Fenix TK15 failures, help needed to find replacement

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's the story:

a buddy who is a flashaholic with no personal spare time uses me as his researcher here at CPF.

his neighbor needed a bright-yet-affordable light, so i was asked to find something that used easily available standard batteries and sold for under $100

after reading a number of comments here, i suggested the Fenix TK15

then just a few weeks later i get this message from my buddy:

"The Fenix TK15 Tactical Light (337 Lumen) that I recommended to my friend has turned into an interesting expose on Chinese workmanship. She purchased three of those suckers (man were they sweet). The first one stopped working after 2 weeks. The second one would never turn on. The third stopped working after 3 days.

She emailed the company 3 days ago. The company has not responded. Fortunately, Amazon is taking them back and is refunding her money."

i don't know what company she emailed, but it still doesn't say much about the lights themselves.

after personally owning a number of fenix, i was surprised, to say the least. sad.

ok, my question: is there any other reasonably priced light, using standard batts, that isn't huge, puts out lots of lumens, and that's more reliable?
(i'd suggest a surefire if they weren't over the budget allowance).

CyberCT

Enlightened
That is really strange. I have purchased over 10 Fenix lights, mostly for myself and some as gifts. Only one of them (E05) is funky at times.

By standard batteries do you mean CR123s? I'm used to hearing standard batteries as AAs or Ds, which the TK41 would be the best bet for that situation. But my recommendation would be the TK35. It is extremely bright, almost twice as thick as the TK15 and nearly just as long, and quite light.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
so far my half dozen E05 have worked fine. been using fenix for years and this was a bit of a shock.

yeah, as a 1xAAA user i too usually use the term "standard" for the basic alkalines AAA, AA, C, D & 9V, but here i'm including CR123 if only because you can readily get them. what i'm NOT including are things like Lithium Ion rechargeables.

why the TK35 over the TK15 (and what does it run on)? do you think it's more reliably designed?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as is so often the case, a "round number" price point cuts off just below what's needed.

I'd suggest Malkoff "Turn-key" MD2 w/M61 and Hi/Lo ring, which is a little above budget.
You could probably find one coming up used in exc condition on the CPFMP for the desired price.
As you know, they are the most rugged and reliable lights around, and Gene's responsive customer service is legendary, even though it will probably never be needed. And if you need something, Gene is in Alabama, not China.
260 Lumens OTF. Fully upgradeable with other Malkoff drop-ins for obsolescence-proof future, McClicky switch, Type III HA, and the best overall performance around.
I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as is so often the case, a "round number" price point cuts off just a hair below what's needed.

I'd suggest Malkoff "Turn-key" MD2 w/M61 and Hi/Lo ring, which is a little above budget.
You could probably find one coming up used in exc condition on the CPFMP for the desired price.
As you know, they are the most rugged and reliable lights around, and Gene's responsive customer service is legendary, even though it will probably never be needed. And if you need something, Gene is in Alabama, not China.
260 Lumens OTF. Fully upgradeable with other Malkoff drop-ins for obsolescence-proof future, McClicky switch, Type III HA, and the best overall performance around.
I'm just sayin'.

nice suggestion, thnx. because i'm into totally different lights, this was never on my radar. out of interest, what would a new once cost? got a link handy?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice suggestion, thnx. because i'm into totally different lights, this was never on my radar. out of interest, what would a new once cost? got a link handy?

The MD2 Hi/Lo Turn-key light is currently out of stock, but they replenish often and you just need to keep an eye out, or drop Gene a note that you want one.
Price is on a discount at this time, $119.95.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/turnkey-md2-with-highlow-switch-p-87.html

They also have an MD2 without the Hi/Lo ring which is the same in all other ways, and it is in stock and on sale for $99.95
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/turnkey-ha-flashlight-md2-p-68.html

So, there is one in the price range, and in stock.
The Hi/Lo ring is available separately for $25 and can be added to the regular MD2 model at any time in the future. And it is user-installed very easily, so you could just order the Hi/Lo ring at the same time.

I recommend the Hi/Lo ring because it gives you a normal selection of about 25 lumens for normal use, and you can twist the head for hi output.
Tight head is Hi, loose head is low. Can be pre-selected before turning the light on.
This is much more useful with a powerful light, and well worth it.
This light is unbeatable for the price, if you consider all the angles including construction quality, beam quality, ruggedness and reliability, and customer service.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
great info twl. i will definitely spend some time reading about these and tell my buddy all about them.

thnx!

edit: i did tell him and he passed on the info. seems we've found "a better way". looks like a couple new malkoffs on the horizon...

thnx twl!

Last edited: