Returning TL-3 LED

fivejcb

Newly Enlightened
Received my SL TL-3 LED yesterday and I'm discipointed. This is my first high end flashlight I guess I had high expectations for $119. Please tell me if I'm being to picky? First thing I noticed was batteries are loose in the tube and rattle. I know LED's are not as white as bulbs but this was lots more blue than expected. I don't think its any brighter than my friends G2. The adjustable focus did very little. I guess for $119 I expected more, so I think I will just get a SF G2 or a 6P.

doubleganger

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. You have now begun your neverending quest for the holy perfect flashlight.

There are many here more qualified to comment but what the hell, I try not to let that stop me.
I really like my tl-3 and it's definately not as bright as a g2. I didn't expect it to be. Of course the g2 only burns for an hour and from time to time a bulb burns out compared to much longer runtime and at least 1000 hours on the led. I don't tend to shake my lights to see if they rattle and have not noticed any rattle from normal use. I have a tl-3 xenon ordered for throw and brightness, a different purpose altogether. Granted the focus doesn't do much. I was a little disappointed about that. I'll probably loc-tite mine at the focus I like best. It probably won't help to tell you that amazon.com has them for 99.99 with free shipping.

If you want a really bright led light as far as I know you still have to go with one of the lights built by hand by the cpf modders. I have a nex-needle, a great light built by mrbulk, which is a brinkman 2C nexstar modded to use a direct drive hand picked 5 watt luxeon star with 3 123's. It's way, way brighter than the tl-3 with much more of a flood but only burns bright for about an hour and is heavier. I use it for different things. Watch the forums for his next project.

The SureFire L4 regulated 5 watt luxeon is said be a real nice light that puts out more light but less focused and only 1 hour burn time. It's more expensive too.

anyway, good luck on your quest!!!

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Likewise, welcome to CPF. I suppose if you have a mindset that the TL-3(LED) will not have the throw as a 3 cell CR123 Lithium or in some cases a 2 cell Lithium you won't be disappointed. Although it probably won't be long until they are, they are advancing all the time with this LED technology. A lot of people buy these LED Lights not for throw reasons but for longer battery life reasons. They would be great in power failure situations or for camping or for just cutting a trail through the woods. I am still planning on buying the TL-3 (LED)when it becomes regulated which I understand that is the intentions of Streamlight. Nonetheless welcome to CPF, information on this board is outstanding and I have learned an awful lot for being a member for such a short time.

FBA

Newly Enlightened
hi, welcome to cpf.i'm still new also.i bought a TL-3 recently.very true the cr123 does rattle when i shake the flashlight.probably the body inner diameter is just a little bit too big for the cr123.but one thing though , the beam is the whitest i've seen so for.even whiter than my ARC LSH-P.

fivejcb

Newly Enlightened
I also have learned a lot hear its been great very helpful, everyone has been great. I'm serenely not an expert about any of this. All I go by is what the MFG. says about their product. I looked at Streamlights info about the TL-3 LED they say it is 85 or 90 lumens that's brighter than SF's G2 at 65. I'm sure there's something I don't understand about the throw and how it all works out I just thought 85 better than 65? Maybe I'm being to hard on the TL3 I was just looking for a bright long lasting light that is durable. The price is an issue but not the issue. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic?

rumar

Newly Enlightened
My SL TL-3 LED does not have the throw of my incands, but I use it for a different need. You can prob do a search for throw vs lumens on the forums.

BTW my P-9 rattles too.

doubleganger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fivejcb said:
I looked at Streamlights info about the TL-3 LED they say it is 85 or 90 lumens

[/ QUOTE ]

manufacturer lumen claims are pretty useless for comparing lights from different manufacturers as they don't use the same measurment techniques. About all they are good for is comparisons for the same brand.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't blame you for being disappointed, fivejcb. That's alot to spend on a Streamlight. I bought my SL TL-3 LED off ebay for $98.00 and was disappointed when it started having problems with the brightness and appearance of the hotspot within 24 hours.

This was due to the little black shrink wrap tube around the emitter post working its way up until it eventually popped off loose inside the bezel.

I sent Streamlight an email and they responded within 3 hours, apologized and told me to send it in and they would replace the flashlight right away. That's good customer service.

From what I understand, yours and my TL-3 LEDs are the old style...focusable. The new ones have a fixed focus and, I understand, a better design for managing heat.

I just dropped it in the mail and look forward to seeing if I get the newer version with the fixed focus and better heat sinking design.

I had searched here and read up alot on LEDs, particularly the 1 watt and 5 watt Luxeons. I had also purchase 4 different LED lights and had an idea of what to expect from the TL-3 LED.

Mine was white and bright. I had to go outside at night and shine it at the leaves on trees to detect that it had a slight bluish tint.

If you believe the beam is too blue, why not send them an email and ask for replacement? Here's a link to Streamlight's website's "Contact Streamlight" page:

Contact Streamlight

I took a moment to register my warranty online with them (you'll see the link in the lefthand menu) before I emailed Customer Service.

