Energizer seabeam

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
after i melted reflector, in a energizer (dolphin) light, i couldn't get my self to throw away a well build host, so i decided to mod it, first i cut off damaged reflector, leaving about 1\2" from the front, than i figured it is a sealed plastic body, heat dissipation is none existent, so I'm limited to a low power led, i used xp-g r2 on star and attached it to a solid piece of aluminum 4x5x2 sm. about 1 1\2" x 2" x 3\4, 700ma driver, and 26mm narrow tir lens. ran it for 3 hours straight, aluminum block didn't get too hot, it is big, and it is only 700ma. that is a thrower led.
now for a flood i used 3 auto bulbs with 4 5050smd each, had to use boost circuit for them.
power comes from 8xAA nimh, energizer 2300. charging done via 2 bolts\contacts, on bottom sides, there is switch with a glued strong neodymium magnet on its lever inside the body, next to one of the charging contacts. charging cradle has the same magnet, one the come close they repel and switch gets pushed, otherwise one contact is disconnected, and both bolts can be shorted, and nothing will happen.
i did it so it can be in a water without shorting the battery. i like this better than reed switch, or reed\relay.
now, the window was scratched, and got yellow over time, it would kill half the lumens (xp-g at 700 is around 200lm), due to the way it was made i couldn't replace the window, but i replace some of it, i cut out a hole and covered it with 3\16 scratch resistant polycarbonate, screws are stainless steel, with hex head.
the switch is a dx 4 way clicky, press once- xpg is on, press again -off, again 12 smd leds on, again, off.
have not tested it outdoors yet, but as i do I'll report.
xp-g draws 300ma off the battery, smd 200ma, due to boost circuit it it turned out not so low draw as i hoped, but not too bad. also due to increased weight the light no longer floats
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1070032.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/alpg88/P1070027.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
have tested it outdoors, like the way it works, had it on for hours, no problems, it even fell out from second floor terrace, like nothing happened, only few scratches.