD31 and PD32 will allow the use of 18650 cells and you still have the ability to use CR123 cells. 18650 cells have a larger diameter so they wont physically sit inside a PD30.

Another option worth considering if you really want a Fenix light is the LD20 or LD10. Since your usage is high a 4 pack of Eneloops and a charger and you are set. AA cells are also an option.

The PD series will yeild more output.

My PD31 has grown to my one of my favorite lights in my entire collection because of its size/shape which makes the light easy to carry in my pocket.

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
The PD30 only runs on CR123's the PD31 and 32 can take 18650 rechargeables. What kind of runtime are you looking for?

I'm looking for a run time on the higher end, I will be using this light for work but also need to be able to comfortably carry it on my person all the time. I want a light that fits in my pocket and is as bright as it can be without burning up batteries like crazy. Its not like this going to be the only light I will end up getting.... I may be on the verge of a new hobby! At least it is less expensive then my other hobby, ammo costs are getting expensive! Next step, reloading...

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Ive been VERY impressed with the runtimes on my PD31... I use Turbo (highest mode) more than any other mode.

Based on what you said above, pre-order the Fenix PD32. Get a pair of good 18650 cells and just enjoy.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies! I have done a bit more more research and think this light may not be my best choice. I think I want the ability to recharge for my EDC. I was looking at the Quark tactical that runs on AA, this seems like a pretty nice light, I like the moonlight feature. From what it looks like the Sanyo batteries are the way to go for a AA set up.

If you're referring to the Quark 1 AA version, which is a good light, and a great company in my humble opinion, may I make your decision harder by suggesting you have a look at the newly released ZebraLight SC80 (there is a thread in CPF on this light but I haven't seen a full review)? It runs on either a 1 AA or a CR123 without the need for a battery extender (cool design), and with its excellent interface (again IMHO) allows you to select 3 modes directly from off (Max, Mid, Min), with only one hand. It also advertises

200 Lumens on max (0.9 hrs.), or
126 Lumens (1.9 hrs.),
several modes in between...
and goes down to 0.12 Lumens (29 days) which is even lower than the Quark's fantastic moonlight mode.

The interface is used by all of ZebraLight's newer lights and there are many YouTube videos demonstrating it so you can get a very good idea if its right for you before making your decision (there are plenty of 4Sevens videos as well). In fact, selfbuilt recently did a video review of the SC600 which shares the same interface, but that is an 18650 and not what you are looking for.

All that said you definitely won't go wrong with any 4Sevens product.
Best of luck in your decision, and let us know what that decision is!

Edit:
One of the best things about 4Sevens is their involvement and frequent activity here at CPF and CPFM. I've read second hand posts that ZebraLight handles all issues promptly and professionally, which is great, but I've read first hand the way 4Sevens handles issues because they're posting the resolutions themselves.

Last edited:

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a ZebraLight yet, but after learning about the UI/Interface, its a very cool light! So +1

Another thing to consider if you are looking at Zebra, is one of their high CRI models, since you do home inspections, better color representation may help you, just a thought.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I concur with those who have suggested you move into rechargeables. For extended runtime in a small package, you can't beat the 18650 format. However, you will need to thoroughly educate yourself regarding the potential hazards of rechargeable lithium ion cells, lest you burn you house down.

Good hunting!

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
Well I just ordered the Fenix PD31 and a 12-pack of Surefire CR123A batteries! I want to run the 18650 eventually, but I want to spend some more time learning about that battery and everything having to do with all the variations (like protected vs. unprotected), what brand(s) are best, and what is the best charger for the 18650. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions, I looked at many different lights and UI systems and think I will be happy with the PD31 for my first light. NOW, what shall I get next, HA!... :whistle:

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
Well I just ordered the Fenix PD31 and a 12-pack of Surefire CR123A batteries! I want to run the 18650 eventually, but I want to spend some more time learning about that battery and everything having to do with all the variations (like protected vs. unprotected), what brand(s) are best, and what is the best charger for the 18650. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions, I looked at many different lights and UI systems and think I will be happy with the PD31 for my first light. NOW, what shall I get next, HA!... :whistle:

Last edited:

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Where did you order that light from?

and Grats on the new light. If you want to keep it cheap, and a simple rechargable setup for now, just go with these.

TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh) You can often find them for $8 to $10 for 2 shipped.

Charger: Trustfire TR-001 Lithium Battery Charger about $10-11 bucks

Ive been using this with my PD31, works, never any complaints. There are better / more expencive options, but its been working for me.

Dontreadonme!

Newly Enlightened
ExtremeX, Thank you, I bought everything from Amazon. I will check out the 18650 and charger you recommended. Have you ever used 2 CR123 in your PD31? Did you see a difference between brightness/run time between the CR123's and the 18650?

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
The only time I use CR123s in my PD31 is as an emergency cell. I don't bring my chargers camping, and I always keep a pair of CR123s in the car in case I ever do run out of juice.

I charge my 18650s often enough to never loose the turbo mode for high... but a single 18650 lasts me a good while with normal usage.

I don't see any brightness difference, the light is regulated with both CR123s and 18650s.

I use 18650s so I don't feel guilty using high modes =) When I use CR123s I tend to be a little more conservative when using my lights.