Is there a Mule type of light that is AA size????

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I caried the Peak Logan QTC w/momentary on/off and it was a super small and discrete.

I want something similar in size and a deep pocket tailcap is a must too. I just want something dedicated for AA size. The peak logan is a little thicker since it works on both AA Alkalines and AW 17500 cells.

Currently; I have the McGizmo PD Aluminum which is what I always wanted, but its much thicker than the Peak Logan or feels that way. Makes me miss the logan.

Plus, for EDC thin and floody is my new style. AA size with McGizmo pocket clip type. Maybe a clicky??:whistle:

Any ideas?
I can mod my lights so, if you have a hosts in mind that helps too.

Thank you,
bigC

archimedes

Flashaholic
Well, the Peak El Capitan uses an optic, so I imagine you could take that out ... and would essentially be left with a "AA Mule". Of course, you would have to mod some type of new cover lens to protect the emitter, I guess ?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea. Do the guts come out the back of the head when it's unscrewed from the body? Could you just find a lens that is the correct inside diameter and the same thickness as the lip on the optic and swap it out? Or is this one of those things where its all glued together?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak optics are very nice and they offer alot of performance. I just want something 100% flood for EDC.

I am thinking of an older Nitecore PD AA size with pocket clip. Then maybe modifying it someway to make it a mule.

Jose

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I suppose you could get a McGizmo Mule LE/bezel and a 2xAA Clicky Pak - that might work ? :devil:

I had the McGizmo 2*AA tube and its just way way too big for me. It is way too long and probably the fattest AA size light I have seen. Makes the 2*AA Quark seem tiny. Granted, the pretty Ti and McClicky switch and nice heft to it make it obious its a quality piece.

Plus, the E-series bezels are typically 22mm diameter or more. I rather switch to AA size light cause I hope the diameter will be sub 20mm. Which they typically are.

best,
bigC

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a Peak ElCap with a wide optic, and get a Modoo clip.
The El Capitan comes in narrow optic and medium, but not wide. I recently bought a medium El Capitan; its beam is between 17 and 18 degrees, about halfway between a Fenix E05 and a Malkoff Devices M30W.

I'm poised to buy a Peak Volcan AA narrow beam to give me a Peak flooder and a Peak thrower on one keychain. At 0.78 inch (19.8mm), the Volcan's head is just a hair wider than the El Cap's 0.72 inch (18.3mm). I don't know whether the body, too, is 0.06 inch wider.

If anyone in America has a narrow-beam Volcan aluminum AA keyring-style for sale, let me know by PM.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bet a Quark head could be modded easily enough.
A nice deep copper slug with a lip on it to hold the window in place.
The only trick would be extending the wires for the emitter.

I may try this with a 1XAA energizer if I can find a suitable replacement lens. I've had quite a few of them apart in the past.
With an XM-L they are almost as floody as a mule anyway.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
The light 3rd from left is my Jetbeam E3S, and a great titanium clip from Longhorn Tactical. Its a really nice AA setup:

p684150626.jpg

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a pure flood light would work, Zebralight makes pure flood AA lights, both inline [regular flashlight] and right angle ["headlamp" style] if I'm not mistaken. THey have very efficient circuits, and a great UI. To me, it would be either that or a Peak.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
IIRC the only pure flood light ZL is currently selling is the H501 (right angle headlamp running on 1xAA) but they are supposed to be selling some new models in the future. The "Floody" lights they list aren't a purely even beam, more of a very diffused hot spot plus spill. See this page for more info about current and upcoming lights:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Fc0FfUDFVSHVNS1E&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

chaoss

Enlightened
If a pure flood light would work, Zebralight makes pure flood AA lights, both inline [regular flashlight] and right angle ["headlamp" style] if I'm not mistaken. THey have very efficient circuits, and a great UI. To me, it would be either that or a Peak.
Good suggestion.
My current single AA mule is a ZL SC51FW, F for 'frosted'.
Nice even flood with a warmish tint to it.
Tailstands well and because of the frosted lense the glare when used below eye level is acceptable.