Green tint (think some XM-Ls): Con...or even a pro......?

mmace1

Enlightened
I've read of hunters who use green tint- and that is the wavelength human eyes pick up the most.

So - I'm wondering - what's your opinion of a somewhat green tint (as say in - the, so-called, less fortunate XM-Ls)?

How I was prompted to ask - I have a TK41 & a Quark I've compared. The Quark is pretty pure-white. The TK41 is a bit green/yellow mix. Bear with me here please - after watching Paranormal Activity 3 in theatres - my girlfriend returned to my apartment alone w/ my Quark cool, a bit freaked out (I was going to the store). She took my flashlight...I had this idea of us night hiking after the movie...spooookky after the movie for Halloween. Apparentlly too spooky. So that was canceled. Anyway - she goes into my apartment with the flashlight - later...wow, apparently she now realizes tint differences. She said the cool white Quark was "ghostly" & thus a bit scary. On further testing (she's rather patient) - to her, the XM-L seemed a bit better. Best of all was one of the new neutral Quarks, but that's beside the point.

So I wonder - initialy white wall hunting, I disliked the TK41 tint slightly. Now that I think about it though...why? What was my reasoning? Just a unsubstantiated bias toward "pure"-white for no apparent reason? I recall vaguely *liking* the rather blue tints of my early LEDs...angry blue of all things, as it was kind of unusual/futuristic looking (at the time).

So...bit green? Negative outside of wall hunting? If justifiable outside of "no accounting for taste".

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green bothers me on a wall or on snow. I actually like it otherwise because there is less glare from a slightly green tint light and I can see details of things better.

davecroft

Enlightened
I like my lights as white as possible, even a tiny bit blue/white as I have become used to LEDS being that colour. I have had 2 lights with green tints and didn't like either - one was a Quark XPG S2 which I returned, the other was a Fenix E11 which was very green. On examination the LED on this light had no dome - I think it was knocked off during assembly. Does the dome on the LED contribute to the colour tint?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
She would have really liked a warm tint. It just gives you that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. Like a campfire.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it is not too green I am perfectly fine with it. It used to bug me a lot, but over the times I have come to accept that when buying any cool white lights there is always a chance of getting an emitter with tints other than white. Guess what? I love my 4Sevens Quark AA S2 even though there is an obvious slight green tint to it. Would have rejected it years ago.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I'm with Dave on this one.

Prefer pure white, but I'd rather have something on the cool side than pukey yellow or green :green:

A.D.D.i.c.t

Newly Enlightened
I too dislike green or blue tinted lights. I have only one light that is not a neutral tint, and I made the exception because it is made of copper. So pretty on the keys. Maratac AAA.

TDK9

Newly Enlightened
I like green tint more than blue. Pure, neutral white is ideal.

ExtremeX

Newly Enlightened
Are all the XP-G R5 a bit green?

I much prefer the XP-G R4, looked a lot nicer. Almost with that LED was still being used, even thought its a little less efficent.

I try not to be TOO critical on color, but my Fenix PD31 is very geen in lower modes. I guess I got used to it, because its one of my favorite lights dispite wishing it was more on the pure white side...

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Are all the XP-G R5 a bit green?
No, not at all. But there is a tendency for early batches of higher brightness / efficiency bins to have more tint variability - inevitable really: as you push the manufacturing tolerances to up the brightness it's a bit harder to control the other parameters such as tint.

So some early batches of XP-Gs (and XM-Ls) had quite a few greenies in them. Tends to get better after a while as the manufacturing processes settle down.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't stand Pea Green.

Buy leds from Cutter & pick your own tint, try to stick to the black locus line (the center line of the tint graph),
regardless of CCT, you won't get pea green.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Personally I always enjoyed the distinct difference between all of my incan lights vs my Luxeons. I wanted all of my luxeons to be as crystal white as I could get simply because to me this makes them "look" brighter.

I do know this is not always the case however again to me a crystal, cool , tint is more impressive for sheer output. In a city scene on patrol my heavy hitting incandescents always did much better with my duty use. They did not blend in as much with the ambient lighting in a big city on night shift.

In todays times emitters have evolved enough to compete with many incans (i thought I would never say this) and I have a few XM-L versions that really put some light downrange. I would probably be dissapointed if they had a green, or even creamy, tint. Yes I am kind of a tint snob however I do have a few luxeons that are greenies and I still find a use for them.

I have some very strong incans and when shining them in a large room they are impressive. I have found a much less powerful luxeon can be just as impressive if it is a cool bluish or crystal white.....almost reminds me of those crazy bright HID headlights.....you know the ones you see coming a mile away because they are so crystal white...almost cartoonish white at times.

I have an old TW4 that I still use for a small back up light at times. It is a huge wall of light and probably the most creamy green tinted luxeon I have. It works perfect for my range practices at night fire. The air gets filled quickly with smoke and haze and when I use my other luxeons the whiter tint does not do as well as the creamy TW4. Incans will cut through the smoke and haze very well and it took me a while to figure out that some luxeons can do well also if they are tinted correctly......yeah I still do not like them but they do have their place I guess.

mmace1

Enlightened
So, Robocop - you're a mod, yet also a cop in real life. Somehow this seems interesting to me. A moderator who in real life is...also kind of a moderator.

I have nothing intelligent to add, just it seemed funny to me.