BC

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

If I had to do over, instead of the SL TL-3 LED 5 watt I would have bought the Elektro Lumens Blaster 2D 5 watt ($89.99). EL Flashlights

Check out how it compares on Quickbeam's red and blue chart on his "Honkin' Throw...." thread on this forum.

When this TL-3 LEd get's back, I may just sell it on BST and see if I can get almost enough for it to buy the EL Blaster 2D.

I'm also trying to wrangle one of McGizmo's Pelican M6 mods. You can bounce back and forth between a very white and bright Luxeon LED and the stock PM6 Incandescent which has noticeably better throw than the G2 P61. Best of both.

Good luck,

BC

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually the battery rattling isn't really an issue...most of the surefires i've owned rattle too, but so long as it doesn't cause the light to become intermittant (like cheap 2D lights) i don't let it bother me. in any case good luck with getting a replacement with a nicer led /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i've seen FBA's TL3 and the beam is really the whitest i've seen. it was practically as white as daylight.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Streamlight TL-3 LED arrived via UPS back from Streamlight today. Only it isn't my adjustable focus TL-3 LED...it's the new fixed focus version. About 21 days from the day I mailed it till it was delivered to my door.

This is a quite an improvement over my adjustable focus model. The spill floods a substantial area and the perfectly centered and round hotspot is about 14" in diameter at 6 feet.

The beam looks very white to me. All my other white LEDs look bluish compared side by side. But none of them are 1 or 5 watt Luxeons. I'm anticipating comparing a Pelican M6 LED to it when they are available.

My disappointment with the problem with the adjustable focus version is gone.

Also, the emitter assembly, heat sink and interface with the head is redesigned. Everything fits precisely and securely. No more spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I had considered putting this light up for sale on B/S/T when I got it back, but I won't now. I imagine those that are up for sale there for $60-80 now, are the adjustable focus versions.

Excellent customer service from Streamlight.

BC

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great BC. Glad you like it.

In my scientific manner, I noted your beam measurements at six feet, and whipped out my ultra precise beam measuring device. My handy $ 0.10 yard stick at six feet gives me a hot spot of 11"(old focusing TL-3 LED).

My Lux color is nice, not sun white, but it's OK, considering the alternatives.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, reproved by your excellent example and fearing that my notoriously poor guesstimation skills may have misled my esteemed CPF colleagues, My energy conservation mode was interrupted and I was galvanized into taping a 12" plastic ruler to the wall. Returning to my customary repose in my chair, I centered the ruler in the hotspot of the FF.

Hmmmm....I was off quite a bit. There is easily another 2" at each end of the ruler, so make that 16" atleast then it gets a little ragged for another 1". So, 16 to 18".

I just checked while I ran up to the drug store and it lights up 2/3 of a large backyard and the hotspot is large enough at 50 feet to illuminate a man head to toe.

When I returned to the seclusion of the bunker, the spill circle spread from one end of the living room to the other and there was enough lumens or QUPs or whatever bouncing around in here to make my plants think they were supposed to be up and photosynthesizing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
If one is willing to spend upwards of $100 for an LED light expecting great brightness and throw, it would indeed probably be better to get a custom-modified light to suit those aims. Mfrs. must consider lifetime warranties, etc., and build lights accordingly. Me, I say run time and (to a certain extent) lifetime be damned and go for maximum brightness! Besides, the way LED technology is evolving, by the time a modded light grows too dim it will be long past the obsolescence point created by even brighter, newer LED lights...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can beat this poor attempt at scientific measurement.

My cat (actually my wife's cat), I don't like the things because it isn't a dog; measurers exactly !!! 11.158" from head to tail.

My TL-3 beam reaches a cats whisker longer than the total length of the cat.

Therefore: In precise optical terms ( I am an Optometrist, you know) the beam of the TL-3 is (1) cat length (+) one cat whisker, which is universally known as equaling 1/100 of the thickness of a US dime..( $0.10 for the UK people).

Therefore, the EXACT beam width is 11.160".

I challenge anyone to beat my precise measurement. In this case of course, the light is considered to be a particle, not a wave.............

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
If one is willing to spend upwards of $100 for an LED light expecting great brightness and throw, it would indeed probably be better to get a custom-modified light to suit those aims. Mfrs. must consider lifetime warranties, etc., and build lights accordingly. Me, I say run time and (to a certain extent) lifetime be damned and go for maximum brightness! Besides, the way LED technology is evolving, by the time a modded light grows too dim it will be long past the obsolescence point created by even brighter, newer LED lights...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I'm curious to see what a hot rodder modder could squeeze out of my light.

"Damn the warranty and full speed ahead!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I took some close-up photos of the business end of my TL-3 LED this morning. I don't have an image hosting service or I'd post them here.

I think it was Mr. Bulk who discussed and showed photos of the fixed focus version a few months back, before they were available. The new setup looks like what he showed, IIRC.

With the better connection between the emitter module and rather substantial head... and between the module and the reflector/bezel I think there could be more had from the 3x123s and 5 watt Luxeon LED. It emits very white light. Moreso than my last model which was pretty darn white.

BC