Any headlamps with variable output without "levels"?

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
Besides the LED Lenser H7 (and the Coast version of the same), are there any other headlamps that adjust from low to high via a potentiometer instead of using "levels" built into the driver circuit? I find that it's much quicker and easier to use a slider lever than cycling through various preset levels with multiple clicks of a button. Thanks in advance.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Ultrafire UF-H2B ramps up (and down) by holding the switch down (be aware it has a high parasitic drain, so you need to unscrew the tailcap when not using the light).

ZL headlamps also ramp from Lo to Med to Hi by holding the switch down (multiple clicks not needed unless you want to swap between H1 and H2, M1 and M2 etc). Some people (myself included) see this UI as the best of both worlds - quick access to different light levels, but known run times for a particular level. With pure ramping it is quite easy to set a light to a higher level than you realize, thus draining the battery quicker than you expect.

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
The SF Saint and Icon both have too few lumens for the money. My LED Lenser has 150 lumens and I'm wanting more. Runtime is less of an issue for me, as I have it mounted to my hardhat and have easy access to batteries when I get back to my office. It is rare to need it longer than an hour at a time, so anything that runs for an hour on the highest setting is fine. I've been looking at the ZL H600W, but I wasn't 100% sure of how the UI works. After looking at it again, it may be the best I'm going to find and creative thinking on their part for the UI. Thank you both for the suggestions.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If making a "for the money" calculation, the Icon gives you 50 lumen for $20, not a bad deal. But if you need a bright light, I'm afraid you'll have to give up the dial. It's not a big sacrifice, really. Like you, I prefer a dial, but a button works well and is a minor issue. Since the bright end of the spectrum is obviously important to you, at least the button allows you to get there instantly. You have several superbright options if you go 18650 - Zebras and Sparks. I say, learn to love the button.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
I'm using SWM V11R with a Fenix headband. It's infinitely variable, can be used as a regular hand-held, accepts CR123A/RCR123 or AA/14500 with an extender, and is brighter and cheaper than Saint.

Need to get a L-shaped attachment with a mirror and a better headband to perfect it. Anyone knows if something like that exists or who could make one?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using SWM V11R with a Fenix headband. It's infinitely variable, can be used as a regular hand-held, accepts CR123A/RCR123 or AA/14500 with an extender, and is brighter and cheaper than Saint.

Need to get a L-shaped attachment with a mirror and a better headband to perfect it. Anyone knows if something like that exists or who could make one?

4sevens makes a prism that will send the light 90 degrees and might just fit the V11R. It does reduce the width of the spill a little, though.

I doubt you find better than the Fenix headband, though. It's bulky, but at least you can aim the light as you please.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has a nice $11 headband with the light attached on the top strap which makes it easy to aim height and doesn't bounce as much. I have the 4/7s prism, but don't like what it does to the beam.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
4sevens makes a prism that will send the light 90 degrees and might just fit the V11R. It does reduce the width of the spill a little, though.

I doubt you find better than the Fenix headband, though. It's bulky, but at least you can aim the light as you please.
Awesome -- Quark Prism looks perfect. And the kit has a simple headband, similar to the Nitecore one. I actually like the zebralight headband, but I couldn't find it on sale separately from a light. The Fenix headband is too bulky for minimalist camping :)

Could anybody with a V-series light and the quark prism do me a favor and test the fit?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can try it out for you, but I won't be able to give any news until thursday (business trip)

Br243

Newly Enlightened

Fenix headband maybe a little large but its durible and dependable

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome -- Quark Prism looks perfect. And the kit has a simple headband, similar to the Nitecore one. I actually like the zebralight headband, but I couldn't find it on sale separately from a light. The Fenix headband is too bulky for minimalist camping :)

Could anybody with a V-series light and the quark prism do me a favor and test the fit?

Yes, it fits very nicely. It needs a slight stretching, but is easy to fit and holds just fine on there. It does shrink the spill more than I remembered, though, but still usable.

M11R (neutral):
149_146e92_bde96686_oJ.jpg.thumb

M11R with Quark Prism:

14a_146e91_8f5813d_oJ.jpg.thumb

I was holding the M11R uright for this picture. The "artefacts" you see over and under the spot are double-reflections from the prism and would be on the left and the right if you use a 4Sevens headband or similar (flashlight holding horizontally). I guess this is the part some people can't stand, but in real use it doesn't affect usability. I was about 4 feet from the wall for this picture, so there is still a wide enough light circle to walk around. The spot can't really be seen, we see mostly the corona here and a little less than half the spill.

I'm glad I took it out for this test, as I realise it can transform many flashlights in an angle light and I will likely start using it more often now.

Hope this helps.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cataract,

How does the beam quality of the prism compare to, say, that of a ZL flood light? Would lights thinner than the Quark work by using something like tape to make head thicker? Thanks.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cataract,

How does the beam quality of the prism compare to, say, that of a ZL flood light? Would lights thinner than the Quark work by using something like tape to make head thicker? Thanks.

The prism does not transfom you light in a flood light, it cuts part of the spill, but the spot stays the same. It looks like a flood in my pictures because we see the corona of the M11R, which is twice as wide as the spot, the same intensity as the spot. If you use a flooder, on the other hand, you will only see a difference in beam diameter and perhaps a small drop in output.

I'm sure you could use tape to adapt smaller lights, but I have no idea how well that would hold. If you don't plan on running with that setup, and the heat is no issue with the tape, I don't see why not.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Cataract, that looks good enough :). Now I gotta find me a prism kit...