Two stage switches? Why not more?

dogma

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered the 2-stage switch on the SF LX2 and ordered one. I've been looking around for other flashlights with this same interface and, except for threads I found on a few mods, I can find any non-SF lights with this interface. Is SF that only production light with this feature? If so, why??? And why not 3 or more stages?

I've been thinking about this feature a lot and I think my 'dream' edc light would be very similar to the LX2 but more floody like the SF A2L and with 3 modes of operation. A ~1lumen moonlight mode, a 10-20 lumen normal use, and a 200-300+ high power mode. It seems like a lot of folks that spend time hiking/camping/outdoors would appreciate a 3 level progression like this. All of the lights that force you to cycle between modes (like my Olights) drive me crazy as I never know for sure what mode the light will come on in. Ever worse, many lights have near useless strobe modes stuck in the progress. So why not a 3 stage tail cap?

Erzengel

Enlightened
The switch design is patented by surefire and even without the patents, these switches are rather expensive to build. There was a McGizmo two stage switch for the Surefire E and C Threads, but I recall that the production had to be stopped because of pressure from Surefire. More than two stages would increase the size of the switch a lot.

seahunt

Enlightened
Post deleted. Let's not get to far into the patent issue, and keep to OP's question. Post 2 is appropriate.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc 6 was a 3 stage light very close to what you want, but it is discontinued. With an updated led it is still a magnificent light and I carry mine almost every day (neutral xp-g led inside now)

Imho the LX2, L1, A2 style of 2 stage is the best way of implementing 2 light levels in a flashlight. Too bad there aren't more around:(

Viper715

Enlightened
The Ra Twisty has three stages with a unique head design. You just keep twisting for higher levels or you can program each progressive level to what you want.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Imho the LX2, L1, A2 style of 2 stage is the best way of implementing 2 light levels in a flashlight. Too bad there aren't more around:(
Just think how different things would be had the L1 & L2 tail threading been compatible with the E-series (or even the rest of the L-series). Being able to use that wonderful two-stage (& relatively available) tailcap on a far greater selection of bodies ... :sigh:

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I would also like to see more lights with this feature. The LX2 implementation is good but just gives you two fixed levels. What would be really useful would an adjustable lower level (ramping, selector ring, you name it) with a momentary blast of full power available at all times simply by holding the button down.

The Surefire patent presumably covers their mechanical switch design. There are plenty of lights with other switch designs (electronic click, PD) and yet only HDS appears to have implemented a hold-the-button-down-for-full-blast mode.

I recently mentioned this on the Marketplace with regard to the Thrunite Scorpion but got zero replies, so presumably not everyone thinks this feature would be as useful as we do !

arek98

Enlightened
The LX2 implementation is good but just gives you two fixed levels. What would be really useful would an adjustable lower level (ramping, selector ring, you name it) with a momentary blast of full power available at all times simply by holding the button down.

This is exactly Invictus interface. Switch as LX2 and ring to select "low" level.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just think how different things would be had the L1 & L2 tail threading been compatible with the E-series (or even the rest of the L-series). Being able to use that wonderful two-stage (& relatively available) tailcap on a far greater selection of bodies ... :sigh:

Still kicking myself for not getting a McE2s, got a McC2s for my C2, but miss one very much for my upgraded E2L :ohgeez:

Rjkpsmith

Newly Enlightened
Don't think that anybody mentioned this yet... but Selfbuilt recently reviewed a light (Lumintop P16x) that has the Surefire type 2 stage switch.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320612-Lumintop-P16X-(XM-L-1x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more

Nice light, but I guess that I didn't like it quite enough to buy it just for the two stage switch. I wish that some company would start making a surefire C/P series 2 stage tailcap and sell it for a reasonable price. Solarforce could probably do it. Ah well, until then we will be stuck scrounging for Kroma tailcaps, etc...

dogma

Newly Enlightened
The Ra Twisty has three stages with a unique head design. You just keep twisting for higher levels or you can program each progressive level to what you want.

I'm asking specifically about multi-stage switches. The problem with "twisty"s is you never know for sure what mode the light is in when you pull it out of your pocket/pouch.

nbp

Flashaholic
Viper715 said:

I was gonna mention the same thing after reading the OP. The Ra Twisty is among the most functionally useful lights ever made, I think, and pretty darn cool looking too. A perfectly spaced three position progressive twisty in a bombproof shell: brilliant.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The problem with "twisty"s is you never know for sure what mode the light is in when you pull it out of your pocket/pouch.
Except with the progressive switched lights like the Aeon/Ion, Nitecore EZ-series being two-stage and the Twisty having three stages. First level is always low, but a quick twist from off gets you all the way to high immediately. The only thing you lose is momentary.
I was gonna mention the same thing after reading the OP. The Ra Twisty is among the most functionally useful lights ever made, I think, and pretty darn cool looking too. A perfectly spaced three position progressive twisty in a bombproof shell: brilliant.
Couldn't have said it better...

dogma

Newly Enlightened
Except with the progressive switched lights like the Aeon/Ion, Nitecore EZ-series being two-stage and the Twisty having three stages. First level is always low, but a quick twist from off gets you all the way to high immediately. The only thing you lose is momentary.
Couldn't have said it better...

We we discussing tailcap activated lights with a twisty output selector. Those lights are all twisty activated only, aren't they? They're really not in the same league since they require two hands to operate at all.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought this thread was discussing two-stage push button pressure switches?
(Which in SureFire's invention on the A2/LX2 etc, is integrated into a TailCap which can be rotated for either constant-on or disable (LockOut) 'modes').
Of course SureFire also invented the concept of a tail-switch that pushes the whole battery through the body (8X), with both battery contacts being at the forward end of the battery. This invention was taken further with the 10X (and other never-released prototypes such as the M1000) with two-stage pressure switching.

And who can forget SureFire's prototype three-stage push button pressure switch with the MiniBeast?

Last edited:

Latest posts