XM-L in action(video included)

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to share a short video I took while working up at a university at night. I came across a family of raccoons and noticed that one had dove into a garbage bin. I of course had a few flashlights on my person, so I reached for my Solarforce L2T with the XM-L drop-in and headed in for a closer look.

Last edited:

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
I was kind of worried about rabies and the raccoon possibly jumping out and biting me. You can tell in the video that I was sort of hesitant to get too close to the opening.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this is a good example of why folks say "no" when someone asks if a flashlight is a reliable way to persuade animals to leave you alone. Those coons took 400+ lumens in the face from a couple feet away and went "nice light, but I'm eating nom nom nom".

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
And this is a good example of why folks say "no" when someone asks if a flashlight is a reliable way to persuade animals to leave you alone. Those coons took 400+ lumens in the face from a couple feet away and went "nice light, but I'm eating nom nom nom".

In retrospect, I should have given them a quick taste of the strobe mode to see if that would frighten them.(doesn't work on the family cat, but worth a try anyway:))

manoloco

Enlightened
it worked for me on a small-medium dog, though it was a 800+ Lumen drop in, but no, i wouldnt rely on it to deter animals attacking you, i did it because i didnt want to kick the dog that was going to attack me, it worked but, i was ready to kick too, since the light worked at a good distance i didnt need to kick, luckily, because i hate when i see animals getting hurt, so you can imagine how i feel when i have to do it i hate it more to see myself getting hurt of course :D

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jayman: What XM-L are you using? The one from Manafont or the one from Solarforce? Or a custom made XM-L?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I love coons. we've rescued, raised, rehabilitated (when needed), and released several raccoons over the years. Have to let them go before mating season or be prepared to wait through a rough period of aggression. They are loyal and loving with a lot of individual personality when mating season doesn't have them running in the red of "psycho".

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
"Jayman: What XM-L are you using? The one from Manafont or the one from Solarforce? Or a custom made XM-L?"

It was the single-mode Solarforce drop-in.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it the camera, or does this light have almost no spill?

He said his setup has a smooth reflector, so it will have less spill than a textured reflector, but the camera's exposure latitude, or whatever, isn't as wide as our vision so the hot spot vs spill won't look the same on camera as it would to our eyes. The camera either has to over expose the hot spot to show you the spill as you would see it, or under expose the spill to properly expose for what is in the hot spot.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce Single Mode XM-L

"Jayman: What XM-L are you using? The one from Manafont or the one from Solarforce? Or a custom made XM-L?"

It was the single-mode Solarforce drop-in.

Thank you for the clarification.

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
He said his setup has a smooth reflector, so it will have less spill than a textured reflector, but the camera's exposure latitude, or whatever, isn't as wide as our vision so the hot spot vs spill won't look the same on camera as it would to our eyes. The camera either has to over expose the hot spot to show you the spill as you would see it, or under expose the spill to properly expose for what is in the hot spot.

What Wade said is exactly the scenario, plus I was using my phone to record so quality wasn't too great.