Sunwayman V10A reverse polarity protection.

Kilted

Enlightened
After reading this and having a SWM-V10A on order I thought I had a simple answer;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ising-lights&p=3783467&viewfull=1#post3783467

negative surprise: Sunwayman V10a: no reverse polarity protection. very dim light and inserted a cell backwards. toasted at least one IC (smell) and $82 went poof! admittedly my fault, but neither the dealer or Sunwayman itself could help or sell another head alone. No more Sunwayman lights for me.

Just put a spacer in the head to give a mechanical reverse polarity protection. I was surprised that SWM missed the reverse polarity protection I expected it to be electronic. I do not know if it has been added in their new series of lights.

Here is what I did. I went to the hardware store and found a flat nylon washer 1/2x9/32" some double sided tape and this is what it looks like. The head on the right is before and the one on the left has the washer installed. Of course now the light will only run on button top cells. I made sure the AW 14500 had a button top and of course all AA's, enelop's, L91 all have button tops. I also add the washer to my V20A-AE and V10R-AE, when the V10A-xml arrives it will also get the same mod.

232323232%7Ffp7344%3B%3Enu%3D3254%3E2%3C%3A%3E898%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3C45%3B698832%3Anu0mrj

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Kilted

Enlightened
moldyoldy,

I expect that over time and with heat the tape will lose sticky. This maybe considered a temp proof of concept. If you like it carefully use any other glue including super glue or epoxy. I did not want to risk having glue going where is was not wanted. While I was doing this I discovered the fiber washer around the central contact rotated, not sure why but it does. This rotation helps to keep the washer and tape in place. The washer has to be thick enough to prevent the central contact from touching the negative case but not so thick it keeps the button from making contact. Under normal conditions the battery and washer never touch.

In the long run nylon may not be best choice. I would expect a fiber washer with epoxy would make the best mod, or... or... etc...

When I change the battery I will need to pay attention if the washer has come loose. I did a test with max output and carried the light around until the low voltage tripped out. Opened the flashlight and check the temp by feel, temp was OK battery a bit warm nothing excessive. It made a nice hand warmer.

For your bad V10A head advertise it and see if a modder is interested.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

okwchin

Newly Enlightened
If your prepared to make a new washer, you can replace the internal washer. Just remove that single screw, and the aluminium retaining ring comes out. The original washer then comes out with it, while the metal positive contact is part of the driver board itself.

OpenedV10RTi7.jpg

Last edited:

Kilted

Enlightened
OH WOW, I just might do that later as I thought a fiber washer epoxied on would work better but I did not want to take the chance of messing up the insides. This makes it possible as all the messy work can be done external to the light engine.

Thank you,

=D~~ Kilted

naked2

Enlightened
Since this thread is about modding a V10A, and I'm about to pull the trigger, I'll post here (I wanted to know about a different mod, searched, and couldn't find anything). Does anyone know if the V10A can be bored for 17500 or 18500?

Kilted

Enlightened
An update; the washer mod has been in use now on several SWM-VxxR/A and has caused no problems and it is easy to remove if needed. As of now I see no reason to do any thing else, the mod is good to go as is.

=D~~ Kilted

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Superglued in a 2 half moon shaped pieces of plastic in mine. Thanks for making the thread, probably will save a few Sunwaymans :thumbsup: