M40A Sunwayman fair price and why cheaper than MCE

NickBose

Enlightened
M40A XM-L Sunwayman fair price and why cheaper than MCE

Just wondering why the XM-L version is cheaper than the MCE one?

hkequipment on eBay is offering the M40A XM-L at US$113.75 shipped. Is it a fair price considering the Zebralight Q50 MSRP of US$99 at higher output (I know it's not available yet but will be soon)? Have you guys got any better offer?

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
That is a decent price on the m40a. True the q50 is cheaper but i am very impressed with the build quality of the m40a. Its very solid. The q50 is might have a higher output but it will be floody since it should have a fairly smaller reflector then the m40a. With that said the m40a has good spill and good throw for its size. Dont forget too that the q50 can only maintain the higher output for 5 minutes i believe before it quicks down to 500 lumens.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MCE version of the M40A is more $$ because it is no longer made (and has not been made for about 6 months) thus they are in short supply. Your in luck because the XML version is nicer anyway.

The M40A is more $$ than the Zebralight Q50 because the M40A is a little bigger with more metal to take the heat away from the emitter so it does not have to back down the brightness like the Zebralight does (The Q50 will back down from 800 lumens to 450 or so after about 5 minutes). The extra metal and heat sink material costs $$.

At any rate, you are comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they both use 4AA cells but that is where the similarity stops. The Q50 is a flood light while the M40A is a thrower (for a smallish sized AA light). The Q50 beam intensity will be about 8,000cd while the M40A is about 25,000cd. The M40A is extremely well made. It is one of the most solid lights I've owned. Of course I have no idea about the Q50 build quality because it is not out yet but I love every Zebralight I've come across (I have 6).

P.S. You may want to edit your post and make it a little more general. Mods don't like when people talk about price/dealer specifics. That is for the market place.

NickBose

Enlightened
It's interesting to know that M40A is more throwy and Q50 is more floody. I pulled the trigger at US$110 shipped. Hope it will be a great light. My Eneloops are all excited waiting for it!

[Price is an additional note, main points are why XM-L is cheaper (quality changed?) and how it compares to Q50]

Can someone show me how to edit the thread title?

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Man, i really cant decide on witch light I want to spend my money.Sunwayman M40A looks nice and compact, but looking like a bit of a ***** next to Fenix TK41 on light output looking at goingear videos. Would wait for the Zebralight Q50, but if the Zebralight will throw even less than the Fenix LD40, than I will be disappointed.
How does the LD40 compare to the M40A?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact XM-l is cheaper than MC-e
MCE costs $45 and xml costs $30, in RMB, with board
Retail price on taobao.com and can be cheaper in bulk
Price for reference only

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact XM-l is cheaper than MC-e
MCE costs $45 and xml costs $30, in RMB, with board
Retail price on taobao.com and can be cheaper in bulk
Price for reference only

igoman

Newly Enlightened
M40A is wider (LD40 is longer), heavier, much brighter, with much better throw and truly outstanding quality.

Hmm, might pull the trigger on it then. I love the LD40, but I just would like a bit more light out of it and more throw and spill. The Jeatbeam PA40 lacks on throw.
The one thing I am afraid is that there will be some problems with the magnetic ring on M40A(someone mentioned this somewhere).
The Fenix TK41 would be the winner for me, but I am afraid I wont be able to carry it in a pocket (I can carry the LD40 in my pocket just fine) and therefore wont use it.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
Compared to the tk41 the m40a feels small. So far the magnetic ring has been great on my light. I do remember reading a different sunwayman model having a ring issue but i believe that was quickly taken care by the company. If its worth anything i remember reading a few comments about the switch on the tk41 having issues as well.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
If its worth anything i remember reading a few comments about the switch on the tk41 having issues as well.

Hehelovecpf, thanks.

NickBose

Enlightened
For me, the only problem with the Fenix TK41 is its battery holder. I respect the Fenix brand in general, but that holder just looks like one from a shytfire light on dealextrim.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, i really cant decide on witch light I want to spend my money.Sunwayman M40A looks nice and compact, but looking like a bit of a ***** next to Fenix TK41 on light output looking at goingear videos. Would wait for the Zebralight Q50, but if the Zebralight will throw even less than the Fenix LD40, than I will be disappointed.
How does the LD40 compare to the M40A?

The Goinggear viedo is the old version of the M40A with the MCE. The video is not the new version with the XML T6. That said, the TK41 will throw farther and put out a little bit (not a alot) more light because it is a much larger light (more metal for heat sink) with double the batteries (more available amperage, driven harder) and a larger reflector (for more throw).

The Zebralight will have less throw than the LD40. My LD40 will out-throw my Zebralight SC600 (very much like the upcoming Q50). Of course the SC600 (and Q50) puts out a ton more light than the LD40.

Yes, the M40A XML out-throws the LD40 by quote a lot and puts out way more light too. The M40A T6 XML is also smaller than the LD40 too. Of course the M40A T6 XML is way more $$ than the LD40.

PA40046.jpg

Last edited:

NickBose

Enlightened
It arrived. Tint on the spill is a bit bluish-purplish but the hot spot is fine.

Some beamshots against few other throwy lights I have (The Tiablo A9 is a DX fake but the aspherical head is genuine).

Note the inset is the crop of the fence which is about 100 meter away.

The throw is not bad at all agaisnt TK35.

6393988691_fcf60e30ea_b.jpg

6393982341_2af8825353_b.jpg

6393982295_5a25338c3f_b.jpg

6393982239_fcf302518d_b.jpg

6393982191_2b5fb8f2ac_b.jpg

6393982105_14177ed9d1_b.jpg